You Praise De La Soul 3ft High and Rising but Not Kendricks TPAB

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
This is apples and oranges breh. Nobody gave a fukk what accolades De La received back then....mainstream acceptance and/or praise was not remotely on the radar of rap fans in 1989. So any praise or attention the album received came from rap fans, organically.

I like Kendrick but people use his mainstream accolades to explain why he's great. Which is the polar opposite of what happened with De La.

Fred.

Come man, let's be honest, hip hop fought for many years in the 80's to be taken seriously as an musical art form, and was demanded to be respected as such to the point we forced the Grammys to recognized us an musical genre because we was about to boycott the Grammys and they heard hip hop voice and they couldn't deny our impact, and the same with musical magazines and MTV, and this was from the early to mid 80's so yes by 89 it was on the radar.

So let me get this straight the Praise from raps fan was organically for De La and but Not Kendricks? Please explain how, what was the difference

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
Reading comprehension is a lost skill, I'm talking about how Booth nikkas quick to shoot down the praises that Kendrick got from the very same publications and critics that booth nikkas call Cacs and say they don't have no say so on grading our art, those very same people also gave 3ft High and Rising the same accolades, praises and say it's one of Hip Hop greatest albums

I'm showing the hypocrisy of people who say they know hip hop but don't really do
You're trying to show the hypocrisy by comparing the opinions of people 30 years ago regarding two albums that are 30 years apart. It's a stupid comparison, even if you claim I can't comprehend what you're saying. The reason I mention there being 30 years apart is because the internet exists now, it's 30 years away from word of mouth and organic listenership. I'm not saying Kendrick doesn't have organic fans, I'm saying it wasn't even that popular to listen to hip-hop 30 years ago, nobody cared what these publications thought, it was about the music. I don't understand why y'all trying to compare that shyt, the engine is completely different than it was.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
You're trying to show the hypocrisy by comparing the opinions of people 30 years ago regarding two albums that are 30 years apart. It's a stupid comparison, even if you claim I can't comprehend what you're saying. The reason I mention there being 30 years apart is because the internet exists now, it's 30 years away from word of mouth and organic listenership. I'm not saying Kendrick doesn't have organic fans, I'm saying it wasn't even that popular to listen to hip-hop 30 years ago, nobody cared what these publications thought, it was about the music. I don't understand why y'all trying to compare that shyt, the engine is completely different than it was.

The technology have nothing to do with organic listenership, I call bullshyt because word of mouth is just as important and powerful as the internet, tapes traveled back then, the only difference is now we get our music faster.

Plus we had mixtape radio back then, miss we with that organic listenership, you get the same reaction listening to the music and when you received a tape from your cousin in the 80's or friend and they hand you the tape and say this album is dope do that take away the organic listenership? So it's the same shyt when somebody drop and they say this shyt is dope in this day and age.

Bro I'm from the 80's homie, DJ's could make or break an artist just by not liking the crew, person, record label let alone the artist, they could say the shyt is wack and it was taken as gold.

30 years ago, hip hop was popular it was in the mainstream, at the white house b boys was performing for Ronald Regan

Come On man, you got to come harder then that

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Tpab is one of greatest albums of all time. That's a a fact. Greatest album of the decade. Only people who listen to a diverse range of music understand the genius of that album. Also tpab >>>> 3ft high and riding.
Hilarious how y'all always try and fall back on this incorrect cliche

I'm classically trained in 7 instruments and jazz trained in 5

I produce my own music and I DJ

Kendrick is a mediocre artist, almost from an objective standpoint

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Hilarious how y'all always try and fall back on this incorrect cliche

I'm classically trained in 7 instruments and jazz trained in 5

I produce my own music and I DJ

Kendrick is a mediocre artist, almost from an objective standpoint

Congratulations on the accomplishment, musicians are a dying breed but that's kind of snobbish of you, you think.

Jimi Hendrix, Thelonius Monk, Prince are all self taught musicians and they are greats

And Prince don't fukk with just anybody or jam with anybody. Prince jammed with Kendrick Lamar at Paisley Park and was supposed to be on TPAB, actually they was recording in the studio together but Prince didn't get in time.

So one of the greatest musician, writer, instrumentalist who plays and master damn near every instrument, that was self trained, who knows musical theory and blues, jazz, rock, soul, funk ect got down with Kendrick Lamar, and Prince don't fukk with everybody.

I think he's not a mediocre artist at all and so does Prince

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
The technology have nothing to do with organic listenership, I call bullshyt because word of mouth is just as important and powerful as the internet, tapes traveled back then, the only difference is now we get our music faster.

Plus we had mixtape radio back then, miss we with that organic listenership, you get the same reaction listening to the music and when you received a tape from your cousin in the 80's or friend and they hand you the tape and say this album is dope do that take away the organic listenership? So it's the same shyt when somebody drop and they say this shyt is dope in this day and age.

Bro I'm from the 80's homie, DJ's could make or break an artist just by not liking the crew, person, record label let alone the artist, they could say the shyt is wack and it was taken as gold.

30 years ago, hip hop was popular it was in the mainstream, at the white house b boys was performing for Ronald Regan

30 years ago hip-hop is not in the mainstream as it is now... stop it. If you're going to tell me that your cousin giving you a tape in the 80s/90s is as organic as you logging on to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and seeing advertisements/tweets/grams about the album shoved down your throat, you're a fool who's confusing the meaning of organic. There is no "word of mouth" with the internet. It's the internet. I can't believe you're really trying to say hip-hop was just as popular then... that's foolish.

