Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I talk about it all the time here, ive been in the movie industry in NYC since 2008. This shyt right here is affecting so many ppl on so many levels we are all out of work, hundreds of thousands of people in the tri state area. Not just every deparment in a shooting crew but Everyone from studio/sound stage janitors/cleaning crews, local delis who catered for giant crews on a daily basis, security teams, shyt im sure even the car/sprinter rental places that every crew used. I heard of a dude who was leasing more than 10+ soundstages that are now empty and hes stuck with outrageous rent until this is over. So many people are trying to figure out what to do

Thankfully for me, I had just financed the new 23 honda pilot elite a few months ago and im now doing uber XL/comfort in it :snoop: Im putting a shytload of miles in it but i gotta do what i gotta do to make this paper. I came home with $1600 last week driving all over jersey so its not too bad. My only work experience the past 15 years is in film/tv so i dont have much of a choice, i just hate having to drive 7-10 hours a day and putting so many damn miles on my shyt but its the only car i have right now

Word is the studios are gonna bleed the unions until Oct. since they estimate many crew members and even actors don't have enough funds to survive months without pay.

And many are unable to apply for unemployment as they are indie contractors...
I've been researching various factors around production studios and their economic impact on businesses and the areas they are in over the last month. Just getting info and data on the benefits the film and movie industry has on an area's economic growth. I came across this document...

It's pretty interesting and makes me think... if talent/industry workers are living paycheck to paycheck and are broke (the data from that 2021 report says that their salaries are 46% higher than national average and 36% higher than national average for production related jobs) then that tells me that the cost of living is too much where they live. I understand that California and NYC are the meccas for productions, but shyt... if you can't afford it you can't afford it.

Tyler Perry is in a great situation in ATL with his massive studio, makes even more sense to live and book your projects there now

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Who? and where? I think these are fair questions to ask. I'm not claiming they are all apart of this "Hollywood elite" obviously some are just regular working people but every regular working person in this country whether fair or unfair is expected to seek out and find employment.

It's easy to sit here and say "These executives are all pieces of shyt! pay the actors!" Of course... executives anywhere are pieces of shyt, greedy muthafukkas.

Actors/actresses, sorry to say, some of them don't sound like they are living in the real world. They aren't going to get the same sympathy as people who go out on strike because their mill is paying them minimum wage to work 12 hour shifts in the brutal heat etc.. etc..
Everyone in LA working a regular job is an actor :heh: From your fukking waiter, valet, receptionist, bullshyt office worker, low-end 'producer', uber driver is someone with a headshot and a reel. They're all working.

Of course general public won't have much sympathy for actors, there's people upset that UPS drivers are making too much and shouldn't strike, so people will have even less sympathy for actors. Unions, organized labor, strikes and protests have been so demonized in this country that people question striking to get AC in 100 degree weather, they'll have even less sympathy for some libtard, latte drinking, :wrist: Hollywood types.

That's why union is highlighting how little everyday actors make, while also having big stars show support because at the end of the day Americans are huge star fukkers :dame:

My argument is that a lot of people whether you want to believe it's fair or unfair, don't actually deserve more for what they are producing. My bench/role player comparison is not straight apples to apples but it's close. On the other side, the executives don't deserve to be making as much as they are making either but they are the "owners" and that's how capitalism works.

The U.S. entire capitalistic structure is broken.
That's the whole point of the strike :hubie:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

The union claims the corporation is infringing its freedom to picket — and endangering its members — by obstructing the public sidewalk immediately abutting the studio during an ongoing construction project. The move comes days after SAG-AFTRA, the exponentially larger actors’ union, announced its own strike against the AMPTP over its own contract as well as accompanying protests at studios. SAG filed a mirrored action with the agency as well.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Everyone in LA working a regular job is an actor :heh: From your fukking waiter, valet, receptionist, bullshyt office worker, low-end 'producer', uber driver is someone with a headshot and a reel. They're all working.

I'm not saying they don't, I asked the previous guy to name someone though because I doubt very much anyone we've heard of even if they are a small time "that guy" type of actor is cooking burgers in the back somewhere in between roles.

That's my point. My other point is that the public doesn't care. This negotiator really thinks they have leverage with this whole "studios are mistreating actors so people will boycott the studios..."

What world are they living in?

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup and same goes for Marvel. Disney shot themself in the foot with Disney plus. Since movie ticket prices are so high I’ll wait until it comes on Disney plus. And if they stop dropping the movies on Disney+ I’ll drop the service - :yeshrug:either way Disney lose money some way how the set up now

You know whats crazy. A lot of things i only hear on the coli and not in real life but “I’ll catch it on Disney+” i heard hundreds of times. They used to keep them flicks in the theaters for a minute then charge TNT cable whoever to show it first or sell it to netflix. Now if u have disney + u dont even need to buy the physical Media cause its on the service. They fumbled that badly trying to knock off Netflix

They created that lane so why not let them just eat? The greed of these execs is wild

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
send'em in
hero-image.fill.size_994x559.v1678673315.jpg

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I'm not saying they don't, I asked the previous guy to name someone though because I doubt very much anyone we've heard of even if they are a small time "that guy" type of actor is cooking burgers in the back somewhere in between roles.

That's my point. My other point is that the public doesn't care. This negotiator really thinks they have leverage with this whole "studios are mistreating actors so people will boycott the studios..."

What world are they living in?
SO i'm not going to actually name drop, cuz its weird(to me) But i know a few actors on shows posted about in the film room, have met a few others but wouldnt call them friends, but would say "hi" if we seent each other at some function (one of the chicks has a JBO thread in her name :mjlol:). i'll name the shows tho. Wack ass Teen Titans, Atlanta, Black Lightning, Snowfall, Hawkeye and some other shyt, recurring with speaking roles. I know the jobs they had WHILE on TV shows. One was the Closed caption transcriber for another show, one was a brand ambassador for some cookie company, another was doing personal training at a yoga studio, and some of them are the mufukka you hang up on trying to call to either collect a debt or get donations for politicians. These are people who you seent them on the street you'd be like "oh you such and such in Atlanta".

Jusayin :hubie:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Boots Riley on SAG doing the "indie waiver" thing. He makes a lot of sense. They making them indie movies.............that just gonna go to the studios/streamers anyway. Also, some of those indie films that got waivers have a budget of 40Ms apparently, seems like most ppl thought it only involved films with a budget of 1-2M getting waivers.
54a43414b8a29268f9b7c60aef629903.png

2c0431d7900fec47a11c352820cb7d14.png

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
SO i'm not going to actually name drop, cuz its weird(to me) But i know a few actors on shows posted about in the film room, have met a few others but wouldnt call them friends, but would say "hi" if we seent each other at some function (one of the chicks has a JBO thread in her name :mjlol:). i'll name the shows tho. Wack ass Teen Titans, Atlanta, Black Lightning, Snowfall, Hawkeye and some other shyt, recurring with speaking roles. I know the jobs they had WHILE on TV shows. One was the Closed caption transcriber for another show, one was a brand ambassador for some cookie company, another was doing personal training at a yoga studio, and some of them are the mufukka you hang up on trying to call to either collect a debt or get donations for politicians. These are people who you seent them on the street you'd be like "oh you such and such in Atlanta".

Jusayin :hubie:
LaKeith :ohhh: sorry to bother you was actually him really working :ohhh: