1 year in, what happened to the PS5 SSD hype?????

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/is-it-fair-to-say-pcs-will-hold-back-next-gen-consoles.784823/
At least until they also adopt a similar I/O solution that the Ps5/Xbox has? Since developers tend to make their games to cater to the lowest common denominator , and PC's dont have SSD's as a baseline.

This is the video that was referenced that Linus referred to in his clip. The dude speaking is a game developer and he basically translates Cerny's reveal into easy-to-understand language from someone who develops games for a living.

TL;DW:
The PS5 is powerful as shyt and does custom things so that the console it is more efficient than other options. Developers can completely trash a lot of the 'tricks' that they had to utilize before to ensure that everything loaded correctly which results in more freedom to be creative.

As a result of the custom configurations, you cannot have a one-to-one comparison based on the spec sheet which is hard to understand when comparing it to a PC, which is why Linus ended up eating his own words in the video above.

I aint talking about the SSD's , im talking specificically about the I/O architecture in the PS5 which is not currently in the PC market, even the guy in the video mentions it and im sure he knows more than all of you combined.
A pc's SSD still have all kind of bottlenecks that the PS5 was able to bypass. Like do you think the revolutionary part of the ps5 is the SSD? did you even watch the video? :stopitslime:

And up until now , Consoles have always mandated the baseline when it came to specs . Game developers never had to enforce a SSD requirement due to consoles not having one.
and do you think the majority of PC gamers have an SSD?

As a dude that has never even played a PS4 game, I don't think any of you watched the video in the first post lol.

It shows one of the most knowledgeable PC YouTubers publicly apologizing for misunderstanding the infrastructure of the PS5 and making the same arguments yall are making.

:francis:
Timestamped:

Sony + AMD are partnering for the PS5 and will transfer any applicable benefits to PC

Timestamped:

:gucci:
It isn't just the SSD. You can replace the SSD and get the same results:
Timestamped:

:mjlol:

Daps
Remember PS5 “super fast SSD” was supposed to “revolutionize” gaming and offer new worlds not possible on any other platform. Better graphics than even the most powerful PCs. :ohhh:

No more elevator rides :mjlol:

Sony stans, what happened??? Surely by now some of the SSD hype should have shown some results??
Digital Foundry, which stands at the forefront of breaking down the technology driving these games, named Ratchet and Clank as its GOTY. One of the reasons being the technology behind it, especially the seamless transitions between each world.

:russ:

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
The marketing was/is near instant load times with the real benefit of the alien drive being the ability to load so fast that we will see a level of detail impossible on any other console. Exponentially more items rendered due to the speed of the drive. Graphics/presentation/visuals would be something we’ve never seen due to the alien drive.
Again. I’m not saying the games haven’t been incredible and that the console is a slouch by any definition. I’m agreeing with the OP statement that it has been overhyped because we are seeing games on par with the ps5 and Xbox didn’t have to spend a tenth of their time bragging about alien tech level ssd’s.
1st year games never truly take advantage of the console specs :yeshrug:
Once we leave last gen behind , and developers like naughty dog/Santa monica develop PS5 exclusive games...then we will see if all this SSD talk was rubbish or not.

I dont believe the only thing this gen will introduce will be prettier graphics.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
9hxbls3zmc151.jpg

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Remember PS5 “super fast SSD” was supposed to “revolutionize” gaming and offer new worlds not possible on any other platform. Better graphics than even the most powerful PCs. :ohhh:

No more elevator rides :mjlol:

Sony stans, what happened??? Surely by now some of the SSD hype should have shown some results??
i regularly talk to my online brehs about how things load so fast on PS5

you're a clown breh

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I really hope they release ratchet and clank on PC, just to see what the minimum requirements will be.

if they can make it run on a regular HDD , without taking a hit...then you win this battle :yeshrug:
Stop it.

That shyt ain’t doing nothing special. That portal shyt is a gimmick that could be pulled off on any machine.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime:So the Xbox is “slow” by comparison now?
I have 2 series X’s and a PS5. When it comes to booting up a game the differences are negligible.

Yes it has been shown to be faster than the X-Box by DF and others. It's faster than the competition, as Sony claimed.