Since we're on the topic of cacs and etc, and you grew up in the 80s, I'd assume you're black. That being said, don't act like you have the same amount of white friends who bumped hip-hop in '89 as you do now... cause you're lying. Which is why my whole point is that a 30 year comparison of two hip-hop albums doesn't make sense, the climate is different with the internet - and you're the only person who will say the climate is the same.

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Congratulations on the accomplishment, musicians are a dying breed but that's kind of snobbish of you, you think.

Jimi Hendrix, Thelonius Monk, Prince are all self taught musicians and they are greats

And Prince don't fukk with just anybody or jam with anybody. Prince jammed with Kendrick Lamar at Paisley Park and was supposed to be on TPAB, actually they was recording in the studio together but Prince didn't get in time.

So one of the greatest musician, writer, instrumentalist who plays and master damn near every instrument, that was self trained, who knows musical theory and blues, jazz, rock, soul, funk ect got down with Kendrick Lamar, and Prince don't fukk with everybody.

I think he's not a mediocre artist at all and so does Prince
It wasn't snobbish of the poster I was replying to to say "herp derp only people that know music like kendrick"?

Prince is one of the GOATs but his music was very hit or miss, which is why he created so much music that he refused to release

I don't know what reason Prince was so drawn to Kendrick, but another man's opinion rarely has any effect on my own. Imo it was Kendrick's (faux)consciousness that Prince was drawn to(Prince was very conscious), not his actual music, but that's just my opinion

I'm also self-trained in ~half the instruments that I play

It's like y'all will talk about anything but his actual music, when it comes to kendrick. It's kinda frustrating as a musician myself

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
30 years ago hip-hop is not in the mainstream as it is now... stop it. If you're going to tell me that your cousin giving you a tape in the 80s/90s is as organic as you logging on to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and seeing advertisements/tweets/grams about the album shoved down your throat, you're a fool who's confusing the meaning of organic. There is no "word of mouth" with the internet. It's the internet. I can't believe you're really trying to say hip-hop was just as popular then... that's foolish.

Since we're on the topic of cacs and etc, and you grew up in the 80s, I'd assume you're black. That being said, don't act like you have the same amount of white friends who bumped hip-hop in '89 as you do now... cause you're lying. Which is why my whole point is that a 30 year comparison of two hip-hop albums doesn't make sense, the climate is different with the internet - and you're the only person who will say the climate is the same.

Hmmmm let me see, in 88/89 we had BET, Yo MTV raps that played the shyt out of Me, My, Self and I, we had Rap Pages, Yo!, Word Up and The Source that had De La Soul on the Cover, and The Source the hip hop bible gave it 5 Mic when it dropped, we had mix show radio DJ's ect, so again miss me with that bullshyt, you going to have to come harder then that.

Yeah I'm black and there was some white boys around my way who listens to Rock but fukked with NWA, Too Short, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, 3rd Bass, 2 Live Crew, LL Cool J, Public Enemy.

The only thing changed is we receive the music faster.

shyt that's why those magazines was so popular because we got to read about the music and artist and what to expect before we even heard the shyt, come on man

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
It wasn't snobbish of the poster I was replying to to say "herp derp only people that know music like kendrick"?

Prince is one of the GOATs but his music was very hit or miss, which is why he created so much music that he refused to release

I don't know what reason Prince was so drawn to Kendrick, but another man's opinion rarely has any effect on my own. Imo it was Kendrick's (faux)consciousness that Prince was drawn to(Prince was very conscious), not his actual music, but that's just my opinion

It's like y'all will talk about anything but his actual music, when it comes to kendrick. It's kinda frustrating as a musician myself
:salute:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Why did u salute him when he said but another man's opinion rarely has any effect on my own. Yet the thread title does the exact opposite?

:patrice:

Because as a Man I respect that and I feel the same way, that's what Man do

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
THIS THREAD IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY INTERSCOPE RECORDS

LOOK INTO THE SWIRLY "i" BE HYPNOTIZED! BUY KENDRICK LAMAR!

latest

:russ:

OP is hilarious. He's only here to skew/outright lie about rap history to benefit Ducktales Lamar. Once you see the shtick, shyt is kinda funny actually.

that ether :laff: Gunned up and clapped quick :whew:

OP, feel free to quote me for the attention if you must. You won't get a response tho :umad:

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps

cmon man, you're not this fukking stupid. I'm giving you that much. You're just not this dumb and I refuse to believe it. You're comparing world of mouth and a tape dropping in reaching the people to an album leaking and the whole WORLD instantly downloading it the same day? Is that what you're doing? I remember when songs came out having to sit by the radio on the nights they played hip hop with the radio on record/pause until the song came on. Either that or wait until Yo or Rap City played it. If it wasn't a video for it or not a single, if you didn't buy it or knew someone with it, u just didn't hear it. There was no youtube. There was no dedicated radio shows to hip hop every day in most states. When tapes traveled, it took months for you to get underground things that weren't popular. Hip hop wasn't on mainstream radio at 1 pm in the afternoon 30 years ago. We couldn't turn to Kiss 102 at 3pm and hear Public Enemy every day nationwide. You know this shyt too.