Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
That point about "second screen" shows was worded and articulated perfectly, like I KNOW that, but I never had seen that so cleanly written out before. I read something once in 2019 that Gen Z and Millennial, respectfully, have at least 2, and at least 5 screens at any given time. Truly good TV or movies will make you sit up and pay attention, and I try really hard to stick to that, and when I start scrolling or something too far on Netflix, I just turn it off and go read or go to bed. But, no doubt, most people turn on something, and then scroll IG. There's no heart in those shows, and it comes through.

@Piff Perkins
TBH I had a friend tell me that years ago about sports for example. I really love basketball and watch games more than the average person. But he said you are there with a bare minimum with your phone multitasking. And if you have a tablet or laptop that's probably open too. I bet that's most people way of watching stuff period

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
TBH I had a friend tell me that years ago about sports for example. I really love basketball and watch games more than the average person. But he said you are there with a bare minimum with your phone multitasking. And if you have a tablet or laptop that's probably open too. I bet that's most people way of watching stuff period

It's a easy side effect of being the first "screen" generation. But, yeah, you are not fully in the moment. And it's just digital addiction. You reach for the phone for comfort. This is why I like seeing movies in theater, there's less temptation to scroll through a phone. I still do it at home, but my rule is when I am reading the NY Times and "watching" a show, I need to turn off one or both and do something else.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

@MidniteJay

full

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Name those shows. The shows I see, which isn’t much, don’t push that shyt. You really think AI would not do the same? AI might even increase it. :mjlol:

I'd doubt AI would push any agenda but I guess it depends on who is doing the approval of the story.

Studios are writers routinely go out of their way to emasculate brehs. Let the current crop of writers....write themselves out of existence.

Bring in the new blood..

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Name those shows. The shows I see, which isn’t much, don’t push that shyt. You really think AI would not do the same? AI might even increase it. :mjlol:

Dude is on record call gay people disgusting and depraved so I'm guessing any show with a gay character would be pushing agendas in his book :manny:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I'd doubt AI would push any agenda but I guess it depends on who is doing the approval of the story.

Studios are writers routinely go out of their way to emasculate brehs. Let the current crop of writers....write themselves out of existence.

Bring in the new blood..
You’re a fool if you think AI will do “better.” It’s these companies/studios that are pushing an “agenda.” :dead:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
It's wild to me.
AI is advanced to where it is now, and... do we have widely-available easy automation of menial tasks? No.
Using it to expedite advancement to allow humans to not work themselves to death their whole lives? No.
What are we doing instead?

We're letting the machines make our art and be creative in our stead through machine learning and a feed system that is literally just digitized plagiarism run through a compiler.

Thought the dream of the future was the machines doing all the work so humans could create and innovate and experience. But, leave it to capitalism to do the exact fukking opposite because it's too much work to pay the people who write/draw/envision the things we all love a value for what they provide.

Instead, let's let the machines copy the steez and then look at those creatives and go 'durrrr, go get a CDL' like we aren't also teaching machines to automate driving.

Swear to god motherfukkers are giddily shuffling the entirety of societal logic off a cliff in the name of advancement in the wrong direction

Work 50 hours a week for your whole life while the PC in the other room paints Bob Ross landscapes, writes screenplays and composes music. Just... completely fukking ass backwards :snoop:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Excellent post. I just had this same convo recently

I got plenty of posts on here about writing going to shyt but I also had to acknowledge that the consumers are as much to blame as Hollywood

I noticed the shift watching Game Of Thrones with people. Most times the average person is not that engaged because they're on their phone for the "boring" parts then quickly shoot their head up when someone yells or the action scene music triggers them to pay attention. I stopped watching so many garbage ass Netflix shows because I realized they were so bad I'd just leave it running while I did 4 other things. I don't completely turn my phone off while watching things but now I won't watch unless I'm at least 90% engaged

Bringing up HOTD is interesting because Game Of Thrones was so dense and intricate, but it became clear that only a minority cared about the intricacies of that story. HOTD is based on shallower source material which is a perfect formula for nikkas that barely paid attention while watching GOT in the first place. Of course HBO notices that and sees dollar signs which means cranking out more shallow Game Of Thrones material :francis:

This is why if nikkas do end up with AI scripts it's because we deserved it :francis: Even when you criticize some of these shows/movies and ask nikkas to demand better you get accused of base level pejoratives like nitpicking or "Y'all just hate women" while shyt writers get away with robbery
Yea, on one hand the initial inclination is to choose support of the writers over the suits... on the other hand by and large ain't nothing impressive with how these writers depict/utilize brehs. On some cookie cutter automated AI shyt, there was a string of streaming shows a year or so ago where it felt every brotha by design was gay, trans, or had the most minuscule agency (if any) out of the "main" cast.

But to your point you gotta be careful with the criticism because it turns into a why you hate gays, or toxic masculinity if you harp on Anthony Mackie getting his ass kicked a bit too much as a protagonist, or that black samurai Netflix anime (Yusuke) in which the mc/title character had no love interest, got his ass kicked throughout, and a little Asian girl was the real hero.

Maybe it's because i watched wrestling as a kid and went from a "mark" to a "smark" before i stopped watching altogether but i swear a lot of the ring psychology and "booking" in WWE applies to Hollywood. They'll be that occasional great story line but everything else mostly feels amateurish and then the "booking" of specific characters... well... :mjpls: