WNBA Legend Sheryl Swoopes has been hating on PAWG superstar Caitlin Clarke for some reason

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
The hatred over this chick is really making a lot of people look stupid. A few months ago the argument was that she can't be ROTY because her team wasn't contending whereas Reese's was. Now her squad has a higher seed than Reese's team and nobody talks about that anymore, funny.

I think it's obvious that there's an angry, bitter segment of the fanbase AND players who won't admit they're wrong. I don't think this is a black woman problem though. Think about NBA narratives when Larry Bird and Magic entered the league. Imagine being some hardened vet enforcer back then being told that a couple rookies were saving the league you helped build. You'd be mad too. Or think what the NHL went through in the 90s when certain players and play styles got phased out. The old guard is always going to be bitter. At some point you gotta take the L. And that starts with acknowledging that rookie of the year isn't tied. Clark is clearly better than Reese, who plays like Kwame Brown.
In what way does Angel play like Kwame brown y’all do the same thing to Angel that yall are crying about Sheryl doing to Caitlin

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
they dominated AND won. They weren't just along for the ride. They led those clubs.
And that's cool. But when your entire team (starting and on the bench) is full of WNBA or Euro league-caliber players, it kind of makes it less impressive than seeing a girl lead her team to that same stage while beating 2 powerhouses damn near solo. I mean, CC had, what, 3 players of that caliber on her team for her entire 4 years at Iowa?

I don't think there are many WNBA legends that could have even pulled that off.

So I guess A’ja just gonna fall of a cliff breh :mjlol:
Clark is 6 years younger than her, breh:skip:. You don't think that a 2-guard that's a 3pt sniper and terrific passer can at least steal 1-2 MVPs off her before she turns 28? Never mind the fact that A'Ja would be 34 by that time, so Clark would have 6-10 years to rack up the accolades.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
In what way does Angel play like Kwame brown y’all do the same thing to Angel that yall are crying about Sheryl doing to Caitlin
She plays more like a young Rodman if he cared about scoring. Has a handle, great at running the break, all-time rebounder, versatile defender that is already near DPOY-caliber, willing passer.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reese don't mind the coverage truth be told, especially now (I think LSU she struggled with shyt when it got real)

but yeah this is just wild. I do feel bad for some of the players who are legitimately better than her who for whatever reason get dismissed. The only boxes A'Ja Wilson doesn't check off is that she's not short and white, yet "women's basketball fans" talk about her like she has every negative aspect of Tim Duncan. Caitlin and Angel bring something different which not even the NBA has: an actual rivalry, albeit between two players. For as much as Clark props up the ratings and views and the discussion, those same fans can't find much else they like about the sport and that's concerning. That's the next step in the growth of the sport and Swoopes be in her feelings too much to spearhead that part of the discussion.

Overall coverage? Yes, but the criticism is largely unwarranted for a rookie.

I'll put it this way....Reese was the 7th pick in the draft. The 3rd pick, Cardoso, plays her position is plays on the same team (rare situation). And Reese is clearly a better player than Cardoso. However, Reese gets way way way way way more criticism for having a bad game than Cardoso ever will. Do you realize how weird this is? I mean forreal stop and think about how weird this is....

This would be like a Football team drafting 2 WRs in the first round, and the 3rd overall pick playing worse, having no pressure... and then middle of the round pick having a group of people who shyt on him every single game he plays no matter what. Its weird, cuz the fanbase is weird.

Everything else you said I fully agree, I just had to give my two cents on the first sentence.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

You're right, she's worse. Worse post game, smaller hands, also not good at basketball. I'm sorry I can't respect a professional baller who can't even hit a decent percentage of layups and put backs.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
And that's cool. But when your entire team (starting and on the bench) is full of WNBA or Euro league-caliber players, it kind of makes it less impressive than seeing a girl lead her team to that same stage while beating 2 powerhouses damn near solo. I mean, CC had, what, 3 players of that caliber on her team for her entire 4 years at Iowa?

I don't think there are many WNBA legends that could have even pulled that off.

Clark is 6 years younger than her, breh:skip:. You don't think that a 2-guard that's a 3pt sniper and terrific passer can at least steal 1-2 MVPs off her before she turns 28? Never mind the fact that A'Ja would be 34 by that time, so Clark would have 6-10 years to rack up the accolades.
No lmao A’ja literally has gotten better each year and her game will age gracefully as for Caitlin more and more guards will come in doing what she does such as Paige juju that hick from South Carolina etc

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
what part of this equation. does A'ja not fit into?

In other words, what else does she have to do to draw?
She came half a decade before the Caitlin Clark effect. There was less coverage, less media interest, less attendance and less social media engagement. Most people are just hearing about A’ja now because media outlets covering Clark don’t want to seem biased and unprofessional. It’s the young up and coming players with hype that will benefit the most from the Caitlin Clark effect