Working Out/Maintaining A Nice Body REALLY Requires A Strong Mental Attitude

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I have the attention span of a goldfish right now but I 1000% co-sign OP.

I used to find it frustrating but now comical at how people just don't get it...like they really can't comprehend why you take the time out to workout on a regular basis as though it's akin to doing taxes.

They find every excuse under the sun to not workout

People you know always talking about what they're going to do when they start working out with you but never do. Always some roundabout excuse about why they don't "do gyms" :heh:

You go out with some friends and they are all ":dwillhuh:" at you not eating bullshyt or they know damn well they want the cheesesteak, fries and coke but seeing you choose something better warrants some half-assed comment about deciding to eat healthier.

I'm not some adonis ass nikka (yet) nor am I proselytizing like I believe everyone should think like me, but think about your general well-being and choose to do this shyt for yourself (and essentially your loved ones) :daheart:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To piggy back of your post, how long do you think it takes to break a habit?
From what I read, 21-30 days of consistency.

From personal experience that shyt does seem to work... HOWEVER, if you fukk up and go back on the habit, it's doubly as hard to try and break it again, and you will usually pretty much slip right back into it as though you never broke it in the first place. This has seemed to be the case for me in my personal life, I assume it's different for everybody though.

The main habits I've broken recently have been nail biting, and I also changed my diet the end of last year. I lost about 35 pounds by April or May, but over the last couple of months I started eating junk food again and have gained about 15 back, and I'm finding it even tougher to break the eating habit now than it was before.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Been eating vegetarian 3 days a week. Never felt better :blessed:
Yea I put emphasis on protein only on lifting days, most other days I dont eat much meat and just do a protein shake so my protein intake isn't too low. People of West African descent dont need to put emphasis on high protein as our ancestral diets were mainly high carb and moderate protein (to accommodate the active lifestyle).

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
i've been working out 4 - 5x a week for the past 6 years. its literally my outlet and main hobby... if i don't work out, i physically and mentally feel off. that's helped for my work ethic... i personally don't understand how people DON'T go on a regular basis. if i'm not in the gym for a minimum of 3 days i begin feeling lethargic and my mind feels mentally clouded. it's like a literal feeling of intense scust at being sedentary... plus gains

gym = sanctuary. only real nikkas will understand. :wow:

setting a PR on a deadlift or bench will have you like :smugdraper: for the day

rule 1 of working out is do it for yourself and your own physical and mental progression. the fukk nikkas who crowd the gym who ain't about shyt will come and go. getting girls or compliments should be secondary to doing it for your well being and health.

Yessir:salute:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
It's really invigorating once you break through that barrier of always wanting junking food and you see your hard work and dedication start to pay off.

Exactly. Once you start to actually see the results for yourself is when skies the limit. Most people get discouraged too quickly and give up. This is where consistency and patience comes in. Once you KNOW that what you're doing at the gym and eating better is working is usually when it gets easier.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I can't control how much I eat:mjcry:

Yesterday I ate 5 pieces of pizza:mjcry:

I gained 20 pounds this semester:snoop:

How did u feel after u ate it? Im at a point now where i look at certain foods as the "enemy". I LOVE to eat but i love my health even more. Idk what to tellya. What do u want more? The food or your health and physique? You gaining 20lbs is a result of what you are putting in your body. Is it worth it?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Exactly. Once you start to actually see the results for yourself is when skies the limit. Most people get discouraged too quickly and give up. This is where consistency and patience comes in. Once you KNOW that what you're doing at the gym and eating better is working is usually when it gets easier.
yup takes about 4-6 months to see change, most ppl quit after 2-3 weeks lol

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, I can't even stress how beneficial weightlifting has been for me. I'm truly addicted to this shyt -- I start getting all salty if I miss a day, or even if I just have to wait an extra day to go to the gym. DONT FUKK WITH MY ROUTINE:martin:

To start, I've had to damn near lift by myself since I started hitting the gym. So there was a lot to overcome in the first year. Reading about all these routines, trying to get the forms down, and then figuring out which workouts were actually beneficial? :shaq2:

Developing a personal routine unique to your experiences AND seeing gains?:leon:

That initial fear of lifting by yourself, no spot, hoping you don't drop the weights or snap your shyt.:damn:

Comfortably picking up weights because you're confident in yourself.:banderas:

Being weak or flabby at first.:flabbynsick:

Feeling great as your health improves and you begin noticing those gains in the mirror.:ooh:

Not to mention the girls start shooting more smiles your way. And its mostly other people who notice your change before you. I'm out here thinking I'm still the smallest dude in the gym, but other people telling me otherwise.:blessed:

Its great brehs. I'm just glad I fell in love with it as much as I did, cause I know its a chore for other people. I legit just can't miss days, that exhaustion after working out is the only way I fall asleep feeling good any more.:mjcry:

You undastand.:blessed: Im addicted too and love it:blessed:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
You don't know how to use paint? :mjlol:

I've been working out for years. If people want to burn fat, just limit the portions and eat between 2-8 PM (preferably eating dinner at around 5-6 PM), then don't eat until 2 PM the next day, whilst working out right when you wake up in the morning. There's other stuff to it, but I ain't on here giving advice like that.

I remember weighing 210lbs, and after 3 months dropped down to 155lbs. Built up a lot of lean muscle via strength training over the next 3 years, and went up to 180. Was a bit more muscular than I wanted to be, so I stopped weight training, now I am 165lbs and I maintain this weight through my vegetarian diet, bodyweight exercises, and running/rock-climbing, camping, basically outdoor activities.

I don't really go to gyms to weight lift anymore. That is boring and kind of backwards in my opinion. But to each his own.
How tall are you breh? Here on the Coli anybody under 200 is a little nikka :skip:
Plus that's a big swing 210 to 155

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
Yea I put emphasis on protein only on lifting days, most other days I dont eat much meat and just do a protein shake so my protein intake isn't too low. People of West African descent dont need to put emphasis on high protein as our ancestral diets were mainly high carb and moderate protein (to accommodate the active lifestyle).
What kind of protien shakes you drink?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Its just part of my day at this point, like eating or going to work

Exactly. It has to become a normal part of your everyday routine. Even if it takes sacrificing other things to fit it in. Everybody has jobs. Everybody has school. Everybody has kids. You have to MAKE time. I see people all the time out at running trails pushing their kids in those strollers while jogging. At one point i was waking up at 3am to go jog in order to get my workout in for the day before work. Its all about how bad you want it

Moshe.

All Star
Daps
How tall are you breh? Here on the Coli anybody under 200 is a little nikka :skip:
Plus that's a big swing 210 to 155

I created a regimen for myself and stuck with it. Besides I wanted to change how I ate anyway, so it was good for me to do that.

As for my height, I am 5'10''.