"Why would anybody play this?"Sony's Jim Ryan comment on backwards compatibility

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
PS4 does that because, as we know, there are more PS4 owners.

I've already indicated the article was somewhat compelling but it far from closes the door on the topic of BC viability.
100 million hours in 8 months is on avg 23 minutes for every Xbox user with a estimated 25 million X1's sold. And that's not a day a, a week or even a month. That's the lifetime avg users that use the service. The only people who use it are the hardcore forum posters,console war, & I don't got no money gamers.:mjlol:

Last edited:

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
It's certain games that I want to play no matter how shytty it looks or how dated the physics are. Bully, Saints Row 1 & 2, and San Andreas are those games. I play Bully from time to time on my Xbox One and Saints Row on my 360 from time to time. I have a type and that type hasn't been fulfilled with the generation of consoles.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
100 million hours in 8 months is on avg 23 minutes for every Xbox user with a estimated 25 million X1's sold. And that's not a day a, a week or even a month. That's the lifetime avg users that use the service. The only people who use it are the hardcore forum posters,console war, & I don't got no money gamers.:mjlol:
It's stupid to break it down per user.

You could do that with almost any game or feature and get similar numbers.

PSVR probably doing worse when you break it down that way :comeon:

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
It's stupid to break it down per user.

You could do that with almost any game or feature and get similar numbers.

PSVR probably doing worse when you break it down that way :comeon:
U can it's a million PSVR owners that have a attach rate of 5 games. Without any numbers I can safely bet the people that bought it has used it more than 23 minutes in its lifetime :troll:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
U can it's a million PSVR owners that have a attach rate of 5 games. Without any numbers I can safely bet the people that bought it has used it more than 23 minutes in its lifetime :troll:
Not just the people that bought it. You'd have to extrapolate that number to all of the ~50million PS4 users :ufdup:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Fatboi1 @Cladyclad

In that same article though, the writer says this...

And also

Essentially, they are indicating that there are still serious gaps in their data and ironically, the gaps would shed further light on the type of gamers who would be a proper and accurate representation of gamers with higher single player gaming.

Not only that, but the bottom quote specifically says that if a person is attempting to make a broad statement as proof of a premise with the use of this data... The writer or data collector WOULD NOT stand by and cosign.

They indicate that the data, which has holes, should not be used as a marker for the total Xbox base because, as they admit, the data could be drastically different.

By the use of flawed data, Breh?

If anything, what damage would it do to the Sony networks bottom line by allowing BC?

Has he taken into consideration that considering many people believe Sony's exclusives have been better for so long that many Xbox owners would jump ship from Xbox if they had the opportunity to purchase old PS games that they've missed out on?

------

Sidenote:
Considering the "exposal", have we actually gotten data like this or even from the PS4 coli brehs about what percent of PS4 players actually play exclusives and complete the games?

I've heard debate about the shelf life of PS4's exclusives and I don't know if it's ever been looked into.

:feedme:

I think people need to put this into perspective and leave the anecdotes and personal feelings out of this. I think there's some cats championing BC without any idea of what it means in the grand scheme of all things.

My take?

It's Pro consumer to include BC. It's a great gesture I've always said it's wack how Sony didn't include at least PS2/PS1 BC for the PS4. I've made threads on it so I have receipts for the "Oh you're co-siging everything Sony says/does." accusation.

Now does this matter, 3 years later?? The XB1 didn't launch with that. BC is one of those things that everyone wants that most folks don't use. It's not a selling point 3 years down the line to be gung ho on.
In real world metrics, did this move consoles?? No. This didn't do anything noteworthy.

No one is happy or glad Sony doesn't have PS3 or native PS2/PS1 BC on the PS4. I repeat, NO ONE IS HAPPY ABOUT THAT. A lot of cats on here think because I or some others say we don't really care means we're happy that it's not there. No, it's just not important as new games right now. It's not moving units and as a business, I'm sure Sony sees the numbers and thinks it isn't something worth investing into right now several years down the line. Will it matter at launch of say PS5? Probably. No new games, low install base. yeah sure come on bring it. We're literally in the midst of game after game coming out in rapid succession and folks complaining of backlogs but folks got time to skip new games and play old shyt? It ain't like they not making new games or anything because that's oh so clearly not the case.

