You Praise De La Soul 3ft High and Rising but Not Kendricks TPAB

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Hmmmm let me see, in 88/89 we had BET, Yo MTV raps that played the shyt out of Me, My, Self and I, we had Rap Pages, Yo!, Word Up and The Source that had De La Soul on the Cover, and The Source the hip hop bible gave it 5 Mic when it dropped, we had mix show radio DJ's ect, so again miss me with that bullshyt, you going to have to come harder then that.

Yeah I'm black and there was some white boys around my way who listens to Rock but fukked with NWA, Too Short, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, 3rd Bass, 2 Live Crew, LL Cool J, Public Enemy.

The only thing changed is we receive the music faster.

shyt that's why those magazines was so popular because we got to read about the music and artist and what to expect before we even heard the shyt, come on man
Yo and rap city wasn't mainstream. It was only available on cable. Cable wasn't available in every area in the 80s. I know this cuz it wasn't available in mine. I had to get my aunts and cousins to record me those shows until my mother bought a satellite dish. The area I grew up in didn't get cable tv power lines until around 1994. The source didn't give 3 feet high 5 mics. De la Soul is dead got 5 mics. The source wasn't not as popular in 89 as it became. Yo , word up, and rapmasters were the major mags. Rap Pages didn't come out until 1991 so I don't know how the fukk you had a copy in 88 or 89. The first year in its existence, they had a comic series in it and I remember when Malcolm X film was coming out, they highlighted Malcolm. I had those issues.

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
Hmmmm let me see, in 88/89 we had BET, Yo MTV raps that played the shyt out of Me, My, Self and I, we had Rap Pages, Yo!, Word Up and The Source that had De La Soul on the Cover, and The Source the hip hop bible gave it 5 Mic when it dropped, we had mix show radio DJ's ect, so again miss me with that bullshyt, you going to have to come harder then that
In 89, you could get a sex change. But let me guess, just because they existed in '89 and we all had cable like you did as an american, they're just as popular now in the internet age as they were then... via word of mouth? :dahell:

All of those shows you mention didn't even exist to me, because I'm not American. So that reach you're talking about only existed where you were able to get to it... luckily for you it was in your hands. You just assume that everyone had it like the internet today lol... you can't be that new

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
cmon man, you're not this fukking stupid. I'm giving you that much. You're just not this dumb and I refuse to believe it. You're comparing world of mouth and a tape dropping in reaching the people to an album leaking and the whole WORLD instantly downloading it the same day? Is that what you're doing? I remember when songs came out having to sit by the radio on the nights they played hip hop with the radio on record/pause until the song came on. Either that or wait until Yo or Rap City played it. If it wasn't a video for it or not a single, if you didn't buy it or knew someone with it, u just didn't hear it. There was no youtube. There was no dedicated radio shows to hip hop every day in most states. When tapes traveled, it took months for you to get underground things that weren't popular. Hip hop wasn't on mainstream radio at 1 pm in the afternoon 30 years ago. We couldn't turn to Kiss 102 at 3pm and hear Public Enemy every day nationwide. You know this shyt too.

You sounding real bytch like, and I will say it again Oraginc Listenership have nothing to do with how you receive your music. You bytch nikka Music is between the listener and The music that's it. It doesn't matter if you get it from the internet, the bootleggers, from your cousin or from the internet.

The only difference is now you receive it faster

You silly nikkas talking about word of mouth, if somebody give you a tape it's word of mouth, if a DJ says I just got this album and I'm playing the b sides but the whole album is dope, it's word of mouth, if I I'm on the internet and an album drop and The person said this shyt bangs, it's still word of mouth you shyt for brains ass nikkas.

Y'all nikkas talk about organic, fukk outta here, the booth played that word out, truth be told ain't shyt been organic in hip hop since it left the park in the Bronx, back then it was word of mouth, the times record labels came in shyt changed.

nikka In 88 Hip Hop was on every night on tbe radio stop the fukking lying.

