Zoe Saldana: There Is No Such Thing As People Of Color

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of race in and of itself. The problem with race is the white supremacist ideology that Europeans have applied to the racial classifications. There's no need to reject the concept of race because it's simply a way of classifying people. The white supremacist ideology that Europeans have applied to race is what needs to be rejected. Black people(people of color) who run around kicking that "I don't see color, I don't let racists define me I define myself" bullshyt are nothing but passive aggressive c00ns. First of all they're lying, everybody sees race, you can't ignore it. It's not that they don't see race, it's that they don't want to be asociated with their race. If you notice, the same people on that bullshyt are also white apologists. There's nothing wrong with being defined as black. Unless you actually believe the "black/dark skinned people are inferior to white/light skinned" people hype that whites have perpetuated then why would you have a problem with being defined as black? You c00ns aren't slick. Race is and always has been a major part of a person's definition, especially if you're black. That doesn't mean that being black is the end all be all to who a person is but the concept of race is a fact of life and there's no getting around it. All around the world, people with darker skin are oppressed and taught that they're inferior to people with lighter skin. Darker skinned people who don't want to acknowledge that or want to move past that struggle only perpetuate that racist ideology. The only way to end white/light supremacy is to reject it completely. You can't reject something without being conscious of it. Dark skinned people have to start taking pride in being dark along with embracing all other dark skinned people because we're all united by our dark skin. Again, people like Saldana, Berry, ect. are passive aggressive c00ns. They're only black when it's convenient. They only embrace their blackness when it benefits them or when whites make it clear to them that they aren't white. As long as their being accepted they don't see or acknowledge race and wish that everybody else did the same. They hate being reminded that their black and it's obvious.

Besides the lack of paragraph spacing, this post is excellent. You're right on the money.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
This thread is historically significant. Never have I seen such a powerful combination of unapologetic pro-black realists and Uncle Tom "race ain't that big of a deal yo" apologists.

shyt is funny to read. Zoe Saldana is a beautiful black woman but a very stupid one who doesn't take much pride in her race. It's written all over her views, who she dates, and the movie roles she took before the Nina Simone biopic.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
:laff: @ how dude said he was "with banks in southside"

shyt came outta nowhere :dead:

and if you west indian, them and hatians are on that :mjpls: shyt heavy just like dominicans. Too many of them dont even fukk with "African-Americans" like that.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
It's other people that make race a problem. Racism comes from not being about to deal with the other

It's a tough issue. The productive conversation would be, how do we get our neighbors to treat us as equals or how do we improve ourselves as a race, theoretically and practically or how do we proactively and possitively deal with these race issues. It's a two way street, but how do we do our part individually, as a community, etc. But that is a thread in and of itself.

Maybe it's because I'm drunk but I'm not following you, you're going to have run this by me again

FreshABM

Dollaz make Sense $$ ABM Commas After My Commas
Daps
Reppin
ABM Headquarters The Flossy Life
:laff: @ how dude said he was "with banks in southside"

shyt came outta nowhere :dead:

and if you west indian, them and hatians are on that :mjpls: shyt heavy just like dominicans. Too many of them dont even fukk with "African-Americans" like that.

I brought up banks because son who I was talking about looks like jcpenny indian version of him :pachaha:

Only reason I even replied to this post was because of what you said about west indians :beli: ...

STOP IT :stopitslime:

West Indian KNOW that their black and we not on no dominicans type of shyt ..so don't even start that up or try to run with that

and it isn't that west indians don't fukk with african american..we have differences based on how certain ppl try to divide us.......

west indians don't really learn about how hard or struggles that african americans had ...

education in the islands are controlled by we know who

so its more of a misunderstanding...west indians usually come here with NOTHING having to get it ..point blank...so when they see african american
who might seem not to try to be progressing they like :leon:

but black descendants of slaves in America have had their own list of problems to deal with .. just like west indians.. we just don't learn too much about the differences and the common shyt till we cross paths..

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens

I brought up banks because son who I was talking about looks like jcpenny indian version of him :pachaha:

Only reason I even replied to this post was because of what you said about west indians :beli: ...

