Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't watch anime so I can't really comment on that aspect of the games.

2 OD'ed on the sex appeal, though. I will say that. Every girl was build like an IG model. 1 ain't much better, honestly. I been putting armor on Sharla and it's literally all halter tops and Daisy Dukes. :dahell:

I wasn't wow'ed by the cast of characters in either game. I'll say I liked the dynamic of the characters more in 2.

So far (and granted, I'm only around half way through 1) I prefer the story of 2. I fukking loved the story of 2, especially towards the end.

World? Again, 2. The Switch obviously doesn't have the hardware limitations of the Wii. In 2 it seems like they were able to execute the ideas they had envisioned for the game world in 1.

Combat? 2, all day. Like I said earlier in the thread, they expanded on and improved the combat of 1 in the 2nd game.

Other random stuff like quests I'd say are equally :ld: both games. Which is typical of JRPGs. I will say 2 had better "activities" or whatever you want to call them, as far as extra stuff that added to the game play. Like the diving stuff, collecting Core Crystals, etc.

Fred.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Appreciate it. fukk it, 10 more hours won't hurt.

rNJ5Uq7.gif

The story of a game 70 hours long can be summed up in two paragraphs or less until the last three chapters with nothing of significance lost. Every character in this game is bad. I can't believe Shulk had enough fans to warrant his spot in Smash Bros. The world is actually very interesting and plainly beautiful - traveling in it? Trash. This combat had to have been jank at the time too. I don't know if I could've finished this game without the auto-run feature.

I'm only disappointed because I had a high expectations but at the same time, this one of the best JRPG franchises ever. You just expect certain things. Out of the entire franchise, I could only put this Xenoblade Chronicles 1 over Xenosaga Episode 2 - and that's not entirely fair because its the only bad game in the franchise. This game isn't bad by any means but its wholly misrepresented in nearly every aspect. I'm just retroactively baffled that I let people talk me into believing that it was better than X or 2. Most of the characters you get have their development either finished by the time they join your party or have it tidily knotted off 50 hours later with nothing in between. The only reason I could even see the last few bosses in the game was because I was so overleveled that I didn't have to divert all my attention to the UI.

I don't even know how you say 2 was shounen and fan service when Sharla is nothing but a soulless husk with titties and Shulk literally spends the entire game going from one sword powerup to the next. Its amazing to me how no one talks about how this is by far the worst group of characters in the entire franchise. Not just the main party, but across the board. I'm okay with wasted pixels on random fukkery when the main characters are worth the time spent.

This party was so forgettable that I actually forgot some people were in my party while I was playing the game :dead:

Solid 7/10 game that got carried by an fanfukkingtastic OST, overall directon, and being ahead of its time in regards to its scope - and pulling it off the Wii of all platforms. This game is not bad. And I probably would've enjoyed it more without years of hyperbole...
Xenosaga III and Xenogears are the only games in the franchise I'd put above this. I can't count Xenoblade Chronicles X because it bored me so much I dropped it after like maybe 10 hours and never touched it again. I own a copy of Torna which I bought to support the developer but I never plan on playing it. As much as I disliked Xenosaga Episode 2 I actually finished it and every other game in the series outside those 2.

I play the games in this series mostly for the story. If I want amazing exploration or gameplay there are other games that offer that.

Part of it is many didn't play Xenoblade before playing 2. Your opinion will be changed by that. Like when it comes to Final Fantasy games I played 8 and 9 before 7 and 6 and I like both 8 and 9 better than either 7 or 6.

It's hard to go back and play an old ass game in this era where games have become technical achievements and have the same level of appreciation for it that people who played it in it's time have for it. It's why when I recommend the Trails series to people I tell them start with Sky because if you start with Cold Steel you're gonna have a much lower tolerance for Sky or even Crossbell.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Xenosaga III and Xenogears are the only games in the franchise I'd put above this. I can't count Xenoblade Chronicles X because it bored me so much I dropped it after like maybe 10 hours and never touched it again. I own a copy of Torna which I bought to support the developer but I never plan on playing it. As much as I disliked Xenosaga Episode 2 I actually finished it and every other game in the series outside those 2.

I play the games in this series mostly for the story. If I want amazing exploration or gameplay there are other games that offer that.

Part of it is many didn't play Xenoblade before playing 2. Your opinion will be changed by that. Like when it comes to Final Fantasy games I played 8 and 9 before 7 and 6 and I like both 8 and 9 better than either 7 or 6.

It's hard to go back and play an old ass game in this era where games have become technical achievements and have the same level of appreciation for it that people who played it in it's time have for it. It's why when I recommend the Trails series to people I tell them start with Sky because if you start with Cold Steel you're gonna have a much lower tolerance for Sky or even Crossbell.