Dumb nikkas is arguing with you but agreeing with you at the same time.

Now again bytch nikka, what's the difference of Me getting a tape from my cousin who said this shyt bangs and me getting on the internet and I see an album drop with the tag this shyt bangs...

Don't answer bytch nikka, there's no difference it's the same shyt, I'm getting the music just faster instead of waiting...

That does not change the so called organic listenership

Last edited:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
cmon man, you're not this fukking stupid. I'm giving you that much. You're just not this dumb and I refuse to believe it. You're comparing world of mouth and a tape dropping in reaching the people to an album leaking and the whole WORLD instantly downloading it the same day? Is that what you're doing? I remember when songs came out having to sit by the radio on the nights they played hip hop with the radio on record/pause until the song came on. Either that or wait until Yo or Rap City played it. If it wasn't a video for it or not a single, if you didn't buy it or knew someone with it, u just didn't hear it. There was no youtube. There was no dedicated radio shows to hip hop every day in most states. When tapes traveled, it took months for you to get underground things that weren't popular. Hip hop wasn't on mainstream radio at 1 pm in the afternoon 30 years ago. We couldn't turn to Kiss 102 at 3pm and hear Public Enemy every day nationwide. You know this shyt too.

Yeah that tape exchange talk was crazy.

$1.00 dubbed tape reaching one person :hula:a free post,/snippet on Instagram/Twitter/facebook/youtube reaching millions.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Y'all nikkas be on some shyt, 3ft had around the same amount of ear easy listening tracks on the album as TPAB, and both albums you have to sit down to digest the music's because musically it's dense also.

Just like Georgia Anne Murdlow cult classic worthnothins on Stones Throw Records another Critcally Acclaim album you have to sit down with that album
Damn, what you know about worthnothins and Georigia Anne Muldrow? That's one I had to cop on CD as well as Early.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Yo and rap city wasn't mainstream. It was only available on cable. Cable wasn't available in every area in the 80s. I know this cuz it wasn't available in mine. I had to get my aunts and cousins to record me those shows until my mother bought a satellite dish. The area I grew up in didn't get cable tv power lines until around 1994. The source didn't give 3 feet high 5 mics. De la Soul is dead got 5 mics. The source wasn't not as popular in 89 as it became. Yo , word up, and rapmasters were the major mags. Rap Pages didn't come out until 1991 so I don't know how the fukk you had a copy in 88 or 89. The first year in its existence, they had a comic series in it and I remember when Malcolm X film was coming out, they highlighted Malcolm. I had those issues.

So fukking what your country ass part of town didn't have cable, whole lot of people had Cable, and that means they received the music faster than you. I had a copy of the source the newsletter addition from folks East in 88.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Damn, what you know about worthnothins and Georigia Anne Muldrow? That's one I had to cop on CD as well as Early.
Dope ass album, I heard about it from some avant underground hip hop heads on the internet when it dropped.

But leave it to these dumb ass nikkas since I learned about it from the internet and got my ass up it coped the physical it's not the same getting it from a nikka on the corner in cassette form 5 months later, so it's not an organic Listenership:mjlol:

Last edited:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
In 89, you could get a sex change. But let me guess, just because they existed in '89 and we all had cable like you did as an american, they're just as popular now in the internet age as they were then... via word of mouth? :dahell:

All of those shows you mention didn't even exist to me, because I'm not American. So that reach you're talking about only existed where you were able to get to it... luckily for you it was in your hands. You just assume that everyone had it like the internet today lol... you can't be that new

Okay you not American, you wasn't here in the 80's, but you trying to tell me about this hip hop shyt :mjlol:

And this so called organic listenership.

Peace brother, Let's Just Keep Moving.

