Worst examples of bro science you've experienced?

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I mean I don't want to look like I'm picking sides in this lil squat but holy shyt for a trainer to say you don't burn calories while you sleep in a bro science thread is fukking :mindblown: levels of irony.
It is crazy that he said that :heh:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
His range of motion on this "sit down" squat :skip: was about 8 inches. He isnt squating 405 below parallel breh.

miss the point of sit down squats (explosiveness off the bench)

lets see you do it :duck:

lets see you sit down, on a bench, with 405 lbs, then explode up :duck:

edit: and im not from this new school of "ass to grass" squats at all. Ive been lifting since 7th grade, im 28 now and really ive only started to see people go lower than that on squats in more recent years (really since crossfit got popular). so miss me with that shyt :manny:

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps
Actually the nugget of truth to the bold is that your habits outside of the gym are what ultimately contributes to weight/fat loss so you can actually see them. Plus on top of that through powerlifting people get some solid, well defined cores as well.

Yes I know that. That's not my point. A lot of people believe u can miss core/ab work outs because they think everyone has a six pack under all that fat. It's simply not true. Abs are muscles that need to be worked out.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Yes I know that. That's not my point. A lot of people believe u can miss core/ab work outs because they think everyone has a six pack under all that fat. It's simply not true. Abs are muscles that need to be worked out.
I was only responding to what you typed.

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps
Them at home work out heads gonna get heated over this one:

"If u eat small portions through out the day, it will increase your metabolism"

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Them at home work out heads gonna get heated over this one:

"If u eat small portions through out the day, it will increase your metabolism"
Almost as bad as eating 1 or 2 big meals a day stunting metabolism

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. Although bench press is the best upper body exercise, you can't do bench alone. You still need to do exercises that isolate the specific muscles to get gains. Plus although it is good for chest, biceps and triceps it does not target the back and barely effects the lats. You need to do a variety of exercises to increase gains and not plateau. Even if you only add dumbell presses you will start to see gains much faster.

2. Weightlifting is only cardio when done in a circuit i.e. going rapidly between machines with no break in between. Lifting weights for 30 seconds then sitting for 3 mins and repeating is not cardio.

3. Supplements are at best a placebo and at worst contain heavy metals which cannot be metabolized. Most of the ingredients are not from natural sources so your body just excretes it. Diet and exercise will always be the determining factor. Guys in jail get massive and their only "supplements" are peanut butter and tuna fish.

Nah dudes sneak gear into prison just fyi.

DatBoiHawk

HAWK
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Iono if it's considered Bro-science or just a flat out fukking lie....But those p90x transformation videos on youtube claiming they went from a fat slob to ripped up in 90 days :comeon:

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
miss the point of sit down squats (explosiveness off the bench)

lets see you do it :duck:

lets see you sit down, on a bench, with 405 lbs, then explode up :duck:

edit: and im not from this new school of "ass to grass" squats at all. Ive been lifting since 7th grade, im 28 now and really ive only started to see people go lower than that on squats in more recent years (really since crossfit got popular). so miss me with that shyt :manny:

Quarter squats or above parallel more stress on your tendons. Full ROM (ATG) squats take stress off the joints at let your hips, glutes etc. take more of the load.

You're getting the full benefit of the stretch reflex at the bottom by doing ATG. You don't have to touch your ass on the ground but usually parallel/below parallel is considered safer on the joints. And that's not bro science, either.

Edit: There is greater shear force on ATG but most studies show this doesn't translate to greater damage. Same with knee travel beyond your toes.