Zoe Saldana: There Is No Such Thing As People Of Color

NubianVitruvian

Retired
Daps
To yourself in your head yes. But whatever happened to you in society it can makes you incarcerated, someone with a criminal record, someone who has been arrested, etc. And they all have stereotype/stigmas attached to them.
They may not be true especially to you but being identified as such does place some judgement in most people's psyche when looking at you. That's reality.

Sad but true. But its about how YOU handle this harsh reality. Life isn't fair. We have to try harder to get the same basic rights as other races. It's messed up. Your a representative of your race wherever you go.

Some nikkas don't care how they are perceived, or how people base thier stereotypes on them, Gucci Mane, Cheef Keef. And thats 100 percent fair, you shouldn't base your perception of a whole race on one person. Even if they are Denzel or Will Smith.

It's about us as a collective. The weakest links in the chain.

Blacks don't have the racial unity other races have, due to slavery. And even with stuff like this, where we won't let our women just be a woman.

We need to change the expectations that we have for our race. Start hitting ratchets with the :beli: fvck is you doing? and Keep it moving by empowering ourselves individually and as a community. But "nikkas hate nikkas and nikkas bad for business." Its a vicious cycle. We're attacked from within and without.

Again it's all about what YOU do to advance the race as an example for blacks, and for people in general.

*steps off soapbox*

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
People have thought I was every race under the Sun but white, but most people say they figured I was black mixed with something else after I tell them. When I was in middle school and high school, everybody thought I was Puerto Rican at first for some reason.

When you have said you were a black man which group gave you the most opposition in you defining yourself? Black/white/asian/indian, etc.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
To yourself in your head yes. But whatever happened to you in society it can makes you incarcerated, someone with a criminal record, someone who has been arrested, etc. And they all have stereotype/stigmas attached to them.
They may not be true especially to you but being identified as such does place some judgement in most people's psyche when looking at you. That's reality.

You still don't seem to get my point. Even if someone is stigmatized and oppressed due to their race, that's due to someone else's ignorance and avarice, and that may define someone's conditions, but it should not define someone's identity. To let your own personal identity be defined by others in society in negative ways is a poisonous thought process that is self-defeating.

fukk does me, you, or anyone else look like saying "I'm perceived this way by people who hate me, so that's what I am"? Using that logic, black people might as well believe we're all dumb, lazy, and inferior because that's what society says we were throughout most of this nation's history. And unfortunately too many did actually believe that

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I'm black. I'm apart of w/e blacks go through. We acknowledge that cops would beat my ass for the colour of my skin. I was a part of the struggle since birth, brother. We ALL are.

I just don't like the whole race war thing. If I can keep the peace with anyone, despite the colour of their race, I'm cool. But it's people, cops, racists, etc outside my circle who have a problem with me, or us. Then I have a problem with them. I don't go around picking fights with whites to prove my blackness. My skin is enough breh.

To me, I'm at peace. Until someone bring war to my doorstep, then I meet them with the same animosity they meet me with, within the parameters of the situation. But my goal is always to return to peace.

Again, For some of us its about being people on planet Earth. To others its about blacks vs whites vs asians vs browns.

But don't try to put me on the side of white or blacks or w/e. I'm about peace bruh, what we ALL want, and I'm willing to go to war for it. The enemy changes.

You are part of the struggle we have established that and it is great.
Now let's bring it back to Zoe, she is trying to separate herself from the struggle like you did earlier. The only reason she can even fix her mouth or face to say some shyt like that is because shyt is sweet for her right now. But like you seemingly momentarily forgot all that shyt can come to a crashing end based on your ethnicity so let's not deny it. Especially when millions upon millions don't have it as sweet. That's my only point, we can only talk about the struggle being over for any of us when the least of us aren't in peril anymore.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Thats what i said. :manny: Theres a certain look you have to have to be considered "black" and if you have a mix of european/black features many people around the planet, including those in Africa do not consider you black. N if you're light skinned, theres even less chance most people on the planet will consider you to be black. Even you yourself have said that you dont consider me or VVD to be black men which to me seems like proof, unless, you're just trolling. :manny:

lol, i could care less what you look like and i definitely have never said anything about you or vvd level's of blackness, you're confusing me with somebody else

all im saying is you posted shyt that is even further than anything saldana has ever said, she might go on tangents now and then but saldana has always made it very clear that she is black, that is why i dont have beef with her, you on the other hand have said some very suspect things while going around questioning other people's blackness and calling people nikkas while claiming not to be a nikka

NubianVitruvian

Retired
Daps
You still don't seem to get my point. Even if someone is stigmatized and oppressed due to their race, that's due to someone else's ignorance and avarice, and that may define someone's conditions, but it should not define someone's identity. To let your own personal identity be defined by others in society in negative ways is a poisonous thought process that is self-defeating.

fukk does me, you, or anyone else look like saying "I'm perceived this way by people who hate me, so that's what I am"? Using that logic, black people might as well believe we're all dumb, lazy, and inferior because that's what society says we were throughout most of this nation's history. And unfortunately too many did actually believe that

Our problem exactly. We let others define us instead of defining ourselves. It's hard to be an individual. Look at the hate Zoe's getting. But in the end it liberates that individual and others who follow the example of being yourself.

