YouTube censorship is getting out of control

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
being a big youtube star can be stressful man. im not saying its a 9 to 5 job stressful but they have their fair share of stress. they have to edit videos (which can take a while depending on how heavy they edit), deal with death threats, upload at least once every two weeks to get paid, do whatever is popular so they don't get irrelevant, and if one video goes down due to some fair use copyright bullshyt it could easily mean the end of your channel.

Filthy frank got seizures from stressing himself out with videos. I Hate everything almost had his youtube completely removed for no reason causing lots of stress, etc.

lets also not forget the mob mentality lots of big youtube stars can start. if pewdiepie say's you're a stupid piece of shyt then your youtube channel is over and you will receive countless death threats so you have to be nice to everyone even if you don't like them.
It might not be physical work but it's still a job most here wouldn't want to do. People from the outside looking in don't really look hard enough to see what's going on but many of these YouTubers spend upwards of 10+ hours a day working on their channels. There's a lot of stuff they do behind the scenes.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I had that video up for like 2 years before that happened though. like someone already said, youtube used to be like the wild west. but things changed as they moved towards being more legit. and those changes are still happening

you still have the option to upload (almost) whatever you want. and you can secure your own advertisers (basically put some "this is sponsored by audible.com..." segment in your video). but if you want to use their monetization system, you have to play by their rules
It doesn't matter how long you had the video up, it wasn't your content. And again, I'm not saying you shouldn't have to play by their rules. I'm saying that they shouldn't be lazy and should at least attempt to match advertisers with content that they are cool with. People point out that Youtube has all these users, yet it isn't profitable. So why do they continue to do what they do? Google gets SOMETHING out of it. The user's drive the site, and a lot of the great content that is on there was due to the fact that those people got paid. So if Youtube wants to increase it's standing with advertisers and also provide a way for the user's to do what they have always done and continue to provide that great content that generates all that traffic in the first place, they need to do a bit more work and match the creators with the advertisers. It works out for everyone.

they even changed the rules on in video advertising.
YouTube makes a move against brand-sponsored videos
I don't have a problem with this for the most part. But Google better not come with their hand out if they turn off the monetization for the video and then the content creator goes and gets someone to sponsor it.

Last edited:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
It's not just YouTube, Twitter and FB also been doing that censoring bullshyt for a minute as well.

YouTube can do this because there's no real competior out there creators can flock to for more reasonable policies(except maybe Twitch for gaming but they're less dependent on ads). Advertisers are basically telling YouTube, "you're as big as many major TV networks now, time to follow the rules of one if you want our money YouTube :ufdup:"

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
These drastic YouTube changes are probably the nail in the coffin revenue wise for Tommy Sotomayor :heh:

exactly, especially with his speech he might get the boot from youtube. so many people complain to youtube about him.

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
being a big youtube star can be stressful man. im not saying its a 9 to 5 job stressful but they have their fair share of stress. they have to edit videos (which can take a while depending on how heavy they edit), deal with death threats, upload at least once every two weeks to get paid, do whatever is popular so they don't get irrelevant, and if one video goes down due to some fair use copyright bullshyt it could easily mean the end of your channel.

Filthy frank got seizures from stressing himself out with videos. I Hate everything almost had his youtube completely removed for no reason causing lots of stress, etc.

lets also not forget the mob mentality lots of big youtube stars can start. if pewdiepie say's you're a stupid piece of shyt then your youtube channel is over and you will receive countless death threats so you have to be nice to everyone even if you don't like them.
Look up KSI and GudjonDaniel. KSI used to be friends with this kid, then he had some vague beef with this guy and the kid was straight up ran off of youtube after a year and a half of relentless abuse from KSI's fans. He had like a million subs at one point i believe.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It might not be physical work but it's still a job most here wouldn't want to do. People from the outside looking in don't really look hard enough to see what's going on but many of these YouTubers spend upwards of 10+ hours a day working on their channels. There's a lot of stuff they do behind the scenes.
And that's their choice. They picked that path to make an income

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And that's their choice. They picked that path to make an income
But at the same time people wanna look at what they do like it isn't a real job when it is. Just because they get to do something they enjoy doing for a living doesn't mean it's not a real job.

Some of those guys play video games 5-6 hours a day 6-7 days a week online. I don't enjoy gaming enough to do it to that extent daily. I'd rather work a regular job.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

YouTube has the most options and highest video quality when it comes to video content support. It's not cheap to support all that infrastructure YouTube uses for over a billion users, videos, and equipment the content creators utilize. Of course they can't generate much profit yet.

Not to mention the problem of skipping ads and adblock being rampant. That's why they're promoting YouTube Red so bad.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Coli dudes are always talking about having multiple revenue streams and side hustles. This is an example of why. When you use somebody else's infrastructure, you gotta play by their rules. No matter how much it sucks.

Edit: And it's not really censorship. The videos are still online.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Coli dudes are always talking about having multiple revenue streams and side hustles. This is an example of why. When you use somebody else's infrastructure, you gotta play by their rules. No matter how much it sucks.

Edit: And it's not really censorship. The videos are still online.
It very much is soft censorship. All censorship isn't direct. Soft censorship is using policies and financial pressure to try to influence people to modify the content into what you prefer rather than what was originally intended.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But at the same time people wanna look at what they do like it isn't a real job when it is. Just because they get to do something they enjoy doing for a living doesn't mean it's not a real job.

Some of those guys play video games 5-6 hours a day 6-7 days a week online. I don't enjoy gaming enough to do it to that extent daily. I'd rather work a regular job.
And it doesn't matter if people think it's a real job or not. Some of them are (were) making bank doing what they wanted to do without an employer.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Bruh I understand what youre saying, but this is an business. The moment you decide to become a business you have to play by the rules dictated, this goes for content providers as well. Youtube has every right to impose restrictions; just like every content provider has the right to leave youtube. Youtube is looking to be the NBC or ABC, and now they are playing by the rules. That Buckley video nailed it. Again if you rely only on advertising your business is doomed to fail.

H3H3 productions talks about it being more about the tags than actual content.

Quite the opposite breh. Facebook is bound to make $20 billion off of advertising alone. And even Google at their already massive size today is still growing at almost the same rate with over $80 billion this year.

The ad market is worth over $600 billion and has plenty of room for multiple companies to eat.