Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
HOTD could still be impacted since there will be no rewrites. Could be a disaster. We'll see.

There thing I wonder about is whether the last decade of algorithm driven #content has conditioned people for the devaluing of writing. To the point that whether a human or AI is writing, it's ultimately dictated by the algorithm so does the machine win regardless? Obviously there are great shows out there with great writing, but most people aren't watching The Bear or Severance. They're watching trash. If AI can pop out an NCIS episode will boomers notice? If AI produces a new show with an overweight black woman, a sassy gay friend, interracial relationships etc will the masses notice anything different? A lot of this stuff is designed specifically the appeal as "second screen content." Meaning it's something you throw on TV while you browse your phone, and every 5 minutes there will be a scene specifically designed for you to look up from your phone and react to something crazy. Maybe you'll record it and upload it on Twitter so it goes viral. Surely AI can do that too and generate the same results.

I support the writers. I just have a bad feeling they unknowingly spent all this time designing their casket. And whether it's this time or the next time in x years, at some point they're gonna crawl into it and it's game over.
Excellent post. I just had this same convo recently

I got plenty of posts on here about writing going to shyt but I also had to acknowledge that the consumers are as much to blame as Hollywood

I noticed the shift watching Game Of Thrones with people. Most times the average person is not that engaged because they're on their phone for the "boring" parts then quickly shoot their head up when someone yells or the action scene music triggers them to pay attention. I stopped watching so many garbage ass Netflix shows because I realized they were so bad I'd just leave it running while I did 4 other things. I don't completely turn my phone off while watching things but now I won't watch unless I'm at least 90% engaged

Bringing up HOTD is interesting because Game Of Thrones was so dense and intricate, but it became clear that only a minority cared about the intricacies of that story. HOTD is based on shallower source material which is a perfect formula for nikkas that barely paid attention while watching GOT in the first place. Of course HBO notices that and sees dollar signs which means cranking out more shallow Game Of Thrones material :francis:

This is why if nikkas do end up with AI scripts it's because we deserved it :francis: Even when you criticize some of these shows/movies and ask nikkas to demand better you get accused of base level pejoratives like nitpicking or "Y'all just hate women" while shyt writers get away with robbery

Last edited:

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Nikkas gotta stop calling somebody white just because they disagree:mjlol:

There's a real reason black men, and men and general have drifted away from so much of this shyt
I never heard a black man use "woke" in a derogatory fashion, like that poster did, unless they were a superc00n

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Excellent post. I just had this same convo recently

I got plenty of posts on here about writing going to shyt but I also had to acknowledge that the consumers are as much to blame as Hollywood

I noticed the shift watching Game Of Thrones with people. Most times the average person is not that engaged because they're on their phone for the "boring" parts then quickly shoot their head up when someone yells or the action scene music triggers them to pay attention. I stopped watching so many garbage ass Netflix shows because I realized they were so bad I'd just leave it running while I did 4 other things. I don't completely turn my phone off while watching things but I won't watch unless I'm at least 90% engaged

Bringing up HOTD is interesting because Game Of Thrones was so dense and intricate, but it became clear that a minority cared about the intricacies of that story. HOTD is based on shallower source material which is a perfect formula for nikkas that barely paid attention while watching GOT in the first place. Of course HBO notices that and sees dollar signs which means cranking out more shallow Game Of Thrones material :francis:

This is why if nikkas do end up with AI scripts it's because we deserved it :francis: Even when you criticize some of these shows/movies and ask nikkas to demand better you get accused of base level pejoratives like nitpicking or "Y'all just hate women"

It's a lack of attention span and the smartphone/while watching illness...

If you can't watch a show/movie without looking at your phone...don't watch....

I tend to like BBC shows since they are better written and treat the audience like an adult rather than a 10-year old American kid with ADHD....

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a lack of attention span and the smartphone/while watching illness...

If you can't watch a show/movie without looking at your phone...don't watch....

I tend to like BBC shows since they are better written and treat the audience like an adult rather than a 10-year old American kid with ADHD....
Also worth noting that BBC(and mostly foreign) shows tend to be shorter while also managing to be denser than most American shows

A season of Luther will be 4 episodes, but will tell a complete story and require more dedicated attention

Meanwhile an American Netflix show will have a 10 episode season off a story that could've been told in 5-6 eps. Some shyt full of filler and bloated, plodding episodes just to keep nikkas adding to the watch hours :scust:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
So these people telling me that all the good writers are union and there's no replacements just as good as them out there NON union???:what:
It would have to be a non union show

And you'd notice the quality drop. There's no reason to be non union in live action film if you're good at your job and expect to work on major productions

There's rules for this stuff man if you only work in corporate environments you wouldn't get it unless you took the time to research, it makes sense once you're in the field.

Y'all see the same thing in sports with the CBA but because you actually see how the players do things it's easier for y'all to grasp, y'all wouldn't want randos putting on NBA jerseys during a lockout, same shyt :yeshrug:

Although I think majority of film writing is shyt regardless :hubie: I'm book gang

Last edited:

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City

KILL YASELF

:devil:
:evil:

What you so mad it. It’s the truth

They jacked up the whole industry last time they did this and got NOTHING in return. All it did was leave a ton of people who were already broke in debt and unemployed and crippled a lot of good projects. Girlfriend was the longest running black sitcom in history and didnt even get a send off

This is NEVER about the little guy. In fact the little guy gets screwed everytime. But I’ll let you tell it in 3 months

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
No it isn't. The use of A.I in ALL facets of business is invetitable, this is like trying to take a stand against the internet in the late 90's
AI will ruin the world. So many jobs will be lost. These idiots don’t realize they’re creating something to take their own position in the future and turmoil for their seeds. :dead:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That point about "second screen" shows was worded and articulated perfectly, like I KNOW that, but I never had seen that so cleanly written out before. I read something once in 2019 that Gen Z and Millennial, respectfully, have at least 2, and at least 5 screens at any given time. Truly good TV or movies will make you sit up and pay attention, and I try really hard to stick to that, and when I start scrolling or something too far on Netflix, I just turn it off and go read or go to bed. But, no doubt, most people turn on something, and then scroll IG. There's no heart in those shows, and it comes through.

@Piff Perkins