Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
No Netflix... You're supposed to be broke and losing money on every production.
Claiming poverty while boasting success is always comedy central to me. Banks do it all the time to their employees rank and file. JPMC reports record earnings for like 20 quarters in a row :mjgrin: but when it's time to get paid they claim that it's been a tough quarter, and there's only so much bonus comp to go around :mjcry: :feedme:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be honest, their movement more than likely got hijacked by some very out of touch academics and their demands show it.

I'd be pissed if I am out of work and facing foreclosure because some lunatic that runs the union wants actors and actresses to get increased stipends for lunch, intimacy coaches, and residuals for life for background extra work...The fact they have dozens of demands is ridiculous but hey, not my elephants, not my circus..
This happens every single time

See BLM for a recent example

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
In 2011 the NFLPA bought an insurance policy to cover players in case the owners cancelled the season due to a lockout. I don't know why more large unions like SAG don't do the same. SAG members clearly have the money to buy the policy and just like with the NFL owners, the studios would have the most to gain by negotiating.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eventually people are going to turn on tech companies. All the hatred people had at banks in 2008 is going to focus on tech in the future. All they're doing is going from sector to sector, industry to industry, upending business models through automation, making it cheaper for the consumer while killing the margins the industry once enjoyed (a race to the bottom). Silicon Valley is cool with it because they're only employing a handful of engineers vs. having to pay for a massive company/overhead. Basically...it's just a bunch of CEOs, vc firms & angel investors stripping every industry they can for big IPO paydays. Even for the consumer, while we get lower prices, eventually it's a problem because consumers have to work to somewhere too and if tech is automating multiple sectors, its gonna be harder and harder for those people to get higher paying jobs if the same trends are happening in multiple industries. People don't really give a shyt about actors because they're "perceived" as being rich even if they aren't. But when this A.I. shyt really pop off and puts millions out of work, it's a wrap.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
:gladbron:

Major studios have NO excuse now. This makes them look broke and cheap.

I’d imagine a key part of this are the streaming numbers. A24 doesn’t have a horse in that race so they don’t give a shyt. But Disney, Universal, Paramount, etc……do operate streaming services and the wrong deal could hurt their bottom line tremendously.

It’s not Apples to Apples.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I’d imagine a key part of this are the streaming numbers. A24 doesn’t have a horse in that race so they don’t give a shyt. But Disney, Universal, Paramount, etc……do operate streaming services and the wrong deal could hurt their bottom line tremendously.

It’s not Apples to Apples.
Meh. I'd be shocked if they telling the truth about those streaming numbers and how much it really cost them.

Like most labor disputes...I feel like if the government every got involved to the point that these studios had to actually prove their financial cost is what they say they are, they'd sign whatever the writers put in front of them.

Rule 1 of dealing with "a business". Dont ever believe what "a business" tells you about money. They only going to tell you what helps them financially.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Meh. I'd be shocked if they telling the truth about those streaming numbers and how much it really cost them.

Like most labor disputes...I feel like if the government every got involved to the point that these studios had to actually prove their financial cost is what they say they are, they'd sign whatever the writers put in front of them.

Rule 1 of dealing with "a business". Dont ever believe what "a business" tells you about money. They only going to tell you what helps them financially.

In this case it doesn’t matter what the actual numbers say as far as their current revenue. What matters is they are currently paying pennies for royalties, if it goes up to dollars it’s a huge deal for them even if it is still below rate.