"Why would anybody play this?"Sony's Jim Ryan comment on backwards compatibility

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
When I was a kid and a new system dropped. It was time to go to Funcoland to trade in everything from last gen. I never looked back ever. The last time I played my PS3 was Walking Dead Season 2. And I regret that cuz I could have waited for the PS4 version.

It's too much new shyt for me to go back to old shyt

I am a different poster because my fingers would of been trembling with a response but you got that.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Explain that stat Fatbo1 posted breh.
obviously the main draw is always gonna be new shyt, but that doesn't mean that BC isn't a nice option to have. these companies are always pushing concepts like 'brand loyalty', and 'investing in their ecosystem', and BC would only bolster these concepts

now obviously there's a lot of technical reason that makes BC for older titles difficult. but I think moving forward it is gonna be an expected feature

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why double dip for a game i already own just for updated graphics and extra features/dlc? And to be honest, I understand what he is saying but the gamer should have a choice.
Well all jokes aside, upgraded graphics/extra features/DLC IS the reason why someone would double dip for a remaster.
Like, you didn't cop Halo CE Remake on Xbox 360? Or the Gears UE or Halo MCC on XB1??
Often, remasters come out for games where they want to see if the money is still there. Usually there's a vocal minority that talks a lot but then in the end no one supports it so a remaster is there for that. I think going forward PS4 BC should be number 1 on PS5 as that BC will help fill in the gap for the typical launch lull.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
The mental gymnastics on this goddamn forum :mjlol:
Explain Arstechnica's stats then. That was written by a well groomed White Male btw. :sas1:

So wait... That article that @Fatboi1 was actually a good counter regarding people's support for BC.

HOWEVER, it leaves a big question mark considering they fail to take a look at what percentage of single player games are played and what percentage of those gamers play single player games.

Considering we know that the majority of Xbox players love the system specifically because of the features and track record of their multiplayer network hub, there is no surprise that the overhwleming majority of games would be mulitplayer games.

Considering the multiplayer ecosystem of many backwards compatible game are limited or non-existent because of a shut down of support, the multiplayer base of X live will not move.

What I'd like to see - the statistical breakdown of what percent of the time spent playing single player experiences are the backwards compatible games contributing to.

I've downloaded Read Dead, 2 Dead Space games, Borderlands, Street Fighter IV, Limbo, Star Wars Unleashed, Gears of War 1, State of Decay, Xcom 1, Bully, Sleeping Dogs, and Tekken Tag 2.

Most of those games are single player experiences, and when my crew isn't on or if I'm feeling the single player itch, I actually firing up those games.

This article that was posted if FILLED with sarcasm and clear shots at Xbox on some school boy shyt... Not saying the counter argument isn't credible, but it's definitely not telling the whole picture.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So wait... That article that @Fatboi1 was actually a good counter regarding people's support for BC.

HOWEVER, it leaves a big question mark considering they fail to take a look at what percentage of single player games are played and what percentage of those gamers play single player games.

Considering we know that the majority of Xbox players love the system specifically because of the features and track record of their multiplayer network hub, there is no surprise that the overhwleming majority of games would be mulitplayer games.

Considering the multiplayer ecosystem of many backwards compatible game are limited or non-existent because of a shut down of support, the multiplayer base of X live will not move.

What I'd like to see - the statistical breakdown of what percent of the time spent playing single player experiences are the backwards compatible games contributing to.

I've downloaded Read Dead, 2 Dead Space games, Borderlands, Street Fighter IV, Limbo, Star Wars Unleashed, Gears of War 1, State of Decay, Xcom 1, Bully, Sleeping Dogs, and Tekken Tag 2.

Most of those games are single player experiences, and when my crew isn't on or if I'm feeling the single player itch, I actually firing up those games.

This article that was posted if FILLED with sarcasm and clear shots at Xbox on some school boy shyt... Not saying the counter argument isn't credible, but it's definitely not telling the whole picture.
----------------------------------------------------
It is based on data from Xbox Live (see the linked original piece for more details), but it does capture single-player usage from the vast majority of users who sign in to Xbox Live automatically when they turn on the system.

While there could be _some_ skew from totally offline users using back compat more often, it would have to be extremely large to make BC use anything significant. Plus our number broadly line up with the numbers from Microsoft I mentioned above, so I'm pretty confident in them.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No love for backward compatibility
The second-most surprising high-level result from our Xbox usage sample is just how unpopular Xbox 360 backward compatibility is in actual practice (Fig. 1). Playing games from the previous console accounts for under two percent of total Xbox One usage in our sample. For context, that means the hundreds of backward compatible Xbox 360 games combine to represent less than half of the play time that a game like Grand Theft Auto V manages on its own.

The backward compatibility usage numbers are so low that we almost doubted the reliability of our data (which shows Xbox 360 games played on the Xbox One separately from those played on actual Xbox 360 in the API). Digging in, though, we show at least some active play time for almost all of the 300+ backward compatible games that were supported through February.

