You Praise De La Soul 3ft High and Rising but Not Kendricks TPAB

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
To Pimp A Butterfly reminded me more of Buhloone Mindstate, actually.
:jbhmm: in what way, I own damn near all of De La Soul Albums except AOI when I seen them nikkas doing The Wizard of Oz shyt I was like :martin:, but I never heard those two albums being compared

igottabaldhead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Tri State Area
Tpab is one of greatest albums of all time. That's a a fact. Greatest album of the decade. Only people who listen to a diverse range of music understand the genius of that album. Also tpab >>>> 3ft high and riding.

facts, i assumed thecoli of all places would LOVE TPAB, but they all hate it on here for some reason. It is literally flawless.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
facts, i assumed thecoli of all places would LOVE TPAB, but they all hate it on here for some reason. It is literally flawless.
You would think, these nikkas hate on everybody. Kanye, Drake, Big Sean, Kendrick, Wayne, J. Cole.

But underachieving artist that always hate and complain like Lupe, Budden they love that shyt

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Come man, let's be honest, hip hop fought for many years in the 80's to be taken seriously as an musical art form, and was demanded to be respected as such to the point we forced the Grammys to recognized us an musical genre because we was about to boycott the Grammys and they heard hip hop voice and they couldn't deny our impact, and the same with musical magazines and MTV, and this was from the early to mid 80's so yes by 89 it was on the radar.

So let me get this straight the Praise from raps fan was organically for De La and but Not Kendricks? Please explain how, what was the difference

Of course the praise for De La was more organic. You're talking about a time when most rappers had little to no budget for promo....when most labels honestly could care less if a rapper failed or succeeded. This was 1989, when rap was still mostly untested in terms of mainstream success.

Fast forward to 2018....there's not even any way to tell what's organic. Rappers got e-street teams, for Christ sake. This isn't about Kendrick specifically. The internet alone....and the fact that rap has blown up into a multi-billion dollar business....makes every aspect of how a rapper is received less organic.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I understand what you're saying but a lot of those accolades were by non hip-hop fans, I'm old enough to remember 3 ft dropping, it was acclaimed by critics but to the average fan their shyt head scratching. Hell the album didn't even sell all that well initially. People had to catch up to what they were doing. I don't discount Kendrick's accolades was just saying that it takes more to be considered an all time great than accolades initially and that's with any artist.

No offense but this is almost completely wrong.

"3 Feet" is the only platinum album they have. It's their best selling....as far as rap fans....they toured with NWA and Too Short off that album. Core rap fans fukked with it heavily. They didn't really lose rap fans until "De La Soul Is Dead" because of how abstract it was. Even the concept of connected skits was unheard of at the time....that album pioneered it for rappers.

Then they doubled down on the weird shyt with "Buhloone Mindstate" and became a niche group. They got "regular" hip-hop fans back with "Stakes Is High". I know cats that didn't fukk with De La since the 80's that heard "The Business" like :ohhh:

And they been in that pocket ever since. Those same fans went back and now appreciate the older shyt they thought was weird.

Fred.

Dead End

Rican B*stard
Daps
Reppin
NW Chicago
:jbhmm: in what way, I own damn near all of De La Soul Albums except AOI when I seen them nikkas doing The Wizard of Oz shyt I was like :martin:, but I never heard those two albums being compared

I haven't listened to either album in a minute but I always viewed Buhloone Mindstate as De La's least accessible album, with meandering and challenging jazz elements. TPAB reminds me of that.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

"3 Feet" is the only platinum album they have. It's their best selling....as far as rap fans....they toured with NWA and Too Short off that album. Core rap fans fukked with it heavily. They didn't really lose rap fans until "De La Soul Is Dead" because of how abstract it was. Even the concept of connected skits was unheard of at the time....that album pioneered it for rappers.

Then they doubled down on the weird shyt with "Buhloone Mindstate" and became a niche group. They got "regular" hip-hop fans back with "Stakes Is High". I know cats that didn't fukk with De La since the 80's that heard "The Business" like :ohhh:

And they been in that pocket ever since. Those same fans went back and now appreciate the older shyt they thought was weird.

Fred.

Yes, but 3 Ft didn't go platinum off the jump and I should rephrase that to 'heads' as well as non hip-hop fans, it's odd that you would think De La Soul is Dead being the more abstract album because they had already strayed from the original formula and it was a lot darker and grittier than the 1st album plus they hopped on the house trend with 'Kicked Out the House' and went with a more direct story book style. Though I would agree that Buhloone Mindstate was definitely an arthouse project. But true Stakes was definitely the album that got them back into the fold and in the conversation as all time greats,

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Of course the praise for De La was more organic. You're talking about a time when most rappers had little to no budget for promo....when most labels honestly could care less if a rapper failed or succeeded. This was 1989, when rap was still mostly untested in terms of mainstream success.

Fast forward to 2018....there's not even any way to tell what's organic. Rappers got e-street teams, for Christ sake. This isn't about Kendrick specifically. The internet alone....and the fact that rap has blown up into a multi-billion dollar business....makes every aspect of how a rapper is received less organic.

Fred.

I okay there's alot of revisionist history in this thread, it was 1988.

The passing of tapes was damn near dead in 1988, passing of tapes was from 74-85, once hip hop became popular and once record labels came in and start giving distribution deals to small record companies it was over, music spread nationally. In 1988 you can go into record stores and see Cold Chillin Artist, Sleeping Bag records, every big artist and small artist, check the record releases, they was on the radio and doing tours across America.

You said Hip Hop wasn't mainstream in 1988 that's a lie, once Run DMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Whodini, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow, Dougie Fresh went gold and plat it was over, we had Breakin, Rappin, Beat Street, Krush Grove tearing up the box office.The Highly grossed Fresh Tour and Rising Hell Your. Hip Hop was Mainstream way over in 1988.

De La Soul was on the 2nd Biggest New York hip hop label which was Tommy Boy Records, who had a national distribution deal and promotion from Warner Records
And Tommy Boy was notorious for their Street Team

Def Jam and Tommy Boy was the most well know record label in hip hop nationally at that time

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
A far better De La comparison would be Buhloone Mindstate, which was an amazing album that didn't have the impact that previous De La albums because it went more left compared to the sound.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps

Fred.

De La Soul lost their alternative, white, soho, afro punk, nerd base with De La Soul is dead, that's what happened they was their core fan base with 3ft High and Rising