Wow. California black ADOS residents might be getting $223,200 per person in reparations.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Remember back when people were talking that wE dOn'T nEeD a StUdy bullshyt and backing Marianne Williamsons crazy ass? California just met the proposal she had for the entire damn country :mjtf:

I feel like Cali is showing more and more why people should back HR40 (and S1083) despite their weird tantrums

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
The cheapest 1 room apartment in cali right now would run u $2k a month

Not in places like Calexico, El Centro, or any of the Meth infested towns in the middle of nowhere.

Besides, the $2k a month investment will get you 100x more than that when you get paid your debt, so it’s worth it.

Peachstate

Lady
Daps
Reppin
The four-hundred thousand
By migration, which means it might not be many Black people in California that'll qualify because their ancestral roots did not begin in California but elsewhere.

If looking at it from a past and current/born and raised in California generational perspective possibly so, but from an ancestral perspective likely not.

It depends on what the basis and qualifications/disqualifications of what reps would be in California.
This is an interesting point. Cali was progressive compared to the south, but AAs still had to have whole ass civil rights movements to be allowed into the job market, to desegregate schools, and for fair housing. We always associate reparations with slavery, but if you ask me, we don't even have to go back that far. If you were in Cali in 1940, for example, you were likely disenfranchised and therefore should be entitled.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
By migration, which means it might not be many Black people in California that'll qualify because their ancestral roots did not begin in California but elsewhere.

If looking at it from a past and current/born and raised in California generational perspective possibly so, but from an ancestral perspective likely not.

It depends on what the basis and qualifications/disqualifications of what reps would be in California.
I would assume its those with a california birth certificate

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is an interesting point. Cali was progressive compared to the south, but AAs still had to have whole ass civil rights movements to be allowed into the job market, to desegregate schools, and for fair housing. We always associate reparations with slavery, but if you ask me, we don't even have to go back that far. If you were in Cali in 1940, for example, you were likely disenfranchised and therefore should be entitled.

I've talked about this numerous times.

The Case for Reparations

Yup. Reparations can be for slavery. But also for sharecropping. But also for Jim Crow. But also for redlining. But also for the daily discrimination that Black folk of all types face across the country every day.

I'm okay with reparations being solely for slavery or with reparations being for the entire Black experience in America. Whatever moves it forward and makes it happen. It's when folk make the distinctions in order to foster division and KEEP shyt from happening that I get ornery.

I definitely agree that foreign Black folk shouldn't qualify for anything like Affirmative Action. If the colleges want to do specific country-based programs to increase the # of skilled professionals in particular countries, that's fine. But Black non-Americans shouldn't be in the same pool as Black Americans in regards to these programs.

It seems like the obvious solution is that there are two different types of reparations. Reparations for slavery is one thing, and should go to descendants of slaves. Reparations for Jim Crow segregation and other discrimination since then is another thing, and should go to all black folk whose ancestors suffered from it.

Ta-Nehisi Coates talks about in depth how reparations is a constantly accumulating issue, not just a 150-year-old payback.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I've talked about this numerous times.

Ta-Nehisi Coates talks about in depth how reparations is a constantly accumulating issue, not just a 150-year-old payback.

I've contended for the last few years, it shouldn't be for slavery. From a legal standpoint, it's hard to argue. It should be for Jim Crow, segregation, redlining, and everything associated. The payout should be tied to the wealth gap between African Americans with lineage in the US pre-1965, and the payout should be related to the median cost to own a house, because that's primarily what white people have their wealth tied up in.

Most other public people advoacating for reparations have some nebulous claim with no real dollar amount attached. That's a sure fire way for it to: 1, never get approved, 2, be a perpetual grifting-ass personality profiteering off of the movement that will never occur.

Most people advocating for reparations never seem to have a number in mind, never communicate it, simply state whatever is provided is "not enough", or it's something so grandiose it'll never get approved.

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
30501448.gif

:hubie: