6 Certs, 6 Series, 6 Pack, 6 Women. What's Really...

What's Stopping You?

• I'm too lazy.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I don't believe in myself.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • The man is holding black people back.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • nikka, shut your dumbass up.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I'm already there, and I'm still working.

Votes: 21 27.6%

• Total voters

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
@Kid McNamara in regards to CS, you're also missing the point that not everyone will be interested in it. I did it for a year, then switched to engineering. :yeshrug:

I think you're missing the abstract which is, find what you're good at, figure out how to leverage it into a high-paying career, and run with it full speed.

FSP

Banned
Daps
Private industry and higher level Government though. No.

Nobody wants you working on enterprise level networks while you learn on the job. No one wants you trouble-shooting mission critical systems while you Google away searching for answers.

This.

No. He got his CIA job through a career-fair dude.

The NSA hires based off of merit as well. You need to have skills to get in there, then network to move up. :jawalrus:
no if you don't have credential or a superb body of work you're gonna have a hard time

Finding answers to your own questions is part of the job. Learning on the job is part of the job. There is NO WAY anybody comes into a position and already knows everything there is to know, even if you had the same position before. The field is too big. There's too much information. You can't know everything. But you probably already know this

It's not the letter of the law but most likely he knew somebody or somebody knew about him. He worked for Dell before the CIA. Also keep in mind, when you are applying for jobs like that, you are competing against people with college and masters degrees with 10+ years experience. There's a 1% chance he got a job in the fukking CIA without knowing somebody or somebody knowing him because I guarantee you he was chosen over people who were technically more qualified than him. No question
It might not be documented but i can almost guarantee you that was the case.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
I think you're missing the abstract which is, find what you're good at, figure out how to leverage it into a high-paying career, and run with it full speed.
And I'm saying some people are just good at things that won't ever pay as well as they'd like. :manny:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
no if you don't have credential or a superb body of work you're gonna have a hard time

Finding answers to your own questions is part of the job. Learning on the job is part of the job. There is NO WAY anybody comes into a position and already knows everything there is to know, even if you had the same position before. The field is too big. There's too much information. You can't know everything. But you probably already know this

Wait, you're agreeing with me. Having credentials or a superb body of work.

There's a big difference between "on the job" research and being woefully inadequate. Most fall into the latter category but explain it away by claiming the former. If you're hired as a network engineer and don't know the basics of say, the BGP protocol, I don't have time for you to research BGP and run through implementations until you understand. I'm expecting you to have a great deal of knowledge on the subject and then of course, to consult technical documentation in specific instances. I don't need you "learning" on the job.

You really think Google is hiring folks who simply have a "willingness to learn?" Come on, smarten up.

It's not the letter of the law but most likely he knew somebody or somebody knew about him. He worked for Dell before the CIA. Also keep in mind, when you are applying for jobs like that, you are competing against people with college and masters degrees with 10+ years experience. There's a 1% chance he got a job in the fukking CIA without knowing somebody or somebody knowing him because I guarantee you he was chosen over people who were technically more qualified than him. No question
It might not be documented but i can almost guarantee you that was the case.

What are you basing this on?

Are you basing this on you never having worked for, with, or in relation to these organizations? Are you basing this on some shyt you think you know? Are you basing it on what you heard from someone else?

I create a thread like this to inspire and encourage people to get rid of limiting beliefs. No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just throwing shyt out based on some spy movie you watched, or some vague idea of what you think these organizations are looking for.

CIA support positions are not the same as Analyst positions. CIA support positions are not the same as SAD positions (go ahead and google it, you have no idea what it means). Stop spreading false information. :ufdup:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
I'm posting this in order to remove some of the limiting beliefs a lot of you may have regarding getting your paper/status up. (@PhoenixByStorm)

Stats
- No College Degree (not even close)
- Didn't Know a Soul in the DC Metro Area

This is what really happens when you're qualified and apply for a high-level technical position based solely on merit (no connections):

You get an email and telephone call, they express a lot of interest in you:

full

They fly you out (if you're not in the area), interview you, and so on:

full

You get processed, go through a bunch of long drawn out stuff, and you get in (if you know your stuff).

There is nothing stopping you. :blessed:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I think the 6 "certs" concept should be revamped and overhauled.

Not everyone is going to go into computer/IT field, however having 6 CERTIFIED documents does appear to be pertinent to achieving 6 figure or may at least increase ones chances.

Ex: 1) HS Diploma
2) Bachelor's degree
3) Certificate for preparing Personal and business taxes
4) CPA or Pass the Bar Exam or teaching cert or be fluent in a foreign language that you can monetize
5) CCNA
6) Security+ or other security related cert

You may not have to get 6 "certs" or work the 9-5 to get 6 figures, but I agree having 6 documents saying you are an certified/expert/proficient in something can increase the chances of 6 figures/6 dimes/6 series.

I agree with with the theory of promoting 6 "certs" but NOT exclusively for the tech sector, although that is a good move for those not liking their situation

I have 2 or 3 things I would like to get "certified" in the next year beyond my masters degree, I should have 2 of these already but I was bullshiiting somewhat :snoop:

Anyway, since this is a thread about coding/IT I'm going to move to the side and let yall :cook:

You know what you make a good point, I edited your post to illustrate where I am aiming for or already have

GodinDaFlesh

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Godverse
I think the 6 "certs" concept should be revamped and overhauled.

Not everyone is going to go into computer/IT field, however having 6 CERTIFIED documents does appear to be pertinent to achieving 6 figure or may at least increase ones chances.

Ex: 1) HS Diploma
2) Bachelor's degree
3) Master's degree or Law school
4) CPA or Pass the Bar Exam or teaching cert or be fluent in a foreign language that you can monetize
5) something else
6) something else

You may not have to get 6 "certs" or work the 9-5 to get 6 figures, but I agree having 6 documents saying you are an certified/expert/proficient in something can increase the chances of 6 figures/6 dimes/6 series.

I agree with with the theory of promoting 6 "certs" but NOT exclusively for the tech sector, although that is a good move for those not liking their situation

I have 2 or 3 things I would like to get "certified" in the next year beyond my masters degree, I should have 2 of these already but I was bullshiiting somewhat :snoop:

Anyway, since this is a thread about coding/IT I'm going to move to the side and let yall :cook:

Underrated post :ehh: