Zoe Saldana: There Is No Such Thing As People Of Color

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I know, I'm just saying acting like the whole races thing doesn't exist is silly, which I believe is what she was saying?? That she does'nt see races? That's silly, it's right in front of you.

We should be striving to make racism something that is shameful...that's how we truly defeat it, IMO

i dont even know what you mean exactly but i dont think what she is saying is anywhere as serious as you are making it out to be, from what i understood is that she doesnt let race define her or define other people

which is another way of saying is that race is just a social construct, and by accepting that social construct you are validating racism ( i think that is what she is saying)

im not co-signing it, but the whole "race is a social construct" is pretty widespread and like she explained, she grew up different

so to me i see her views as a part of the intellectual diversity in the black community, i m not really seeing anything to trip about, i think intellectual diversity is healthy

but then again im the same guy that defends black republicans under the same principle of intellectual diversity, i personally think black people are in an intellectual rut so im not wedded to a lot of standard ideas about race in the black community, im open to what zoe or any other black person has to say

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
In 1925 Missisippi, Zoe Saldana would not be able to sit at the same tables as some of her co-stars.

Sorry babe...you're black. There's no tiptoeing around it. Racists and bigots just gotta die, that's all.

shyt, in 2013...sh can't even go to many of the same auditions as some of her costars. And she's supposed to be an "it girl".

Stupid bytch is feeling herself too much.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
i dont even know what you mean exactly but i dont think what she is saying is anywhere as serious as you are making it out to be, from what i understood is that she doesnt let race define her or define other people

which is another way of saying is that race is just a social construct, and by accepting that social construct you are validating racism ( i think that is what she is saying)

im not co-signing it, but the whole "race is a social construct" is pretty widespread and like she explained, she grew up different

so to me i see her views as a part of the intellectual diversity in the black community, i m not really seeing anything to trip about, i think intellectual diversity is healthy

but then again im the same guy that defends black republicans under the same principle of intellectual diversity, i personally think black people are in an intellectual rut so im not wedded to a lot of standard ideas about race in the black community, im open to what zoe or any other black person has to say
You're just a clown who likes to go against the grain to make yourself feel special. It's insecurity.

She doesn't need to be defended from any of the legit criticisms that have been made about her comments in this thread. What she said was insulting and worthy of criticism.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
You're just a clown who likes to go against the grain to make yourself feel special. It's insecurity.

She doesn't need to be defended from any of the legit criticisms that have been made about her comments in this thread. What she said was insulting and worthy of criticism.

i dont go against the grain to make myself feel special, i ve just had a lot of deep thoughts and come to different conclusions

and a lot of yall attacking her dont really impress me im not really down with trying to shut down the conversation based on calling somebody a sellout cuz i think black people are currently in an intellectual rut

Gravity

Banned
Daps
i dont go against the grain to make myself feel special, i ve just had a lot of deep thoughts and come to different conclusions

and a lot of yall attacking her dont really impress me im not really down with trying to shut down the conversation based on calling somebody a sellout cuz i think black people are currently in an intellectual rut
People are what they are. The truth should never shut down a conversation. If I had the opportunity to respond to her comments personally, I wouldn't call her any names but a certainly would explain why her position is on some sellout shyt. With all due respect. According to her, there's no such thing as "people of color" or "black" people.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
People are what they are. The truth should never shut down a conversation. If I had the opportunity to respond to her comments personally, I wouldn't call her any names but a certainly would explain why her position is on some sellout shyt. With all due respect. According to her, there's no such thing as "people of color" or "black" people.

i dont know what you want me to tell you, under the notion that race is a social construct, it follows that there is no such thing as black people or people of color

im not co-signing i just dont get bent out of shape over it

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think she's trying to say she doesn't see race. She doesn't wake up thinking "I'm black, fvck cacs". She just sees people as people.