STOP IT :stopitslime:

West Indian KNOW that their black and we not on no dominicans type of shyt ..so don't even start that up or try to run with that

and it isn't that west indians don't fukk with african american..we have differences based on how certain ppl try to divide us.......

west indians don't really learn about how hard or struggles that african americans had ...

education in the islands are controlled by we know who

so its more of a misunderstanding...west indians usually come here with NOTHING having to get it ..point blank...so when they see african american
who might seem not to try to be progressing they like :leon:

but black descendants of slaves in America have had their own list of problems to deal with .. just like west indians.. we just don't learn too much about the differences and the common shyt till we cross paths..

not saying you wrong but anything can be brushed off as a "misunderstanding."

Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk are y'all dissing for? She's exactly right. Racial archetypes
are dumb man-made social construct that no individual has to be beholden to.

and what, exactly, does this have to do with reality? what she said is a fantasy. in the real world, the one even she lives in, white people see black skin and assume the worst. that's how it has always been, and that is how it shall remain.

so, zoe can go to sleep with this ideal vision of a race-neutral society, but she spends every morning waking up a "******" in the eyes of those whites she so desperately craves to be accepted by.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
and what, exactly, does this have to do with reality? what she said is a fantasy. in the real world, the one even she lives in, white people see black skin and assume the worst. that's how it has always been, and that is how it shall remain.

so, zoe can go to sleep with this ideal vision of a race-neutral society, but she spends every morning waking up a "******" in the eyes of those whites she so desperately craves to be accepted by.
You can be a weak-minded defeated man and think of yourself as a ******, allowing people who hate you to define how you identify with yourself all you want, but nobody else has to follow your path of defeat and self-inflicted wounding.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You can be a weak-minded defeated man and think of yourself as a ******, allowing people who hate you to define how you identify with yourself all you want, but nobody else has to follow your path of defeat and self-inflicted wounding.

It's not being weak minded to see things as reality. I don't necessarily have a problem with what Zoe said, but I do think it was a little naive. Rejecting the definition of those that hate you won't make them hate you any less.

In my opinion the "I don't see race" line of thinking makes a person more of a victim. No matter what you personaly "see" reality is still there. So by not "seeing" it your subjecting yourself to that reality with no type of knowledge or defense to protect yourself.

Fervid

Largest Member
Daps
Someone tell Mowgli/Mr. Somebody that green type guy is trying to take his job.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

When did I ever say I'm a "******"? You notice that I placed the term within quotes? All I did was note how delusional she must be if she thinks the vast majority of whites do not hold her - and every other black - in contempt.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People are a prisoner in their own minds. But it's not their fault. They were conditioned by people around them growing up.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
The problem is that this is a nuanced issue, so when you don't say it as accurately and articulately as possible, it's very, very easy to misinterpret the message. That was the problem here. She didn't really express herself all that well- most people are not going to listen closely and parse out the details.

Exactly..

Most people, including her, can't articulate what she is tryin to say properly.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
It's not being weak minded to see things as reality. I don't necessarily have a problem with what Zoe said, but I do think it was a little naive. Rejecting the definition of those that hate you won't make them hate you any less.
Who said anything about making anyone hate you less? She was talking about how she identifies and views herself.

In my opinion the "I don't see race" line of thinking makes a person more of a victim. No matter what you personaly "see" reality is still there. So by not "seeing" it your subjecting yourself to that reality with no type of knowledge or defense to protect yourself.

Who said "I don't see race"? She's didn't say that. She's rejecting the present socially-constructed racial hierarchy, which all people of sound mind and soul should. I didn't see her say she doesn't acknowledge racial realities.

It seems a bunch of people in this thread are just adding a whole bunch of shyt they want to grind their axe about on to her comments and reading way more into it than what was said.

I expect to see the usual idiots with their "c00n this, c00n that" comments, but I'm surprised to see some of the more intelligent, respectable posters acting like there's some huge problem with her comments. She's talking about her personal experience as a multiracial black woman.

Ginathataintnodamnpuppy was exactly right. No matter how she worded it people were going to attach a bunch of emotional baggage soapbox rant bullshyt to it.