Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Oddly enough, I think X is better than this across the board.
These games are hugely narrative driven and I've avoided X because the community trashes it's story.

Maybe I will give it a shot. I just heard it is more focused on an online world than the story.

I play these games for the world building, the sci fi/deeply philosophical plots and character building. The community says X lacks in those departments but to be fair I haven't tried it yet myself.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
These games are hugely narrative driven and I've avoided X because the community trashes it's story.

Maybe I will give it a shot. I just heard it is more focused on an online world than the story.

I play these games for the world building, the sci fi/deeply philosophical plots and character building. The community says X lacks in those departments but to be fair I haven't tried it yet myself.
I think that the community response at the time was basically wanting a continuation of the style from previous entries and expansion on what XB1 did in particular. I always thought it was kinda bullshyt, playing Xenoblade 1 now.... I'm feeling kinda validated not gonna lie.

XCX does have a bit of a .hack or mmo feel to it, but the world is definitively better top to bottom. Its the primary storyteller and not your party. And that narrative shift is just not what most people like in general. For a franchise that's never done it before too? The fans and loyalists just weren't trying to see it.

There's really only one character worth mentioning in Chronicles X and she's miles better than everyone in 1.

Just a damn shame that its pretty much impossible to play unless you've got a WiiU laying around.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For all these big ass areas and towns, almost nothing happens in them

I'm on Chapter 13 now and I'm just.... I'm ready for it to be over so I can get to the epilogue. The combat doesn't get better. The characters don't really evolve all that much. The overall plot definitely has its moments, but even with the new paint job - this game is dated. And there's no way to get around it. Its about two years away from being legitimately unplayable.

I'm firmly convinced that XB1 was hyped through the roof as some all time RPG by the typical loud section of Nintendo fans. Its good, I keep saying that but I want to be clear about it lol.... Its a good game. At the time, it was probably hitting way harder. But these are some bad, bad flaws. I spend more time looking at the action bar and meters than actual combat. The equipment/inventory/gem system is TRASH. These fields are gorgeous, but they're painfully empty - probably my biggest complaint. These characters are all stale as fukk up to this point. These dungeons are sleep.

But when the game is cooking its crack :snoop:
:picard:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I think that the community response at the time was basically wanting a continuation of the style from previous entries and expansion on what XB1 did in particular. I always thought it was kinda bullshyt, playing Xenoblade 1 now.... I'm feeling kinda validated not gonna lie.

XCX does have a bit of a .hack or mmo feel to it, but the world is definitively better top to bottom. Its the primary storyteller and not your party. And that narrative shift is just not what most people like in general. For a franchise that's never done it before too? The fans and loyalists just weren't trying to see it.

There's really only one character worth mentioning in Chronicles X and she's miles better than everyone in 1.

Just a damn shame that its pretty much impossible to play unless you've got a WiiU laying around.
I actually do have a Wii U laying around.:russ:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Just got to chapter 8 and one thing I will say is the side quests are kind of out of control. Granted I do enjoy them since I get to explore the world more, but for the majority of players, this is a bad thing. Honestly, unless you need money I would avoid them tbh. Although they do increase affinity which is important.

I honestly like how affinity is done in this game since it forces you to try each new character since it is easier to earn affinity when they are the leader. It is a lot better then affinity system with the blades in Xenoblade 2 since if you get the better blades late such as Zenobia, Kos-Mos,
Poppi QT Pi, Fiora, Shulk or Elma.

It just can be overwhelming to grind trust for them.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
i agree with posters before me, that the narrative is great but game play feels dated. If u played XC2 prior to this it feels like ur going backwards. I know that the simplicity of the gameplay makes it easier to get into for some but if u played the 2nd one before then u will be like that's it:patrice:

thing have played older games and some feel fine, but this one just:francis:

I have an example, MSG3 has a great narrative but i went back to play it on my psnow, and those controls are an abomination:hhh::scust:, compare to msg5 or other more modern games those controls are atrocious, idk how i beat it back in the day.:picard:

Sadly for this game, i've been busy with berseria to quell my RPG needs:blessed:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Jumped back into this yesterday, got to Prison Island.
I'm enjoying the game but I can't really disagree with any of the complaints that were mentioned on this last page. :francis:

And I'm still not sure what people are talking about saying 1 is better than 2. Seems like a bunch of nostalgia honestly. Again, I'm having fun but I wouldn't put this anywhere near 2. You can tell they looked at what was weak in 1 and tried to improve on it in the sequel.
Even the wackest part of 2 (the Community system in the DLC) is from the first game. :unimpressed:

I'm hoping they bring X to the Switch. They'd be stupid not to at this point.

Fred.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Jumped back into this yesterday, got to Prison Island.
I'm enjoying the game but I can't really disagree with any of the complaints that were mentioned on this last page. :francis:

And I'm still not sure what people are talking about saying 1 is better than 2. Seems like a bunch of nostalgia honestly. Again, I'm having fun but I wouldn't put this anywhere near 2. You can tell they looked at what was weak in 1 and tried to improve on it in the sequel.
Even the wackest part of 2 (the Community system in the DLC) is from the first game. :unimpressed:

I'm hoping they bring X to the Switch. They'd be stupid not to at this point.

Fred.

I disagree that the community being the worst part in 2. The gacha system for getting blades in 2 was horrific. Sure you can just ignore it and just play the main story but to me I feel like I have to explore everything a JRPG has to offer. Plus some of the blade quest were awful as well. (Looking at you Ursula :ufdup:)

Its the main reason that I would actually prefer Torna over XB2.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I disagree that the community being the worst part in 2. The gacha system for getting blades in 2 was horrific. Sure you can just ignore it and just play the main story but to me I feel like I have to explore everything a JRPG has to offer. Plus some of the blade quest were awful as well. (Looking at you Ursula :ufdup:)

Its the main reason that I would actually prefer Torna over XB2.

I didn't really care about that. Yeah the RNG aspect of it was :comeon: but you had damn near unlimited chances to get Blades. It's not as if the Core Crystals were hard to come by.

As far as the Blade quests....again :yeshrug: the quests in most JRPGs aren't anything special. Hell, 90% of the quests in this game are "kill X number of monsters" or "collect X number of items". At least in 2 there was a little bit of story for each of the Blades.

Fred.