Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Currently playing this game off the strength of the 2nd one. I want to play 3 next.

Man, I'm sure this is already well documented but who's idea was it to have SO MANY missable timed side quest or so many side quest in general. After every new area or several chapters have passed I go back to all the towns and play around with the clock and look for anymore side quest on the map. The combat is (of course) not as good as the sequel (duh) but man is it 2-3 steps back. Chain Attacks are basically pointless. It's all about Break, Topple and whatever. When that's not going on I find it best to has Dunban on the squad with HIGH Agility and Aggro, while I have Low Aggro and attack from other angles with my arts. So that much is cool. The story has it moments but overall it's not much going on. I'm at chapter 12 or 13 I think. Trying to get the band back together.

Overall though I think the game is a legit 8, I wish I played it a decade ago. I actually had it but never played it :russ: so I'm not getting the nostalgia a lot of folks have with this game since it's my first run and so many better JRPGs have come and gone.
Topple locking is the main start in this game. It is the only viable strat against the superbosses. Chain attacks is still really useful for pilling up damage. But yea def has less potential then the other 2 games in the series.

Honestly going backwards in the series is rough since QoL changes that you lose. Tho granted nothing is worse than that compass they had in 2. Unless you are a completionist the only side quests you really should do is those that help unlike new skills.