Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
kZXx3go.png

Too bad Washington wouldn't copy that law here. They could pass it in less than 2 weeks. Cut and paste the complete text and put it to a vote.

Sounds as fair as it gets. I'm also not a lawyer and know next to nothing about French law

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
kZXx3go.png

And this is the key, for the people who keep thinking writers just want "more money"

What both writers and actors want is transparency, and that's the number one thing the streaming networks do not want.

Because transparency won't just highlight the hits, it'll highlight the misses, and show that overspending on content that people don't watch is what is propping up these services' stock prices.

That is the key. It's not about the content or the pay structures, it's about keeping data in-house so they can continue to lie about how well they're doing and how bright the future is.

You saw what happened when Netflix lost 200,000 subscribers.

A streaming service with over 200 million subscribers had a dip of 200,000 and it cost them almost a third of their stock price.

They'd rather overpay a little and keep the numbers to themselves than pay commensurate to success but give people a look at the spreadsheets.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And this is the key, for the people who keep thinking writers just want "more money"

What both writers and actors want is transparency, and that's the number one thing the streaming networks do not want.

Because transparency won't just highlight the hits, it'll highlight the misses, and show that overspending on content that people don't watch is what is propping up these services' stock prices.

That is the key. It's not about the content or the pay structures, it's about keeping data in-house so they can continue to lie about how well they're doing and how bright the future is.

A streaming service with over 200 million subscribers had a dip of 200,000 and it cost them almost a third of their stock price.

They'd rather overpay a little and keep the numbers to themselves than pay commensurate to success but give people a look at the spreadsheets.
I think Netflix just canceled an expensive ass rom-com, everyone saw the budget and said how:dahell:

Edit:

Last edited:

lib123

All Star
Daps

Using that logic, releasing the streaming breakdown could end up hurting most actors and writers in terms of fewer projects.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My film is slated to be released on September 19. I was told by SAG that, with the strike, I would need an interim agreement for SAG members to promote the film. My company ticks all the boxes to be approved so I applied six weeks ago. And I wait… And I wait… And I wait.

I am an avid supporter of the Screen Actors Guild and what that union is striking for. I admire and respect the fierce advocacy SAG provides for its members. My question to SAG: is that respect reciprocal?

I am not a member of the union or an affiliate of the organizations that they are striking against. I have little power other than to quietly support the movement by canceling my AMPTP-affiliated cable and streaming subscriptions in solidarity. Which I have done.
As I get closer to the planned and paid for red-carpet premiere, which is a requirement of my Transactional Video-on-Demand agreement, I see myself, my private equity investors, my company and possibly my future ability to produce in the independent feature world plummeting toward becoming collateral damage.

I see an opportunity for my young supporting cast to boast about their work and promote themselves toward new jobs dwindling, along with the possibility of a diminished gross revenue stream that all my actors contractually participate in.

As I have no access to information or counsel from SAG, I ponder as to how to explain to my investors why the cast of The West Wing can openly promote their historic show and repost same on social media, thus supporting the AMPTP-affiliated platform that airs their show, when my actors cannot sign a production still at a film convention without fear of losing membership.
I am left clueless as to why dozens upon dozens of interim agreements have been granted, many of which I have been told were processed in a much shorter amount of time, with some applied for long after ours was submitted.

My film was completed before the strike and is being distributed by a non-AMPTP-affiliated distributor. If the answers to the questions on the interim agreement application qualifies my production for the waiver, why can’t I simply sign the application confirming that under “penalty of my never being SAG signatory again” I state the information on the application is accurate and true and move forward?

As an example, the IRS does not evaluate my tax return before I submit it. I sign in a place that states that the facts included in my return are accurate and true under penalty of law. Less calls. Less paperwork. Swifter forward action.
As I stated, I am not a member of SAG or an affiliate of the organizations they are striking against. I am an independent filmmaker.

I am also a professional businessperson. I have a fiduciary responsibility to my investors to do everything I can to recoup their investment. What are my options? Do I hold the premiere and if my actors don’t show up, cite the talent for breach? Sue them for damages?

My actors signed and were compensated for a SAG-sanctioned agreement that includes publicity. Their union is saying that without the interim agreement they cannot show up to promote their film. So, what do I do? As a businessperson the answer is straightforward. As a creative, the choice is much more complicated.
n SAG’s continuing evaluation of the interim agreements, I am in hopes they will streamline the process for films that have been completed and are not in conflict with the strike as well as, bring on associates who understand the world of independent filmmakers.

Sometimes, the producer is not the bad guy. Sometimes the producer is the inadvertent victim who, like a member of SAG, is in need of an advocate and mutual respect.

I simply want to open my film, promote it as best I can and celebrate those that made it possible during the worst pandemic in a century.

Waiting…

Here are comments
Truly Indie Producer on August 29, 2023 11:34 am

The politics on the interim agreement are not transparent. Nepo-baby films and people with friends in high places are getting fast tracked and truly independent producers are being left out in the cold. I’ve been waiting 6 weeks with no response from SAG except that I’m in the queue and will be reviewed for film that was supposed to start this week.
Nick on August 29, 2023 12:03 pm

“I admire and respect the fierce advocacy SAG provides for its members. My question to SAG: is that respect reciprocal?”

I can respond to that: NO!
As an indie filmmaker, I just come to realize that there is simply no respect from SAG to anyone. I empathize with you, Michael. We’re in similar positions. We also submitted an IA application six weeks ago and I call SAG every week to follow up, only to be told “you just have to wait”. There’s nothing you can do except wait. Just wait…

Then, you see that projects starring celebrities get the IA. Then, a new rule is added that WGA-covered scripts shooting in the US won’t be eligible DESPITE having hundreds of them already greenlit. Because “they support WGA too” but oh, they won’t rescind the previous IAs that were approved. Every time you think you cleared a hurdle, new obstacles come up. As you wait in line, people with connections skip the line and close the door after them.

SAG behaves like a MAFIA. Favoritism, privileged treatment… It’s disgusting. I wouldn’t be surprised if people legitimately got richer from this IA black market.

Shame on you.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

I deeply fear that, like so many of the conniving and oblivious characters we love to despise, the studios thought they could use chaos to their own advantage and then call it back when they were done. Sure, let the writers strike; we’ll use the shutdown to burn off certain contracts and projects, and goose quarterly reports before offering the guilds just enough (but not too much) to send everyone back to work.

Except it has not worked out like that. At all.

Now, after major victories by UPS workers and airline pilots, among other groups agitating during this “hot labor summer,” what the AMPTP has so far treated as concessions can be recognized for what they are: lowball offers. And as both the WGA and SAG-AFTRA have proved, they are not interested in half measures of that sort, especially as the writers’ strike heads into its fifth month. Why would they? No writer or actor wants to be forced to strike again in another four years, and the only way to prevent that is to make reasonable gains on all the key issues this time around.