Be yourself and be ORIGINAL. That's what we do :myman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
When you have said you were a black man which group gave you the most opposition in you defining yourself? Black/white/asian/indian, etc.

I never had real opposition beyond immature dozens-type shyt, which I engaged in myself. Not malicious rejection. As far as that goes, black people for the simple fact that my social circle was always mostly black.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Personal identity is great, but it is just that personal.
I'm speaking about your actual identity, what is anyone who has ever known you going to say about you? I'm positive they are going to use a bunch of societal norms in the description. It's just reality my G. Get used to it.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
lol, i could care less what you look like and i definitely have never said anything about you or vvd level's of blackness, you're confusing me with somebody else

all im saying is you posted shyt that is even further than anything saldana has ever said, she might go on tangents now and then but saldana has always made it very clear that she is black, that is why i dont have beef with her, you on the other hand have said some very suspect things while going around questioning other people's blackness and calling people nikkas
Yea, you did say that.

What im trying to address are the people in the world who have a clear template for what a black man/female is and mixed people have a struggle fitting into that because of a mix of features that are not traditionally african. Its very true that mixed people are claimed in a very wishy washy way by the black community and many people outside of America who come in contact with mixed people do not consider them black and consider them, something else. This is why i say they claim you when you reject them and dont claim you when they have to compete.

Just look at how light skinned girls get treated by darker skinned chicks.

NubianVitruvian

Retired
Daps
You are part of the struggle we have established that and it is great.
Now let's bring it back to Zoe, she is trying to separate herself from the struggle like you did earlier. The only reason she can even fix her mouth or face to say some shyt like that is because shyt is sweet for her right now. But like you seemingly momentarily forgot all that shyt can come to a crashing end based on your ethnicity so let's not deny it. Especially when millions upon millions don't have it as sweet. That's my only point, we can only talk about the struggle being over for any of us when the least of us aren't in peril anymore.

:ohhh:

but look at how we attack those who are beyond it. Crabs in a bucket.

Please explain to me how she left us behind? It may seem that way because she has what we all want, freedom of individuality, within and without our skin, success etc.

And we can NEVER be seperated from the struggle as long as there is racism.

But we as a collective have to put our foot down about ourselves and our rights. It starts with the individual. But yo, we let the brother Trayvon die and no Justice came of it. Its stuff like that where we need to raise a Ruckus and we don't. Why is that? real talks. I'm Canadian and that shyt still pisses me off to this day. :rip:

We are divided more than any other race. Africans and American. Carribbeans. Within the States themselves. Light vs Darkskin.

I have the unity in my heart and soul breh. Believe me. We need to stop arguing over ourselves.

Its really Plato's Cave bruh... exactly like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is the problem? Her views or her acting?

Zoe isn't bad acting...but Nina was a thicker woman and her charisma in concert and interviews was...:wow: her views also would not be fully represented.

There is another actress that could play N.S. but I can't remember name.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Yea, you did say that.

hmmm no, i have never said anything even close about you or vvd not being black, i have no idea where you got that from, a lot of people have said things like that but certainly not me

i call people whatever they want to be called, it doesnt bother me either way, vvd says he is black so i consider him black, saldana says she is black so i consider her black, tiger woods says he is not black so i dont consider him black etc

im not sure what you consider yourself, i guess you are cape verdean or something, i dont really know, but let me know and that is what i will consider you

im pretty open when it comes to such things, humans have the fundamental individual right to define themselves imo, i may not agree but i respect individual freedom

What im trying to address are the people in the world who have a clear template for what a black man/female is and mixed people have a struggle fitting into that because of a mix of features that are not traditionally african. Its very true that mixed people are claimed in a very wishy washy way by the black community and many people outside of America who come in contact with mixed people do not consider them black and consider them, something else. This is why i say they claim you when you reject them and dont claim you when they have to compete.

Just look at how light skinned girls get treated by darker skinned chicks.

ok sure

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:ohhh:

but look at how we attack those who are beyond it. Crabs in a bucket.

Please explain to me how she left us behind? It may seem that way because she has what we all want, freedom of individuality, within and without our skin, success etc.

And we can NEVER be seperated from the struggle as long as there is racism.

But we as a collective have to put our foot down about ourselves and our rights. It starts with the individual. But yo, we let the brother Trayvon die and no Justice came of it. Its stuff like that where we need to raise a Ruckus and we don't. Why is that? real talks. I'm Canadian and that shyt still pisses me off to this day. :rip:

We are divided more than any other race. Africans and American. Carribbeans. Within the States themselves. Light vs Darkskin.

I have the unity in my heart and soul breh. Believe me. We need to stop arguing over ourselves.

Somebody Told A Lie - MLK that's never quoted - YouTube

Its really Plato's Cave bruh... exactly like it.

:snoop:

She's not beyond it, no one is. That's my point!