Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
I understand them wanting fair compensation for their work on streaming services, but unless AI or the usage of scanning techniques is extremely regulated, they might be outside waiting for a while. Now what I wonder if if these streaming prices are going to shoot up a decent amount because nikkas just throw around the word AI and ML as if it's something implement without bugs in four months.

Last edited:

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm: That commenter has a good question If the USA base film/television studios can get shows made shows/films outside the USA and air in the USA what is the point of the strike
Wait, They Can Make Shows Outside the US???

Wow, 50 international originals that don’t involve WGA or SAG members. Is that possible? Are other streamers besides Disney doing this too? And how does that help the two striking unions’ bargaining power if shows can just be made elsewhere with other creatives?

Extraordinary
Disney+ British comedy series Extraordinary Natalie Seery/Disney+ © 2021.

Disney+ has “pretty much” hit its target of creating 50 original international titles, according to its Europe content boss.

Disney’s SVP, Original Content, Europe and Africa, Keelan confirmed the target, which was set back in December 2020, had almost been met a year ahead of schedule. This is despite the general downturn in commissioning in Europe this year and potential changes in Disney+’s strategic focus going forwards spearheaded by Disney CEO Bob Iger.

“We’ve pretty much got there already,” said Keelan, though he added Disney+ is “never going to be in that high-volume game.”
He added: “It’s more about quality.”

The 50-title figure includes returning series such as Extraordinary, the British superhero workplace comedy about a world in which normal people have powers. Disney also today announced cast for UK thriller Playdate and unscripted show World War Shoe: Adidas Vs. Puma today at the Edinburgh TV Festival.

Keelan acknowledged the difficult media economy had impacted budgets but said it had not impacted its commissioning strategy.

“It would be remiss of me to say we’re immune to the industry-wide problems [on] budgets and the effect that has had,” said Keelan. “We’re still absolutely looking for the best content working with the best talent.”

He pointed to originals such as Rivals, which is an adaptation of the 1988 Jilly Cooper novel of the same name starring the likes of David Tennant and Aidan Turner as “huge scale shows” that highlight “the ambition is still absolutely there with Disney UK.”

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This is my opinion. Dont get offended. And lemme say i dont agree with everything thats happening. The digital scanning shyt crazy for example…

My dad was in a construction union in nyc. Picketed, fought on the line and everything. These pampered fukks are crying cause they took away their shade and sidewalks. They aint about nothing.

i dont feel bad for THESE people even a little.

one writer crying he made 40k for one ep of tv one year and 10k the next. A whole ep of tv huh. Extras making 300 a day to stand around huh. You know how hard u gotta work to make 300 a day in REAL life and not hollywoodland?

Meanwhile theres people literally breaking their bodies to do work they are way more underpaid for, but because they just construction/specialized workers they gotta work 10x as hard for 10x less the money; because theyll just bring in some immigrants or scabs.

Sorry i dont feel bad. Its the entertainment industry. Their prolly aint a cushier one. The essencenof the industry is gambling. So gamble. Theirs no guarantees. Its opinion based. Can you guarantee your show or movie gon make money? No. But a real union worker can guarantee their work. The building will stand. The car will work.

I believe in unions for backbreaking/mindbending work, not writing and acting. Sorry if this offends anyone but its how i feel. Actors always been on some commie me me me shyt while being spoiled by their industry making a shyt ton of money.

With the advent of online personalities, and scriptless content and AI, i would not get my hopes up. Its reality check time.
Proudly say you a corporate, bootlicking, piece of shyt, brehs

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:jbhmm: That commenter has a good question If the USA base film/television studios can get shows made shows/films outside the USA and air in the USA what is the point of the strike

Because the vast majority of foreign commissions are shows aimed at those markets, and they secondarily target the American market, in order to gain new subscribers in those countries.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!

"Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos is reportedly worried that agreeing to the deal will set a precedent for writers and actors in other territories to ask for fair deals"

Oh, that sounds terrible. How dare they? :skip:

*That's sarcasm for any of you about to reply with a needless, lengthy retort.