X-MEN Apocalypse (Official Thread)

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
when I say character driven I meant more of a focus on the interpersonal ideologies and interactions between characters being a larger part than most comic book movies. first class and dofp really fleshed out mags/xavier as characters. This movie was pretty much just there though and retreaded every character development they had made thus far. I thought it was aight overall but my biggest problem with comic book movies lately is can we get someone who is a good director but also an actual fan of the material? No one who has even a passing knowledge of XMen would set up a story in which

1.Mystique is not only a hero but some sort of MLK of mutants
2.Pretty much having Jlaw bum ass play Katniss again :dahell:
3.Have more continuity issues than pretty much anything I've seen recently
4.Have such a brash Scott summers
5.Have Angel and Nightcrawler introduced by...fukking cage fighting?
6.Have a usually penultimate villian in Apoc utilized against essentially babies
7.Have said babies actually win :dahell:
8.Jean has the phoenix force from out of no where :mindblown:
9.Oh and quiksilver being the fukking flash on crack.

There was a lot more but as a fan of the material this movie sucks. Its okay to watch but I grew up on MvC addictions and xmen the cartoon. This nikka apoc was like my height trying to act like he shaq and it just a horrible casting and direction to take the character. I'm pretty sure you or me could take like 15 minutes and come up with a better conflict and usage for the mutants in this movie. shyt like that has to stop and I'm kind of upset I actually gave them money for this

Yeah, Singer's ass has got to go and good to hear that he is out the door. After re-watching it a 2nd time (moms wanted me to take her...*sigh*), it stuck more how outdated his whole style even is. From the lack of care to most characters to most of the action being meh and over down on slowdown moments to show anything worthwhile, even ironically Quicksilver's speed is depicted as the world moving slow around him, lol. I'm changing my rating to a 6 now.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
The Morlock Massacre and Fall of the Mutants still have some great moments, but it was never as consistently GOAT to me after Paul Smith left. That's where it got really patchy and started flip flopping between great and crappy IMO.

Paul Smith was killing it on that book. :wow:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Ummm....Black Panther had Black Bolt give him that death scream in House of M. Or did he also fight Mags in some issues before that happened or something. I don't recollect.
Oh u mean..the main House of M books.
House of M:Civil War #1-5 was a series telling how Magneto took over the world and how he found all his children during said takeover.
1676693-magvs_apoc_4.jpg

1676695-magnetovs_apoc_3.jpg

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Man. I'm still down to see this but it sounds like it has some major issues. I just finished reading the Fall Of The Mutants arc in the comics. (The x-men and x-factor portions) It's actually pretty dope to me. Not on the level of the Claremont/Byrne/Austin stories but still fun.

I'm kinda :mjcry: knowing that the Apocalypse in this movie will be way less cool than the Apocalypse in the comics. But now that Singer left... can we hope for a reboot this time?

And :mindblown: at the thought of a solo mystique movie. When we've never seen Storm done right and they're just barely beginning to treat Scott with any respect. I would take a Starjammers spinoff over Mystique. At least they could build up Lilandra and the Shi'ar empire that way.

And we still aren't going to see it done right for a while. This is storm

2166236-do.jpg

Dark skinned, and pretty physically imposing for women.

Why the fukk do we keep getting these light skin waifish ass women to play her :mjlol:

and ol girl few lines had me in the show dying at that accent :laugh: I was like...what accent was that shyt supposed to be. egyptian, kenyan, laotian???? :russ:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
It's kinda sad reading the later stuff of Claremont's original run. Huge drop in quality and just weird stuff happening and uninteresting villains. That '75 to '82 run is damn near perfect though. New Mutants and X-Factor really hurt the main title, IMO.
Claremont saved the franchise and is without doubt the greatest writer in X Men history. He created the greatest villains...the reason why Storm, Nightcrawler, colossus(all the 1975 x men) got popular was him, the way he had Sinister blow up with his manipulations were legendary, Rachel Summers was such a DOPE character at first(Cable ain't $hit compared to her, and of course his introduction of the Acolytes and final X story were great. Most importantly, he filled out Magneto's motivation and strongest traits from Uncanny #150 until X Men #1-3(second series)...the "A Fire In the night" story about how Magneto's first daughter died and "I Magneto" about how he worked for Control to capture Nazis and was betrayed to the point that his Brazilian doctor girlfriend Isabelle was killed were the strongest X stories of the 80s. The introduction of the arrogant superior minded Magneto was perfect.

Last edited:

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone actually like this version of Mystique? Like I have never heard anyone go like "damn really love Jens portrayal of her"

why do they think this would be a good idea?
The same reason they've kept the Mystique character going and turned her into an X-Man in these movies, because she's a big name actress. I'm surprised she wants to keep doing these films though.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
The same reason they've kept the Mystique character going and turned her into an X-Man in these movies, because she's a big name actress. I'm surprised she wants to keep doing these films though.
Probably striking while the iron is hot. She has to know nothing lasts forever. She can probably sign on for another 3 at damn near 40-50m....and they've already shown they'll bend over backwards allowing her to stay out of makeup for 90% of a movie.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Jean prolly sheilded everyone from night crawler like she did im the base

But for real. They butchered apocolypse. My brother said it the best

"Yiu cant have a guy be 5'7" stabding next to larger people and have him look intimidating"

fukk the love for this guy. I forget his name off top but poe dameron can eat a dikk

Its like singer doesnt give a fukk about continuity and just makes what he wants which has been his MO since day 1

The 8 min youtube video of apoc quotes is better than this movies depiction of apoc

And boo hoo magneto again

Dude murdered THOUSANDS if not millions and they let him go at the end. fukk is wrong with xavier. shyt made no sense.

The world building they couldnhave done and they always fall short
After second viewing this shyt is a 6 at best

Let him go? Who was gonna stop Magneto? The only reason he was putting up with "hidind" was the family aspect. Xavier and Mystique pleaded with him the second half of the movie. They didn't even try to stop him.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Yeah in the next film, I want to see some drawbacks to Quicksilver's powers. Right now he's so fast, that he can end any threat by himself. They need to show that he can only go that fast for short amounts of time. Kinda similar to Nightcrawler. At the final battle, Nightcrawler passed out because he was tired from teleporting so much.
Nah..he can't end any threat from someone who can take anything he does. Sinister can...he can regenerate and is very resilent to telepaths..ultra strong. Quicksilver can't stop Nathan Essex. He's a prep time guy too..not really a fighter.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I wish they woukf have at least cast her as a mutant you would want a whole movie around. Like Rogue. A movie built around a character who can effectively only make speeches and espionage wont be that dope. It will basically be black widow as a shifter. Boring af