1 year in, what happened to the PS5 SSD hype?????

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
This right here is exactly my point. How is Xbox even able to match the ps5 without the alien SSD the ps5 has?

Does Xbox have anything like a ratchet ?
We are in the first year of this thing essentially
What does SSD have to do with graphics ?

Where did Sony say specifically graphic fidelity would increase because the speed of the drive ?

I heard them say that the speed of the drive would allow for worlds to be created quicker then ever, maybe more immersion is that what you are referring too ?

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
I can go grab that ssd (a perfectly suitable one) off a shelf. Sony was the first to brag about an SSD being the end all be all when it comes to graphics.
What graphics is that magic SSD producing that is NOT possible on an Xbox?
The tempest audio is the same simulated 3D audio that has been around forever.
I’m a Sony stan. Meach and his cronies will tell you. But I don’t have to sip every ounce of marketing hype.
Yes you can go grab it now but at the time you could not , it was alien technology, pcie4 drives weren’t around . … and still hasn’t even met it’s potential by developers yet

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Does Xbox have anything like a ratchet ?
We are in the first year of this thing essentially
What does SSD have to do with graphics ?

Where did Sony say specifically graphic fidelity would increase because the speed of the drive ?

I heard them say that the speed of the drive would allow for worlds to be created quicker then ever, maybe more immersion is that what you are referring too ?
The marketing was/is near instant load times with the real benefit of the alien drive being the ability to load so fast that we will see a level of detail impossible on any other console. Exponentially more items rendered due to the speed of the drive. Graphics/presentation/visuals would be something we’ve never seen due to the alien drive.
Again. I’m not saying the games haven’t been incredible and that the console is a slouch by any definition. I’m agreeing with the OP statement that it has been overhyped because we are seeing games on par with the ps5 and Xbox didn’t have to spend a tenth of their time bragging about alien tech level ssd’s.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The marketing was/is near instant load times with the real benefit of the alien drive being the ability to load so fast that we will see a level of detail impossible on any other console. Exponentially more items rendered due to the speed of the drive. Graphics/presentation/visuals would be something we’ve never seen due to the alien drive.
Again. I’m not saying the games haven’t been incredible and that the console is a slouch by any definition. I’m agreeing with the OP statement that it has been overhyped because we are seeing games on par with the ps5 and Xbox didn’t have to spend a tenth of their time bragging about alien tech level ssd’s.

Basically they discuss that it’s the I/O compression system that is doing the heavy lifting in R&C and that the SSD is still untapped potential. By Mid gen we will see more big 1st party studios tapping into it.

We’ll see when games like spider-man 2, wolverine, the new naughty dog etc game come out built on the ps5

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
It was great enough design that MS coughed up DirectStorage. :ehh:

But I agree nothing has really come of it yet. Then again, even super high m.2 SSDs don't draw much over your conventional SATA3 in things like load times.

I would hope it pans out for VR if anything. The head panning could use all that theoretical speed in asset loading.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
It was great enough design that MS coughed up DirectStorage. :ehh:

But I agree nothing has really come of it yet. Then again, even super high m.2 SSDs don't draw much over your conventional SATA3 in things like load times.

I would hope it pans out for VR if anything. The head panning could use all that theoretical speed in asset loading.
This

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Meach is right on this one.
Sony hyped up the ssd to be alien technology that only they had access to. They did the same thing with the tempest 3D audio.
All of those things are cool, but they aren’t unique to Sony and therefore, based on Sonys marketing, yes, it was grossly overhyped.
No they did not. Post a link to where Mark Cerny did this.

I can go grab that ssd (a perfectly suitable one) off a shelf. Sony was the first to brag about an SSD being the end all be all when it comes to graphics.
What graphics is that magic SSD producing that is NOT possible on an Xbox?
The tempest audio is the same simulated 3D audio that has been around forever.
I’m a Sony stan. Meach and his cronies will tell you. But I don’t have to sip every ounce of marketing hype.
You're just making shyt up.

Last edited: