Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea, on one hand the initial inclination is to choose support of the writers over the suits... on the other hand by and large ain't nothing impressive with how these writers depict/utilize brehs. On some cookie cutter automated AI shyt, there was a string of streaming shows a year or so ago where it felt every brotha by design was gay, trans, or had the most minuscule agency (if any) out of the "main" cast.

But to your point you gotta be careful with the criticism because it turns into a why you hate gays, or toxic masculinity if you harp on Anthony Mackie getting his ass kicked a bit too much as a protagonist, or that black samurai Netflix anime (Yusuke) in which the mc/title character had no love interest, got his ass kicked throughout, and a little Asian girl was the real hero.

Maybe it's because i watched wrestling as a kid and went from a "mark" to a "smark" before i stopped watching altogether but i swear a lot of the ring psychology and "booking" in WWE applies to Hollywood. They'll be that occasional great story line but everything else mostly feels amateurish and then the "booking" of specific characters... well... :mjpls:
There's a few layers here

For one the problem is nikkas being TOO careful with criticism, ESPECIALLY black men. Black men neuter themselves way too much hoping to not look a certain way. That's one of the reasons shaming language is used so frequently and automatically on black men. The people doing the shaming know it works on us:snoop:

Your point about wrestling is more relevant than you may realize. Quentin Tarantino caused a huge shift in society where far more people became knowledgeable about film than ever before. You have regular people talking about the writing on a show. Everything is meta beyond belief. We're all "smarks" now, we all just have different levels of what we accept and demand

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
There's a few layers here

For one the problem is nikkas being TOO careful with criticism, ESPECIALLY black men. Black men neuter themselves way to much hoping to not look a certain way. That's one of the reasons shaming language is used so frequently and automatically on black men. The people doing the shaming know it works on us:snoop:

Your point a out wrestling is more relevant than you may realize. Quentin Tarantino caused a huge shift in society where far more people became knowledgeable about film than ever before. You have regular people talking about the writing on a show. Everything is meta beyond belief. We're all "smarks" now, we all just have different levels of what we accept and demand

100%. Tho with the being careful part i meant more-so being strategic, because if you get into shouting/trolling/shaming contest with the opps about it, then it's just a wasted exercise.

You see my recast link? i.e. I could argue with every idiot on the coli about how recasting T'Challa is 1) logical and 2) doesn't mean i hate black women, until the cows come home... but nah, i had more reach with the change.org approach (5K people who read/signed my ish in a few weeks) that prompted a big time youtuber to later steal the idea mimic it and get 60,000 signatures + media coverage, that eventually led to the producers and various actors questioned about it.

Not that i care who gets the credit or that anyone knows it was a random coli poster who helped/started the snowball effect, as long as the dialogue gets out there, powerfully. Generally I think we could do better at being strategic and/or at least having more conviction. If a movie, show, game doesn't have black folks or have them depicted in a way i approve from my own smark-level, i'm not supporting it financially.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
It's wild to me.
AI is advanced to where it is now, and... do we have widely-available easy automation of menial tasks? No.
Using it to expedite advancement to allow humans to not work themselves to death their whole lives? No.
What are we doing instead?

We're letting the machines make our art and be creative in our stead through machine learning and a feed system that is literally just digitized plagiarism run through a compiler.

Thought the dream of the future was the machines doing all the work so humans could create and innovate and experience. But, leave it to capitalism to do the exact fukking opposite because it's too much work to pay the people who write/draw/envision the things we all love a value for what they provide.

Instead, let's let the machines copy the steez and then look at those creatives and go 'durrrr, go get a CDL' like we aren't also teaching machines to automate driving.

Swear to god motherfukkers are giddily shuffling the entirety of societal logic off a cliff in the name of advancement in the wrong direction

Work 50 hours a week for your whole life while the PC in the other room paints Bob Ross landscapes, writes screenplays and composes music. Just... completely fukking ass backwards :snoop:
You can’t teach creativity to humans. Can a machine do that? :jbhmm:

charknicks

All Star
Daps
So these people telling me that all the good writers are union and there's no replacements just as good as them out there NON union???:what:

Can you make this make sense for me?