But that's a dope picture of H.I.M, INI used that picture for his classic album produced by Pete Rock

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
nikka In 88 Hip Hop was on every night on tbe radio stop the fukking lying.
the fukk it was in every area in the US. I know in my state it wasn't and a lot of southern states. Hip hop music was still a new thing. I can't speak for NY because I'm sure it was on the radio every night there, but NY is 1 state out of 50. I know it wasnt on every night in my state and I'm sure it wasn't on every night in Kentucky or Alabama as well in 88.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Now again bytch nikka, what's the difference of Me getting a tape from my cousin who said this shyt bangs and me getting on the internet and I see an album drop with the tag this shyt bangs...

Don't answer bytch nikka, there's no difference it's the same shyt, I'm getting the music just faster instead of waiting...

That does not change the so called organic listenership
the difference is, tape exchange and bootlegs only reached the people getting them. If you went to the store to pick up a bootleg, only you and a group of your friends maybe heard it. Even if you played it at a party. It didn't reach MILLIONS in one day. Now, if an album drops on a tuesday morning online, by tuesday night 10s of millions of people across the world have heard it within hours. And you're comparing tape exchange hand to hand to this?

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
the difference is, tape exchange and bootlegs only reached the people getting them. If you went to the store to pick up a bootleg, only you and a group of your friends maybe heard it. Even if you played it at a party. It didn't reach MILLIONS in one day. Now, if an album drops on a tuesday morning online, by tuesday night 10s of millions of people across the world have heard it within hours. And you're comparing tape exchange hand to hand to this?

Like I fukking said the difference is that we received music faster.

Case in point in 1988 I believe, I stayed up late to tape the mix show, and The DJ said just got this new album from the D.O.C.from the ruthless family the album is dope it's dropping in a few weeks, he played Funky Enough, the song blew my mind it was syndicated from L.A. do you know how many people that it reached and how many people went to cop that album when it dropped.

It's the same shyt, just different technology, we just receiving music at a faster rate

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all nikkas be on some shyt, 3ft had around the same amount of ear easy listening tracks on the album as TPAB, and both albums you have to sit down to digest the music's because musically it's dense also.

Just like Georgia Anne Murdlow cult classic worthnothins on Stones Throw Records another Critcally Acclaim album you have to sit down with that album
No one addressed all the "cac love" that 3 feet high and rising got.
Lol.

No one is alarmed by the rock comparisons ? Or rather no one can see the parallels between Progressive rock and "dumb vs smart" Hip-Hop argument being presented by such a comparison ?

Or it's relevance when discussing TPAB and it's place not only in the overall Hip-Hop Canon but in this overall on going conversation ?

A great conversation could've been had in this thread. Instead it's turned into a shyt show filled with baseless claims and insults hurled at TPAB.

The Booth brehs.

At least you tried :salute: @Waterproof

Last edited:

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Like I fukking said the difference is that we received music faster.

Case in point in 1988 I believe, I stayed up late to tape the mix show, and The DJ said just got this new album from the D.O.C.from the ruthless family the album is dope it's dropping in a few weeks, he played Funky Enough, the song blew my mind it was syndicated from L.A. do you know how many people that it reached and how many people went to cop that album when it dropped.

It's the same shyt, just different technology, we just receiving music at a faster rate
uhhh that's the point we're making dumbazz. Not only at a faster rate, but a MUCH FASTER rate to the point its not even comparable.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
No one addressed all the "cac love" that 3 feet high and rising got.
Lol.

No one is alarmed by the rock comparisons ? Or rather no one can see the parallels between Progressive rock and "dumb vs smart" Hip-Hop argument being presented by such a comparison ?

Or it's relevance when discussing TPAB and it's place not in the overall Hip-Hop Canon but in this overall on going conversation ?

A great conversation could've been had in this thread. Instead it's turned into a shyt show filled with baseless claims and insults hurled at TPAB.

The Booth brehs.

At least you tried :salute: @Waterproof

Right On Brotha, Real recognize Real Zulute:salute:

And yeah I mentioned the Cac love 3ft got but these nikkas avoiding it like the plague