Kind of surprised you never touched Torna. It took everything amazing from the base game and made slight modifications to improve the experience. (Getting a set number of blades, allowing to review tutorials, blade/driver switch, etc). The only negative was the community system, which can be avoided if you do side quests when they become available.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC

The problem was all the XC1 fans hyping that shyt up through the roof. Talking about how much better Shulk was than Rex and how it had stronger characters and story.

I just wrapped up the first High Entia part heading to prison island and I literally can’t even focus enough to play it anymore.

The game is so boring and the battle system is so shallow...the chain combos are damn near pointless.

This game is ass...I wouldn’t be so disappointed if it was $20 bucks but it wasn’t.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
The problem was all the XC1 fans hyping that shyt up through the roof. Talking about how much better Shulk was than Rex and how it had stronger characters and story.

I just wrapped up the first High Entia part heading to prison island and I literally can’t even focus enough to play it anymore.

The game is so boring and the battle system is so shallow...the chain combos are damn near pointless.

This game is ass...I wouldn’t be so disappointed if it was $20 bucks but it wasn’t.
The same people who hyped this shyt to death won't tell you that High Entia is big as fukk for zero functional purpose whatsoever. My eyes were glazing over running from one part of that empty stadium to the next to get 'plot'.

Once you realize you can topple lockdown enemies indefinitely, the game ceases to be a challenge - and they knew it too. Enemies over 6+ levels or so straight up won't even let you hit them due the way that agility scales in this game :mjlol: they knew this shyt was broken after one series of playtesting.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
The same people who hyped this shyt to death won't tell you that High Entia is big as fukk for zero functional purpose whatsoever. My eyes were glazing over running from one part of that empty stadium to the next to get 'plot'.

Once you realize you can topple lockdown enemies indefinitely, the game ceases to be a challenge - and they knew it too. Enemies over 6+ levels or so straight up won't even let you hit them due the way that agility scales in this game :mjlol: they knew this shyt was broken after one series of playtesting.

Dude for real, I think that’s the thing that turned me off the most. High Entia is basically running from teleport to teleport and every now and then fighting either a glowing orb, a dinosaur bird, a caterpillar, or an iguana man.

The huge plot twist after this part is epic AF and I’m glad I got to read about it on Wikipedia cuz I would never have found out about it otherwise.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

I feel like viewing this game as a new game is not fair because to me it is strictly a remaster. Sure you have the extra content and the quality of life improvements. (On that topic how the hell did people tolerate the side quests shyt back then.) But at the end of the day, the core elements about this game is no different then it was back in 2010, which is 10 years ago. Because of the gameplay being dated I feel it will lower our experience. At the end of the day, the exploration and combat aspects of this game will feel underwhelming when compared to 2 and X.

Is it worth $60? Probably not. But I have been having a blast with this game just like I did with 2 and Torna.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I feel like viewing this game as a new game is not fair because to me it is strictly a remaster. Sure you have the extra content and the quality of life improvements. (On that topic how the hell did people tolerate the side quests shyt back then.) But at the end of the day, the core elements about this game is no different then it was back in 2010, which is 10 years ago. Because of the gameplay being dated I feel it will lower our experience. At the end of the day, the exploration and combat aspects of this game will feel underwhelming when compared to 2 and X.

Is it worth $60? Probably not. But I have been having a blast with this game just like I did with 2 and Torna.
The thing is, the game couldn't have even been that good when it released :yeshrug:

I play remasters and retro all the time. Its not the fresh eyes that are creating these impressions, its the years of energy from who hyped this game through the roof. This battle system is just barely passable. The game's story only sees the best efforts in the beginning and end of the game. I can forgive a sloppy inventory, a stiff world, or poor AI and all of that. The core of the game is simply weak and it had to have always been.

But their hype and loyalty got us X and XB2 so :manny:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

Its crazy how this shyt been stuck in my head for four fukking days :damn:

Edit: fukk, Now I'm going through the OST altogether. :snoop: Fire soundtracks do too much for a product overall.

Chapter 16 stuff
I talk a lot of shyt, but every fight with Gadolt was put together so damn well

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Game is opening the fukk is now. I’m at level ten and I think I’m over leveled. But the super strong guys can always kick your ass if you’re not careful.

This game is fire!!

I think I’m gonna like this this one Better than the sequel which I never finished. Will likely restart that one after I finish this shyt

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
i decided i want to finish this game because they way folks are linking XC, XC2, torna all together has me intrigued. Even though am not a big fan of the gameplay.:francis::unimpressed:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Youre on crack breh. Xenoblade Chronicles is widely regarded as a classic JRPG masterpiece in the genre.

You're in the minority with this wack opinion breh.
nah. its widely regarded by wii fans who were starved for a quality RPG on the system...

edit: you on level 10? :dead: let me know how you feel around chapter 11 or so. fatigue hits like a truck around that point.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
That was the shortest chapter by far but HOLY shyt. So much shyt just happened god damn.