I get where she's coming from. She doesn't live that dualistic life. To some of you "There's no such thing as people of color means 'no niccas'. But to someone outside of that thinking, you stop and try to interpret what she really meant. "People are people, despite our perceived racial barriers".

Granted we DO have racial backgrounds hailing from different parts of the world, bloodlines, skin tones, etc. But there's no shame in that. I think she sees beyond that. It wasn't worded in a way to have the "Black vs white" crowd to understand. And they usually are quick to categorize.

I am a soul born into a negro body, but my soul and mind doesn't let my skin define the entirety of who I am. We see how others define the life of a negro male. My soul lives to make it own definition of life. It just happens to be in a negro body. I'm cool with that.

nothing is wrong with this in THEORY. and this is the TRUTH on the bottom of all the crap we all deal with in the world. but i've said this a thousand times. so lets go over it again. it doesnt matter if I mr blackman doesnt see color. but mr white man does. especially if mr white man is in a position of power. he will change the game to make it so that its a color struct situation vs a SOUL vs SOUL situation as she described. this is the REALITY on the ground. you can have your theories all you want. can you apply them to the REAL WORLD? if the answer is no. then stop saying this stuff. because you confuse other people of color into a fantasy land not understand the truth. the thing is maybe ZOE knows the deal. so she can say this and still know how to survive out here without losing her mind the moment she finds out white folks dont like people of color(in general, not all, just in general).
again, Zoe may know whats up. but she should not put this kind of THEORY speak out there in the public, you keep that to a close room of friends/fam. otherwise you run the risk of making more people like that DUmb Broad on the dr. Laura show. where she was black, married a white guy and was all up in arms because her husband wouldnt do anything about his white friends clowning her and making black jokes around her all the time. that was her first wakeup call. and she actually THOUGHT it was all gravy enough to call the Dr laura show. Dr laura is a WHITE woman that exposed herself in that show for being racist. but again how dumb was that black lady for marrying that white man with those kind of buddies and him not having a back bone. did she just see that this late in the game? or was she in fantasy land like what ZOE is speaking of.

NubianVitruvian

Retired
Daps
nothing is wrong with this in THEORY. and this is the TRUTH on the bottom of all the crap we all deal with in the world. but i've said this a thousand times. so lets go over it again. it doesnt matter if I mr blackman doesnt see color. but mr white man does. especially if mr white man is in a position of power. he will change the game to make it so that its a color struct situation vs a SOUL vs SOUL situation as she described. this is the REALITY on the ground. you can have your theories all you want. can you apply them to the REAL WORLD? if the answer is no. then stop saying this stuff. because you confuse other people of color into a fantasy land not understand the truth. the thing is maybe ZOE knows the deal. so she can say this and still know how to survive out here without losing her mind the moment she finds out white folks dont like people of color(in general, not all, just in general).
again, Zoe may know whats up. but she should not put this kind of THEORY speak out there in the public, you keep that to a close room of friends/fam. otherwise you run the risk of making more people like that DUmb Broad on the dr. Laura show. where she was black, married a white guy and was all up in arms because her husband wouldnt do anything about his white friends clowning her and making black jokes around her all the time. that was her first wakeup call. and she actually THOUGHT it was all gravy enough to call the Dr laura show. Dr laura is a WHITE woman that exposed herself in that show for being racist. but again how dumb was that black lady for marrying that white man with those kind of buddies and him not having a back bone. did she just see that this late in the game? or was she in fantasy land like what ZOE is speaking of.

the TRUTH IS we are all souls born into different coloured bodies. It's ignorance of this fact that causes racism and this "reality"

We all come from one Source.
This is called enlightenment.

If we all had this understanding, there wouldnt be race problems. Not all of us do. But if all of us DID, we would have a different "reality"

The real question, is what can we do today, to reach that reality in the future?

Now from this universal point of view, this universal truth is where we should all TRY to operate from. It doesn't happen. Hate is perpetuated and taught throughout generations. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It doesn't have to be permanent if we teach people tolerance through our actions and examples.