Keep in mind, too, that Microsoft said in late 2015 that Xbox One users had spent nine million hours playing Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One in its first month or so of availability. That may sound like a big number, but it averages out to just a few minutes of playtime for each of the tens of millions of Xbox One owners out there (in our sample, Xbox Live users on Xbox One averaged about 23.9 minutes with backward compatible games over 4.5 months). Despite the warm reception backward compatibility gets from vocal gamers, it looks like a feature that Xbox One owners like having more than they like using, in the end.

On the Xbox 360 side, we can see that Microsoft’s early experiment with downloadable games through Xbox Live Arcade making a very modest impression on recent gameplay activity. Games available only as downloads account for a paltry 2.3 percent of continued play time in our usage sample. Looking at overall ownership (Fig. 3), XBLA games make up about 15.6 percent of all game sales on the system, well under the 30.6 percent of distinct titles represented by the downloadable storefront. That’s not nothing, but it suggests games available at retail were (and are) driving the vast bulk of interest in the Xbox 360.

*ignant post*

Just as I thought, it's a feature some folks love to tout but it's really negligible especially years later. Most of the best games of last gen has been remastered already.

We have stats and math on our side while stans like @PS4 and @____ have emotions and longings. :umad:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
@Fatboi1 @Cladyclad

In that same article though, the writer says this...

Xbox Live users with fewer friends are less likely to be added to our database, for instance, and users with literally zero friends have no chance of being sampled unless they were part of the initial XboxLiveScore list. All things considered, though, we feel like our Gamertag list has grown large enough to generate a somewhat representative sample of all Xbox Live users.
-----------
Unfortunately, a large number of offline Xbox users simply cannot be reached using this Xbox Live-based sampling method. Any Xbox owners that never connect to Microsoft’s online service don’t even have a Gamertag that could show up in our sample. That probably means online multiplayer games are a bit overrepresented in our sample, while strictly single-player games might be undercounted.

And also
uncomfortable using our data to directly extrapolate total sales or usage numbers for the entire Xbox playerbase. The numbers and ratios presented in this report should only be considered representative, sampled estimates of the online portion of the Xbox community, which could be significantly different from the total community of Xbox owners. You can try to multiply out our percentages by reported hardware sales numbers if you want, but we wouldn’t stand behind that extrapolation.

Essentially, they are indicating that there are still serious gaps in their data and ironically, the gaps would shed further light on the type of gamers who would be a proper and accurate representation of gamers with higher single player gaming.

Not only that, but the bottom quote specifically says that if a person is attempting to make a broad statement as proof of a premise with the use of this data... The writer or data collector WOULD NOT stand by and cosign.

They indicate that the data, which has holes, should not be used as a marker for the total Xbox base because, as they admit, the data could be drastically different.

xTHOTS

EXPOSED!!!

By the use of flawed data, Breh?

If anything, what damage would it do to the Sony networks bottom line by allowing BC?

Has he taken into consideration that considering many people believe Sony's exclusives have been better for so long that many Xbox owners would jump ship from Xbox if they had the opportunity to purchase old PS games that they've missed out on?

------

Sidenote:
Considering the "exposal", have we actually gotten data like this or even from the PS4 coli brehs about what percent of PS4 players actually play exclusives and complete the games?

I've heard debate about the shelf life of PS4's exclusives and I don't know if it's ever been looked into.

:feedme:

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
@Fatboi1 @Cladyclad

In that same article though, the writer says this...

And also

Essentially, they are indicating that there are still serious gaps in their data and ironically, the gaps would shed further light on the type of gamers who would be a proper and accurate representation of gamers with higher single player gaming.

Not only that, but the bottom quote specifically says that if a person is attempting to make a broad statement as proof of a premise with the use of this data... The writer or data collector WOULD NOT stand by and cosign.

They indicate that the data, which has holes, should not be used as a marker for the total Xbox base because, as they admit, the data could be drastically different.

By the use of flawed data, Breh?

If anything, what damage would it do to the Sony networks bottom line by allowing BC?

Has he taken into consideration that considering many people believe Sony's exclusives have been better for so long that many Xbox owners would jump ship from Xbox if they had the opportunity to purchase old PS games that they've missed out on?

------

Sidenote:
Considering the "exposal", have we actually gotten data like this or even from the PS4 coli brehs about what percent of PS4 players actually play exclusives and complete the games?

I've heard debate about the shelf life of PS4's exclusives and I don't know if it's ever been looked into.

:feedme:
So it's 5% instead 1.5%:troll:

But real talk MS said it was 100million hours spent in 8 months. PS4 do 600 million a week

Xbox One Users Have Spent Over 100 Million Hours Playing Backwards Compatible Games, Microsoft Says « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
So it's 5% instead 1.5%:troll:

But real talk MS said it was 100million hours spent in 8 months. PS4 do 600 million a week
PS4 does that because, as we know, there are more PS4 owners.

I've already indicated the article was somewhat compelling but it far from closes the door on the topic of BC viability.