You Praise De La Soul 3ft High and Rising but Not Kendricks TPAB

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Because they did it thirty years before and basically set the stage/created their own lane which rap acts like Tribe, Pharcyde, Heiroglyphics and others picked up on.

Kendrick revamped some old shyt and freaked it with his choppy Eminem flow. I don’t hate on TPAB, I just wouldn’t regard it the same as those other albums.

Shyt breh, one of the main singles “King Kunta” was straight up jacked from Mausberg

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
3 Ft High is a genre defining album and that accolade has been proven over almost 30 years of introspection and scrutiny. If TPAB does that in a decade. i'll cede my point. Also each member of that group but definitely Posdonuos were leagues ahead of most rappers whether they were abstract or rapping straightforward. Kendrick is a great rapper don't get me wrong but some of you guys are forcing him to be an all time great when the time is not ready for us to make that assumption. What Im saying in short is let time decide.

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
Asking why something got praise 30 years ago in comparison to now already doesn't make sense. I'm not hating TPAB it's a good album but it hasn't spawned anything. TPAB is not genre changing. I haven't listened to it in over a year. There's absolutely no reason to compare it to 3ft High just because at the time it was "different" from what everyone else was doing, especially since in this case everybody is still doing what they were doing before TPAB came out.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I'm going to listen to 3 Feet High and Rising right now because of this thread. I have no reason to listen to TPAB.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
3 Ft High is a genre defining album and that accolade has been proven over almost 30 years of introspection and scrutiny. If TPAB does that in a decade. i'll cede my point. Also each member of that group but definitely Posdonuos were leagues ahead of most rappers whether they were abstract or rapping straightforward. Kendrick is a great rapper don't get me wrong but some of you guys are forcing him to be an all time great when the time is not ready for us to make that assumption. What Im saying in short is let time decide.

But see people want to act blind, deaf and Stupid, De La Soul received those accolades, the majority of them when 3ft Rising dropped, so y'all going to have to come again

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Asking why something got praise 30 years ago in comparison to now already doesn't make sense. I'm not hating TPAB it's a good album but it hasn't spawned anything. TPAB is not genre changing. I haven't listened to it in over a year. There's absolutely no reason to compare it to 3ft High just because at the time it was "different" from what everyone else was doing, especially since in this case everybody is still doing what they were doing before TPAB came out.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I'm going to listen to 3 Feet High and Rising right now because of this thread. I have no reason to listen to TPAB.

Reading comprehension is a lost skill, I'm talking about how Booth nikkas quick to shoot down the praises that Kendrick got from the very same publications and critics that booth nikkas call Cacs and say they don't have no say so on grading our art, those very same people also gave 3ft High and Rising the same accolades, praises and say it's one of Hip Hop greatest albums

I'm showing the hypocrisy of people who say they know hip hop but don't really do

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
But see people want to act blind, deaf and Stupid, De La Soul received those accolades, the majority of them when 3ft Rising dropped, so y'all going to have to come again

I understand what you're saying but a lot of those accolades were by non hip-hop fans, I'm old enough to remember 3 ft dropping, it was acclaimed by critics but to the average fan their shyt head scratching. Hell the album didn't even sell all that well initially. People had to catch up to what they were doing. I don't discount Kendrick's accolades was just saying that it takes more to be considered an all time great than accolades initially and that's with any artist.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
I understand what you're saying but a lot of those accolades were by non hip-hop fans, I'm old enough to remember 3 ft dropping, it was acclaimed by critics but to the average fan their shyt head scratching. Hell the album didn't even sell all that well initially. People had to catch up to what they were doing. I don't discount Kendrick's accolades was just saying that it takes more to be considered an all time great than accolades initially and that's with any artist.

I was 11 when it dropped and everything you posted is true, I was listening to 3ft and Straight Outta Compton, but this what I said in the other post kind of inline what you just said

And nikkas thought De La Soul was some weirdos, lot of white people, alternative crowd fukked with 3ft High and Rising. The heads you speak off only fukked with Plug Tunnin and Potholes, Buddy and Me, Myself and I was smash hit, the same y'all said about Everyday People was a hit with the older folks, so was that jawn

But the soho crowd, was a major factor they received praise from The Village Voice, Rolling Stone Magazine, and other musical outlets praised the album, the same ones that y'all shyt on Kendrick for TPAB.

Is 3ft a classic yes, did a lot of heads copped that record, some did for those singles but the rest of the album was so abstract, with subliminal inside jokes and cryptic rhymes that many didn't fukked with it, and they even thought they was gay with that daisy age shyt and dressed funny.

De La Soul started that alternative rap shyt and had the nerds, afro punk, gay, hippies, soho, music snobs, white kids, upper and middle class black folks

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
De La started with Is Dead as far as I'm concerned :dame:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

This is apples and oranges breh. Nobody gave a fukk what accolades De La received back then....mainstream acceptance and/or praise was not remotely on the radar of rap fans in 1989. So any praise or attention the album received came from rap fans, organically.

I like Kendrick but people use his mainstream accolades to explain why he's great. Which is the polar opposite of what happened with De La.

Fred.