The thing is, No one is going to hold your hand.
We ALL deal with it. We ALL have to make it better, first for ourselves, then our races, then for all people.

Yeah the white man, thinks of us as second class. It is not our life duty to teach him otherwise, but do whatever we can to be first class in our lives, for ourselves and our community.

Is it a fantasy? :beli: Its a vision, its a goal, its not here yet. But :mindblown: for our kids in a few generation?
It's worth living and fighting for. Not everyone on this planet is racist. We need to increase the population of tolerant people. They racism continues because we accept it as "normal" as our "reality". It is abnormal to me, even when it is in action, racism is abnormal. You rise above it any way YOU can.

Empower yourself so your not at the mercy of the white man. THIS is where the fantasy needs to end that the white man is in control of EVERYTHING. They do NOT. They try everyday to convince you that they do. Yes people of colour are struggling. But they are people, just like the white man that are "making them struggle". No, we don't have the same opportunities, the same advantages, etc. But look at how many rappers, scientists, inventors, etc we have that are successful IN FACE of the racism.

Your black so you have to struggle your whole life? :stopitslime:

I don't know everyone's struggle. I'm sure lots are going through things that would have made me crack. But that's the same drive that's got me like this.

"If I can do it, you can do it, you started with more than me" Gucci Mane

Its a long, steep climb. WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE?

Yes they can do things to us, their cops can beat us down shoot us, and we just :yeshrug: nikka moment. But are we just going to sit there and wait for that to happen? Or study and work hard to become a lawyer, judge, internal affairs etc to stop that shyt? We need more blacks doing these things. It isn't going to happen unless we make it happen. And there's money in that.

Will racism end in our life time? No, probably not. Should we make it our duties to try to bring an enlightened world into existence, even with all the racist bs we deal with today? Absolutely YES.

Do what YOU can. Start a business, become an owner, hire blacks give us those opportunities. Inspire others. Sounds cheesy but we acting like its others that determine our future. They only set up the obstacles for us to triumph over. Is it going to happen tomorrow? No? Is it going to be easy? No, It's going to be hard, hell yeah, but its not impossible.

It's like after Martin and Malcolm died we all just :yeshrug:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
i dont know what you want me to tell you, under the notion that race is a social construct, it follows that there is no such thing as black people or people of color

im not co-signing i just dont get bent out of shape over it
What? Race as a social construct is real, it's just not based on science and genetics. Saying that you don't believe in the concept of race is like saying that you don't believe in the concept of time. Time is nothing but a social construct as well.

Stop trying to low key defend this chic. If you aren't cosigning her then take the cape off. What she said was stupid and ignorant. She's even contradicting things that she's said in the past. I've actually heard her claim that she was proud of being a black latina in the past, now here she is claiming not to believe in race. How can she be proud to be a black latina woman when she doesn't even believe that there is a such thing as a black people?

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the TRUTH IS we are all souls born into different coloured bodies. It's ignorance of this fact that causes racism and this "reality"

We all come from one Source.
This is called enlightenment.

If we all had this understanding, there wouldnt be race problems. Not all of us do. But if all of us DID, we would have a different "reality"

The real question, is what can we do today, to reach that reality in the future?

Now from this universal point of view, this universal truth is where we should all TRY to operate from. It doesn't happen. Hate is perpetuated and taught throughout generations. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It doesn't have to be permanent if we teach people tolerance through our actions and examples.

The thing is, No one is going to hold your hand.
We ALL deal with it. We ALL have to make it better, first for ourselves, then our races, then for all people.

Yeah the white man, thinks of us as second class. It is not our life duty to teach him otherwise, but do whatever we can to be first class in our lives, for ourselves and our community.

