Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Is it?

Are you not doing quests very often? 90% of them offer money. Not saying I'm balling out of control or anything but between getting gear from Unique monsters and getting money from quests I haven't had much of a problem outfitting my party.

Fred.
I feel like I HAVE to do them to get money. And while that's not a problem, going out and picking up quests takes way more time than I feel it should. Running all over the city to hit these exclamation points.... That shyt will take you an hour easily. But if you don't do this shyt, you'll be broke
This.

I'm :dahell: at people earlier in the thread boosting this shyt up as better than "XC2". I wouldn't put it anywhere near that game so far. Granted, I'm only to the Nopon village....but "XC2" grabbed me immediately. This is game is fun and I enjoy it but this is clearly the first game. What I mean is, "XC2" improved on it in virtually every way.

Fred.
Its weird.

Maybe at the time, this was something way more powerful or something but there's no way I'd have it above XC2 at this point. Which isn't a knock or anything - a sequel (really the second sequel if you count XCX) is supposed to be better.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If you haven't made it past the "plot twist" you haven't experienced the best of the game. When shyt hits the fan with Melia that's the good part of the game.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel like I HAVE to do them to get money. And while that's not a problem, going out and picking up quests takes way more time than I feel it should. Running all over the city to hit these exclamation points.... That shyt will take you an hour easily. But if you don't do this shyt, you'll be broke

Its weird.

Maybe at the time, this was something way more powerful or something but there's no way I'd have it above XC2 at this point. Which isn't a knock or anything - a sequel (really the second sequel if you count XCX) is supposed to be better.
I think Story-wise it tops XC2. Also like Shulk, Reyn and crew more than Rex and them. I also liked how you can attack more freely in battles, but that said, XC2 is a much more concise game. Its just the weaker characters, muddier visuals and colors, different art direction and annoying field skill checks that puts it below XC1

Still two of the best JRPGs in the last 10 years IMO

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I think Story-wise it tops XC2. Also like Shulk, Reyn and crew more than Rex and them. I also liked how you can attack more freely in battles, but that said, XC2 is a much more concise game. Its just the weaker characters, muddier visuals and colors, different art direction and annoying field skill checks that puts it below XC1

Still two of the best JRPGs in the last 10 years IMO
Yeah, I don't want my post to be considered as a shot at XC1. Honestly, each game could've legit been the best RPG in the year it released.

I didn't think I'd like this party as much as I do.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
This.

I'm :dahell: at people earlier in the thread boosting this shyt up as better than "XC2". I wouldn't put it anywhere near that game so far. Granted, I'm only to the Nopon village....but "XC2" grabbed me immediately. This is game is fun and I enjoy it but this is clearly the first game. What I mean is, "XC2" improved on it in virtually every way.

Fred.

Yup they were amping this game the hell up and I remember people even saying the battle system was better. Dude, when I first started playing I was thinking it was something like XC2 where the combat system really starts to shine later on...20 hours later, NOPE. I'm like "nikka this is really all there is to it". I remember the first time I got to Mor Ardain and that music started firing off I was like:

:gladbron:

shyt was sooooooooo hype. I have not had one moment like that in this game.

similar feeling to this, xc2 caught me by chapter 3 or so, cuzz the gameplay started off real simplistic and truly fell in love by chapter 6/7.

However, so far the gameplay in XC1 is cool but is nowhere near as good IMHO than the 2nd one, the narrative does feel like its gonna end up been better but the gameplay is just aight for now. the forums had me hype cuzz folks are swearing this game was levels above the 2nd one and i dont see it.

Folks just have that nostalgia factor , where in their heads the original is always better than the sequel no matter what,and they blow it outta proportion on how good it was. It could be because XC2 gameplay can get a bit complex at first folks get frustrated and think this suck, but once it clicks and u accumulate a good number of blades:blessed::wow::wow:

Yup, it was nostalgia, they gave it extra credit cuz they added the elation they felt playing it with their cousin in the summer while eating pizza during a sleep over. Then they also added what I will call Reminiscent High Resolution Graphics Disillusionment Syndrome...where old ass games in your head have the best graphics ever because you remember them how dope they were for the time...then you play them and be like:

:sadcam: "Oh my god all the jaggies!!!"

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Going down the Mechonis Sword now and fukk

This is a great game, but I need this game to move the hell along now :skip: Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent game but its needlessly big and the controls in battle are a straight up mess. I didn't realize how big the jump from XB1 to Chronicles X was.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
So I finally got started and I got to chapter 3 last night. Smash Bros already spoiled what happened here but man even then it got me like:mjcry:.

