You know why there won't be disc next gen?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
somehows dudes manage to game on PC despite all these limitations
don't pc's still have disc tho :patrice:

what you're gonna say is "barely"... ok but they still have the options correct? so we are simply saying that next gen, people will have the option.

nobody said digital would disappear... it's at 44% use right now.. all we are saying is, no way a video game company (sony, ms), would cut off 66% of their consumer base NEXT YEAR

ps6, xb3... yea maybe... 2019?? 18 months from now... fukk no. if they plan on announcing next year, they already started development on it. so they'd have to write off drives long before today, and today it's still at 66%

tech wise, COULD they pull it off, of course. business wise does it make sense... hell no

They got 128tb SD cards :childplease:
i could see this... them going the way of Nintendo and using SD cards instead

i would have to wonder the cost.. a disc cost less than $1 to make.. you still need all the shipping and box cases if you use SD cards.. so where is the saving of money? these ain't nintendo games.. you talking bout bluray size games on sd cards

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

what you're gonna say is "barely"... ok but they still have the options correct?
not really. most pc games you see in the store are just a Steam code in a box. I haven't got a PC game on disc for over 10 years. my PC currently doesn't even have a cd/dvd drive

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I swear browsing the coli sometimes brings me back to 2005.

Y'all REALLY need to let optical media go. That shyt is DONE outside of video game nerds who want $2 back on a game they finished.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

what you're gonna say is "barely"... ok but they still have the options correct? so we are simply saying that next gen, people will have the option.

nobody said digital would disappear... it's at 44% use right now.. all we are saying is, no way a video game company (sony, ms), would cut off 66% of their consumer base NEXT YEAR

ps6, xb3... yea maybe... 2019?? 18 months from now... fukk no. if they plan on announcing next year, they already started development on it. so they'd have to write off drives long before today, and today it's still at 66%

tech wise, COULD they pull it off, of course. business wise does it make sense... hell no

i would have to wonder the cost.. a disc cost less than $1 to make.. you still need all the shipping and box cases if you use SD cards.. so where is the saving of money? these ain't nintendo games.. you talking bout bluray size games on sd cards
Disc drives are basically obsolete on PC. Everything is downloaded on PC, and it’s been that way for a decade or more.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
in my life I've seen audio cassettes, games on cassette, vhs, beta, 5.25 inch floppies, 3.5 inch floppies, LP's, 45's, cartridges, zip-drives, CD's, DVD's, Blurays.... I don't miss none of that shyt. I don't long for the days when I saved batteries rewinding my cassettes with a pencil :gucci:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

That's some incredible math :wow:
A+ for the 110% amount of effort put into your homemade horse shyt rant, you claiming 64 and/or 54% of Sony/Xbox owners rely on physical :rudy: So when these free games come every month then they hit you with sales like witcher 3 complete for $20 (been doing that for a year on live) and others heavily discounted and you think people have not been raking up on the discounts?

Everyone talks about digital vs physical but too often what I just touched on is overlooked or just flat out not acknowledged. Its kind of a big deal :ld:
in my life I've seen audio cassettes, games on cassette, vhs, beta, 5.25 inch floppies, 3.5 inch floppies, LP's, 45's, cartridges, zip-drives, CD's, DVD's, Blurays.... I don't miss none of that shyt. I don't long for the days when I saved batteries rewinding my cassettes with a pencil :gucci:
But you do miss putting the cotton swabs in the holes of the bottom of the cassette tapes so you could record :dj2:

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
Of course there will discs next gen. Take away the disc format and brick and mortar stores won’t be able to sell video games. No one is going to go to game stop or Best Buy to buy a digital code unless there is some discount involved. But as we are witnessing stores are now shying away from the game club discount model. Going digital would be great for Sony, ms, and Nintendo because most games will be bought directly from them with no need for third party sellers.

The disc model will still be here for quite some time whether it’s movies or games because people quite frankly like collecting that shyt.

I personally prefer digital because I’m lazy and hate having to switch discs out to play them. But as long as I can get a discount by purchasing physical games I will continue to do so. But once the discounts stop, I’m going strictly digital.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
But you do miss putting the cotton swabs in the holes of the bottom of the cassette tapes so you could record :dj2:
I would usually just put a crumpled up piece of paper, or cover the hole with tape/sticker

up all night with my finger on the pause button :ahh:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Of course there will discs next gen. Take away the disc format and brick and mortar stores won’t be able to sell video games. No one is going to go to game stop or Best Buy to buy a digital code unless there is some discount involved. But as we are witnessing stores are now shying away from the game club discount model. Going digital would be great for Sony, ms, and Nintendo because most games will be bought directly from them with no need for third party sellers.

The disc model will still be here for quite some time whether it’s movies or games because people quite frankly like collecting that shyt.

I personally prefer digital because I’m lazy and hate having to switch discs out to play them. But as long as I can get a discount by purchasing physical games I will continue to do so. But once the discounts stop, I’m going strictly digital.
the thing is these companies need brick and mortar stores to sell their hardware. but the stores don't make a lot of profit off the hardware, so they need to sell games to make some money. take away the games, and the stores won't want to deal with the hardware

it is a dilemma

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
the thing is these companies need brick and mortar stores to sell their hardware. but the stores don't make a lot of profit off the hardware, so they need to sell games to make some money. take away the games, and the stores won't want to deal with the hardware

it is a dilemma
Amazon, Microsoft store, Wal-Mart. And with the cloud doing the heavy lifting I fully expect them to charge as much as $300 for a system that only cost them $100 tops to make. The play console quality on any device means the hardware itself won't be as important. So there's opportunity there in maximizing profits :manny:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
What is your limit?

What company so you use?

Do you download a lot?

I have att uverse, the fastest internet available in my area.

Cap is 300GB.

I dont download alot, my first time ever hitting the cap.

Downloading multiple 50+ GB games along with the pro patches for each game set me over the limit.

This is a problem these isps have to deal with if we are expected to go digital only next gen.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
I have att uverse, the fastest internet available in my area.

Cap is 300GB.

I dont download alot, my first time ever hitting the cap.

Downloading multiple 50+ GB games along with the pro patches for each game set me over the limit.

This is a problem these isps have to deal with if we are expected to go digital only next gen.
Let me guess, internet ONLY? Because when you DON'T bundle is when they throttle. I can't speak for att but Cox and Comcast don't play that.