Is it a fantasy? :beli: Its a vision, its a goal, its not here yet. But :mindblown: for our kids in a few generation?
It's worth living and fighting for. Not everyone on this planet is racist. We need to increase the population of tolerant people. They racism continues because we accept it as "normal" as our "reality". It is abnormal to me, even when it is in action, racism is abnormal. You rise above it any way YOU can.

Empower yourself so your not at the mercy of the white man. THIS is where the fantasy needs to end that the white man is in control of EVERYTHING. They do NOT. They try everyday to convince you that they do. Yes people of colour are struggling. But they are people, just like the white man that are "making them struggle". No, we don't have the same opportunities, the same advantages, etc. But look at how many rappers, scientists, inventors, etc we have that are successful IN FACE of the racism.

Your black so you have to struggle your whole life? :stopitslime:

I don't know everyone's struggle. I'm sure lots are going through things that would have made me crack. But that's the same drive that's got me like this.

"If I can do it, you can do it, you started with more than me" Gucci Mane

Its a long, steep climb. WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE?

Yes they can do things to us, their cops can beat us down shoot us, and we just :yeshrug: nikka moment. But are we just going to sit there and wait for that to happen? Or study and work hard to become a lawyer, judge, internal affairs etc to stop that shyt? We need more blacks doing these things. It isn't going to happen unless we make it happen. And there's money in that.

Will racism end in our life time? No, probably not. Should we make it our duties to try to bring an enlightened world into existence, even with all the racist bs we deal with today? Absolutely YES.

Do what YOU can. Start a business, become an owner, hire blacks give us those opportunities. Inspire others. Sounds cheesy but we acting like its others that determine our future. They only set up the obstacles for us to triumph over. Is it going to happen tomorrow? No? Is it going to be easy? No, It's going to be hard, hell yeah, but its not impossible.

It's like after Martin and Malcolm died we all just :yeshrug:

you still dont get it. its not US. US being people of color. that need to change our way of thinking.

i have to remind myself that i'm a person of color or else some white cac will.if you know what i mean. then i will be blindsided.

if racist white people would give up their racist ways. we could all live in the TRUE reality of it all. we're all of one race. we're all humans'.

OR if people of color take over and change the game. but we have to take control first before we go there.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
What? Race as a social construct is real, it's just not based on science and genetics. Saying that you don't believe in the concept of race is like saying that you don't believe in the concept of time. Time is nothing but a social construct as well.

the point of saying something is a construct is that it doesnt exist for real, it just exists in your head, if something just exists in your head its not real, its only real because you accept it as real, its your choice whether to accept it as real

time isnt a construct, time is a part of nature, now a clock is a social construct, its your choice whether you want to abide by a clock or not

Stop trying to low key defend this chic. If you aren't cosigning her then take the cape off. What she said was stupid and ignorant. She's even contradicting things that she's said in the past. I've actually heard her claim that she was proud of being a black latina in the past, now here she is claiming not to believe in race. How can she be proud to be a black latina woman when she doesn't even believe that there is a such thing as a black people?

im defending her intellectual freedom, and she has said she is black a bunch of times, that is why i dont get bent out of shape over some philosophical mumbo jumbo she spits, i just take it as an interesting opinion

what she was saying is that she doesnt let race define her and other people, not that black people dont exist, if race is a social construct then a person has the right to use that construct however they want

Gravity

Banned
Daps
the point of saying something is a construct is that it doesnt exist for real, it just exists in your head, if something just exists in your head its not real, its only real because you accept it as real, its your choice whether to accept it as real

time isnt a construct, time is a part of nature, now a clock is a social construct, its your choice whether you want to abide by a clock or not

im defending her intellectual freedom, and she has said she is black a bunch of times, that is why i dont get bent out of shape over some philosophical mumbo jumbo she spits, i just take it as an interesting opinion

what she was saying is that she doesnt let race define her and other people, not that black people dont exist, if race is a social construct then a person has the right to use that construct however they want

:snoop: You're a complete idiot.