If a show (lets say Cobra Kai) just hires replacement writers to write the next season of the show, the WHOLE staff would now have to watch all the previous seasons, and then come up with the new ideas for the season to write, and then write that new season to make it make sense to fit with all of the previous stuff. How long would that take to happen? Then, who will do the acting, since Im sure alot of the actors will be on the side of the writers on these studio projects?

Now do this times ALL the different shows that are on strike. How many writers would be needed for all of this?

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why if nikkas do end up with AI scripts it's because we deserved it :francis: Even when you criticize some of these shows/movies and ask nikkas to demand better you get accused of base level pejoratives like nitpicking or "Y'all just hate women" while shyt writers get away with robbery
It's wild to me.
AI is advanced to where it is now, and... do we have widely-available easy automation of menial tasks? No.
Using it to expedite advancement to allow humans to not work themselves to death their whole lives? No.

We're letting the machines make our art and be creative in our stead through machine learning and a feed system that is literally just digitized plagiarism run through a compiler.

Thought the dream of the future was the machines doing all the work so humans could create and innovate and experience. But, leave it to capitalism to do the exact fukking opposite because it's too much work to pay the people who write/draw/envision the things we all love a value for what they provide.

Instead, let's let the machines copy the steez and then look at those creatives and go 'durrrr, go get a CDL' like we aren't also teaching machines to automate driving.

Swear to god motherfukkers are giddily shuffling the entirety of societal logic off a cliff in the name of advancement in the wrong direction

Work 50 hours a week for your whole life while the PC in the other room paints Bob Ross landscapes, writes screenplays and composes music. Just... completely fukking ass backwards :snoop:

It already happening

“Initially, the WGA's AI proposals looked like outliers. Everything else on the list was talking about writer compensation, making sure writers were paid fairly to justify the immense value they were bringing to the studios. Over the negotiation, it became clear that the AI proposals are really part of a larger pattern. The studios would love to treat writers as gig workers. They want to be able to hire us for a day at a time, one draft at a time, and get rid of us as quickly as possible. I think they see AI as another way to do that,” John August, a screenwriter known for writing the films Charlie’s Angles and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, told Motherboard.

“The idea that our concerns could be addressed by an annual meeting is absurd and honestly offensive. Everyone watching AI can tell you that these large language models are progressing at an incredible rate. AI-generated material isn't something that's going to become a factor in a few years. It's here now. It's lucky that we're negotiating our contract this year and not next year, before these systems become widely entrenched,” August said.

August expanded on the guild’s two AI stipulations for Vox, saying, “First, the guild wants to make sure that ‘literary material—the MBA term for screenplays, teleplays, outlines, treatments, and other things that people write—can’t be generated by an AI. If a movie made by a studio that has an agreement with the WGA has a writing credit—and that’s over 350 of America’s major studios and production companies—then the writer needs to be a person.”

“Second, the WGA says it’s imperative that ‘source material’ can’t be something generated by an AI, either. This is especially important because studios frequently hire writers to adapt source material (like a novel, an article, or other IP) into new work to be produced as TV or films,” August added. “It’s very easy to imagine a situation in which a studio uses AI to generate ideas or drafts, claims those ideas are ‘source material,’ and hires a writer to polish it up for a lower rate.”

“The immediate fear of AI isn’t that us writers will have our work replaced by artificially generated content. It’s that we will be underpaid to rewrite that trash into something we could have done better from the start. This is what the WGA is opposing and the studios want,” C. Robert Cargill, a screenwriter best known for writing the films Sinister and Doctor Strange, tweeted. “The same IP laws that prevent you from stealing our writing protects us from a machine doing it as well. Because AI is just cut and paste.”

The AMPTP’s position is yet another instance of an overblown perception of the capabilities of AI, and follows a number of corporate media shake-ups where executives decided to prioritize AI content over human-created content. Last week, BuzzFeed CEO Jonah Peretti shuttered BuzzFeed News, claiming in a letter that the digital media company would pivot to a new strategy that includes “AI enhancements.”