Just based on first impressions Shulk is much better than where Rex started in Xenoblade 2.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Going down the Mechonis Sword now and fukk

This is a great game, but I need this game to move the hell along now :skip: Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent game but its needlessly big and the controls in battle are a straight up mess. I didn't realize how big the jump from XB1 to Chronicles X was.

Man I’m trying to make it to prison island and I’m getting bored...im tryna hold on but damn.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Man I’m trying to make it to prison island and I’m getting bored...im tryna hold on but damn.
For all these big ass areas and towns, almost nothing happens in them

I'm on Chapter 13 now and I'm just.... I'm ready for it to be over so I can get to the epilogue. The combat doesn't get better. The characters don't really evolve all that much. The overall plot definitely has its moments, but even with the new paint job - this game is dated. And there's no way to get around it. Its about two years away from being legitimately unplayable.

I'm firmly convinced that XB1 was hyped through the roof as some all time RPG by the typical loud section of Nintendo fans. Its good, I keep saying that but I want to be clear about it lol.... Its a good game. At the time, it was probably hitting way harder. But these are some bad, bad flaws. I spend more time looking at the action bar and meters than actual combat. The equipment/inventory/gem system is TRASH. These fields are gorgeous, but they're painfully empty - probably my biggest complaint. These characters are all stale as fukk up to this point. These dungeons are sleep.

But when the game is cooking its crack :snoop:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC

I'm on Chapter 13 now and I'm just.... I'm ready for it to be over so I can get to the epilogue. The combat doesn't get better. The characters don't really evolve all that much. The overall plot definitely has its moments, but even with the new paint job - this game is dated. And there's no way to get around it. Its about two years away from being legitimately unplayable.

I'm firmly convinced that XB1 was hyped through the roof as some all time RPG by the typical loud section of Nintendo fans. Its good, I keep saying that but I want to be clear about it lol.... Its a good game. At the time, it was probably hitting way harder. But these are some bad, bad flaws. I spend more time looking at the action bar and meters than actual combat. The equipment/inventory/gem system is TRASH. These fields are gorgeous, but they're painfully empty - probably my biggest complaint. These characters are all stale as fukk up to this point. These dungeons are sleep.

Yup 100%. The story is so dope (I read the plot on Wikipedia cuz I know I’m not gonna beat it) but as you said...the gameplay is outdated. None of the characters are interesting either. I really liked Rex, Pyra, Nia, Dromarch, Zeke, Pandoria, etc...everyone had character...I’m not really getting that on XB1.

I wish this game got the Final Fantasy 7R treatment and got the XBC2 combat system and was recreated rather than having a touch up.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

One thing I notice right away that the combat system is so much smoother in XB2. You got the d-pad to switch your blades and you use A, B, X, and Y to use your arts and special arts. Versus here you have to make sure you have the right art selected meaning you have to take your eyes off the enemy sometimes. That is something XB2 did well to improve on.

I feel like its extremely awkward for most players to jump from Xenoblade 2 to the original. From a combat perspective, the sequel is superior. Granted both aren't easy to learn right off the bat, but going from 1 to 2 makes the transition easier. Because IMO you won't truly master the combat until you do post-game super bosses. Or at least that is how it was for me. Granted I felt Torna took everything Xenoblade had and made it more user friendly. Outside of the community system Torna is golden.

Lastly, I haven't played X hopefully we will get a port eventually. But from what I have seen from YouTubers it shouldn't be compared to the other Xenoblade games. By committing less to the story, they focused more on the open world and combat aspects of the game.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
One thing I notice right away that the combat system is so much smoother in XB2. You got the d-pad to switch your blades and you use A, B, X, and Y to use your arts and special arts. Versus here you have to make sure you have the right art selected meaning you have to take your eyes off the enemy sometimes. That is something XB2 did well to improve on.

I feel like its extremely awkward for most players to jump from Xenoblade 2 to the original. From a combat perspective, the sequel is superior. Granted both aren't easy to learn right off the bat, but going from 1 to 2 makes the transition easier. Because IMO you won't truly master the combat until you do post-game super bosses. Or at least that is how it was for me. Granted I felt Torna took everything Xenoblade had and made it more user friendly. Outside of the community system Torna is golden.

Lastly, I haven't played X hopefully we will get a port eventually. But from what I have seen from YouTubers it shouldn't be compared to the other Xenoblade games. By committing less to the story, they focused more on the open world and combat aspects of the game.
I'd also argue the story in X is better :yeshrug: there's only one real standout party member - and she shyts on Xenoblade's whole roster