"Why would anybody play this?"Sony's Jim Ryan comment on backwards compatibility

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Personally my guess is that you can build up loyalty easier with backwards compatibility. If your launch titles are lacking in any way, people can still use their PS5 to play PS4 games. I know I'm more likely to be an early adopter for PS5 if I know that I can buy PS4 games as well.

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
Ignore the fact that he's right brehs.

As an OG PS3 owner I loved having the backwards compatibility option. With that said, I never ever used it.

100 percent of the time I tried playing an older game on it, I never finished it. Never, not once.

So while there might be some that take advantage of backwards compatibility and play a lot of older games, most gamers simply do not.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Raise your hand if you want your PS4 to play old games too

Sony savaged Microsoft when the pair announced PS4 and Xbox One details. Not only was the latter, still Kinect-packed, more expensive, but it required an online connection and couldn't even play used games. At E3 2013, Sony ethered Microsoft with this "used game instructional video." The Xbox One still hasn't quite recovered.

But at E3 2015, Microsoft did have some response, albeit reminiscent of when you think of the perfect thing you could've said to the jerk who took your parking spot after you've already driven home: the Xbox One would play some Xbox 360 games. Which ones? Here's a list.

Sony had always supported backward compatibility in its consoles until it stripped the feature away in later PS3 models. The PS4 notably launched unable to play older games and Sony has since taken to selling PS2 games through the PlayStation Network for those who want to buy games they own, again.

Speaking to Time, Sony's head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan offered the following:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Ryan is, again, the head of global sales and marketing for Sony, a company that will happily take your $10 to play God Hand on PS4, saying the games they are still selling to you for money "look ancient" and wondering why any dumb idiot would be stupid enough to play that garbage. Hmm.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
I don't know where to start with this fukkery...:snoop:

Firstly, the retro movement has been well and alive since the PSN market....FF7,8, and 9 are always the top sellers in the RPG genre.

Square has been banking on retro feeling games since...well since every new console after PS1. I am Setsuna was a solid release and the masses want a sequel.

Then there's a big giant Pikachu in the room...Pokemon. Which is the purest definition of retro, yet it continues to sell like hot cakes. I mean just look at society today...a goddamn fidget spinner is trending...a toy from the early 90's.

Honestly they need to get rid of these old tards in the suits and hire some teens who have their ear to the pulse. Morons like this don't need to flourish.