The reality is AI is still filled with misinformation and bias. Recently, Microsoft researchers acknowledged in a paper that GPT-4 has trouble distinguishing between true facts and guesses and personalizing outputs to users, and also tends to make far-fetched conceptual leaps. They also found that GPT-4 makes up facts that aren’t in its training data, is very sensitive to framing and wording of prompts, and inherits the prejudices and biases from its training data—something AI ethics researchers have proven time and again about machine learning systems in general.

Generative AI systems are already facing a number of copyright issues from writers and artists who claim that they were trained on their copyrighted data without permission. So far, Getty Images has filed a lawsuit against Stability AI, the company behind the text-to-image generator Stable Diffusion, for using a dataset that contains over 12 million photographs from Getty to train its AI model. Karla Ortiz, an artist and board member of an advocacy organization for artists called the Concept Art Association, is leading a fundraising effort to hire a lobbyist in Washington D.C. that can update IP laws and enforce more regulations for AI companies. There has not yet been a lawsuit filed by writers, but the desire to train AI using writers’ screenwriting is implausible without their explicit permission, which evidently and understandably, is not something that will be freely given.

Another issue that union writers are concerned about is the hardship faced by underpaid, often-foreign workers who are tasked to train, moderate, and upkeep many of the world’s largest AI models. AI experts have frequently pointed out that these systems are a lot less automated than they are often portrayed—so to cite efficiency in being able to reduce staff and rely on the AI tool is an oversimplification that further perpetuates a power imbalance and an exploitation of workers from countries with fewer workplace regulations.

“One of the things that I think that we're starting to rub up against is a laser focus on efficiency: what's the fastest way to get this done? How can we get this done cheaper? Well, that doesn't necessarily make life better,” Peeples said. “So we’re saying, before we render a judgment on whether AI is good or not, let’s talk about these things with a different lens on it—that efficiency and speed production is not of the highest value.”

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It's wild to me.

Capitalism is a disease.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This ChatGPT ain't no joke. I went on it the other day asking it to produce an idea about a TV show. It just spit it out. crazy.

dawg, I just asked it to write me a new episode of house of the dragon, and this is what it gave me:

Sure, here's a new episode of House of the Dragon:
Title: "The Princess and the Rogue"
Synopsis: With tensions rising between the Targaryens and the rogue lords of the Blackfyre rebellion, Princess Rhaenyra must navigate the dangerous political landscape of King's Landing while also dealing with personal demons.
The episode opens with Rhaenyra (Emma D'Arcy) sitting in her chambers, staring at a letter from her estranged husband, Laenor Velaryon. She flashes back to a memory of their wedding day, where she was forced to marry him by her father, King Viserys I (Paddy Considine), despite her love for her cousin, Prince Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith).
Meanwhile, tensions between the Targaryens and the Blackfyres continue to escalate. Lord Corlys Velaryon (Steve Toussaint) warns King Viserys that the Blackfyres are gaining support among the lords of Westeros, and that a war may be inevitable. Viserys dismisses his concerns, believing that his daughter Rhaenyra is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
As Rhaenyra attends a meeting of the small council, she is confronted by Lord Lyonel Strong (Joel Fry), a Blackfyre sympathizer who openly challenges her claim to the throne. Rhaenyra responds with a fiery speech, declaring that she will not let the Blackfyres tear apart her family and her kingdom.
Later, Rhaenyra meets with her uncle, Prince Daemon, who reveals that he has been secretly working with the Blackfyres to undermine her father's rule. Rhaenyra is horrified and conflicted, torn between her love for Daemon and her loyalty to her father and her own claim to the throne.
In the final scene, Rhaenyra sits alone in her chambers, contemplating her next move. She reads the letter from Laenor again, and makes a decision that will change the course of her life and the fate of the Seven Kingdoms.
As the camera pans out, we see a raven flying over King's Landing, carrying a message that will set events in motion for the next episode.

Regenerate response