Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I can't believe you have executives who make $40 million dollars a year who cry poverty it blows my mind.

The Discovery CEO who has shyt the bed since he walked in the door salary is indefensible

Actually he's done everything he was asked to do. They've already cut $9 billion in debt since he's been there. :manny:

Everyone hates Zaslav, that's true. But why make shyt up?

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
That's interesting and understandable but do they have too much pride to get another job? If you're only making $25K a year from acting it's time to get a second job.

Y’all nikkas was clowned Elvin for working in Trader Joes and Cosby Show wrapped up 30 years ago.

Also if you are doing the same amount of work that lead to good residual payments 10 years ago and all of a sudden you get that taken away from you, the answer isn’t to just get another job. It’s to strike and fix it.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Y’all nikkas was clowned Elvin for working in Trader Joes and Cosby Show wrapped up 30 years ago.

Also if you are doing the same amount of work that lead to good residual payments 10 years ago and all of a sudden you get that taken away from you, the answer isn’t to just get another job. It’s to strike and fix it.

I didn't say they shouldn't strike. But it sounds like some of these actors/actresses just want to be able to live that comfortable Hollywood lifestyle without having to do much for it. Acting is a grind. You have to audition and audition and have to be able to accept rejection.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I didn't say they shouldn't strike. But it sounds like some of these actors/actresses just want to be able to live that comfortable Hollywood lifestyle without having to do much for it. Acting is a grind. You have to audition and audition and have to be able to accept rejection.
Seriously how did you come to that conclusion after watching that video?

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

I haven’t seen that anywhere. Seems they just asking to be paid fairly with TRANSPARENCY.

If the same actor can be paid more for being an extra on a network tv show than being a main character on an extremely popular streaming show that’s a problem.

The residuals around streaming are 100% fukked which similarly is why Scarlett Johansson took Disney to court when they put Black Widow on D+.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Seriously how did you come to that conclusion after watching that video?

She said, "you could see me working on 3 shows with three guest appearances and think I'm doing well but I really probably didn't get up to $25K for it"

What am I supposed to do with that information? We understand that they need to make more than $25K to obtain health insurance. I understand that the residual game is all fukked up with streaming. They are on strike for a variety of reasons and they SHOULD be because producers and executives are fukking them at every turn.

But with that said, you tell a normal person "I worked 3 days out of the year and made $25K" what do you think the response is going to be? They have to grind and grind to get parts but the question is always going to be "what else are you doing for yourself"?

That is the question that is asked of 300 million Americans. "Why did you try?" And that's the question I'm asking working class actors. If you are only getting 2-3 roles a year, maybe acting isn't your thing.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

Who? and where? I think these are fair questions to ask. I'm not claiming they are all apart of this "Hollywood elite" obviously some are just regular working people but every regular working person in this country whether fair or unfair is expected to seek out and find employment.

It's easy to sit here and say "These executives are all pieces of shyt! pay the actors!" Of course... executives anywhere are pieces of shyt, greedy muthafukkas.

Actors/actresses, sorry to say, some of them don't sound like they are living in the real world. They aren't going to get the same sympathy as people who go out on strike because their mill is paying them minimum wage to work 12 hour shifts in the brutal heat etc.. etc..

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
This reminds me of one of these negotiations with players/owners where everyone is like "feel bad for the players, the owners are screwing them."

Yes, of course the owners are screwing them. But who is actually getting screwed? The people who are getting fukked over are the stars. LeBron James is getting fukked over. Why? Because he's the one that everyone pays to watch and he's the one who sells all the merch and jerseys, season tickets, TV revenue etc..

Was Brian Scalabrine getting fukked over makin a couple mill on the bench, never playing? No! He was overpaid. Nobody paid to watch him and he didn't do anything. What was his actual worth to the franchise? Zero.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Unfortunately, I don't see creatives beating out technology and business executives. With how fast gen AI is moving, this honestly is one of the worst times to strike because what's going to happen IMO. Now, these studios are going to be forced to create and dive into these tools to keep things pushing and make money/earn subscriptions. If anything produced pops off without traditional writers/actors involvement the use case that they're expendable gets even more attractive to the corporations.

Technology rarely loses... especially when it advances faster than regulation can curb it.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Considering some privileged Ivy League grads from upper class backgrounds usually run unions anyways

I expect this to be resolved with an extremely shytty concession shat out by the studios.

Everyone will go back to work, many of the workers will loss what they had due to the strike, and they will repeat this shyt again in a few months/years.

They aren’t even asking for that much. And that’s the problem.

US unions suck ass and have been infiltrated for over a century.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
This reminds me of one of these negotiations with players/owners where everyone is like "feel bad for the players, the owners are screwing them."

Yes, of course the owners are screwing them. But who is actually getting screwed? The people who are getting fukked over are the stars. LeBron James is getting fukked over. Why? Because he's the one that everyone pays to watch and he's the one who sells all the merch and jerseys, season tickets, TV revenue etc..

Was Brian Scalabrine getting fukked over makin a couple mill on the bench, never playing? No! He was overpaid. Nobody paid to watch him and he didn't do anything. What was his actual worth to the franchise? Zero.
Not sure what your argument even is breh. You want the union to have less people and the market to shrink? Every job has people that carry more weight than others so not sure what you want.