Also, please.. Folks need to stop using BO2 and RDR as some sort of "proof" that it matters big time. BO2 is a frigging outlier! I already know there was some cats going "OH BUT RDR SALES WENT UP 6000%!!"

Uhhh Noo that's not what it meant.
People who didn't understand the data surely were the first to post screencaps of Amazon like @____ though I'm sure he'll ignore this and simply retort with "You're pathetic" or w/e :mjlol:

It could've came out remastered at $59.99 and still did numbers in a slow month. Trying to attach the popularity of a popular COD game to widespread BC popularity is disingenuous. Until more and more games are charting and moving systems then it's insufficient to think so no matter how you or the clerk at Gamestop feels.

TL:DR

It's a great feature and pro consumer; it doesn't move units and isn't something that actually did that for XB1 and it most likely isn't feasible right now at this point in time and lastly BO2 is an outlier.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
So an older game that is great, that you missed, you don't wanna play, even if it's free or dirt cheap. Just so you can play a newer game that may not be as good?

:laff:

And that is why you don't enjoy gaming outside of your comfort zone which is "whatever game the world recommends ai the time" aka you don't think for yourself.

Why go back and watch Goodfellas when you could watch Belly 2 :francis:
i think what people are saying, is no game is that great, that you actually starving to play it. would you play it if you had it or some shyt, sure.. but are you going to go buy it off amazon when better games are out? probably not

example... GTA 5 was about to come out and i had it preordered... i was getting tired and wanted to play another GTA, so what did i do.... go back and buy the best one of the series, san andreas

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.... i've played a total of 10 missions and never played that shyt again.. the clunky controls, shytty graphics, everything about it was terrible.

went on ps now when they had the free trial... all the names had me going crazy.. oh shyt i remember this, damn this was my game, oh i always wanted to play this.

game after game was a let down. why? cause when it was the newest technology, you didn't know no better... now going backwards, hell nah.. i got a n64, ps1, xbox 360... they collect dust.. because the best games get remastered and the ones that don't, i can't play for 15 minutes before i'm like fukk this shyt

and the same shyt with movies... some are timeless... like goodfellas and more.. but i went back to watch a lot of "classics"... i mean at least 40-50 films in the past year that were deemed classics that i'd never seen.. most were dated as fukk, terrible acting and effects, and shytty overall

once again, when you didn't know better, i bet they were great.. but watching dog day afternoon and shyt like that in 2017 is janky as fukk, even in HD

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
i think what people are saying, is no game is that great, that you actually starving to play it. would you play it if you had it or some shyt, sure.. but are you going to go buy it off amazon when better games are out? probably not

example... GTA 5 was about to come out and i had it preordered... i was getting tired and wanted to play another GTA, so what did i do.... go back and buy the best one of the series, san andreas

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.... i've played a total of 10 missions and never played that shyt again.. the clunky controls, shytty graphics, everything about it was terrible.

went on ps now when they had the free trial... all the names had me going crazy.. oh shyt i remember this, damn this was my game, oh i always wanted to play this.

game after game was a let down. why? cause when it was the newest technology, you didn't know no better... now going backwards, hell nah.. i got a n64, ps1, xbox 360... they collect dust.. because the best games get remastered and the ones that don't, i can't play for 15 minutes before i'm like fukk this shyt

and the same shyt with movies... some are timeless... like goodfellas and more.. but i went back to watch a lot of "classics"... i mean at least 40-50 films in the past year that were deemed classics that i'd never seen.. most were dated as fukk, terrible acting and effects, and shytty overall

once again, when you didn't know better, i bet they were great.. but watching dog day afternoon and shyt like that in 2017 is janky as fukk, even in HD
You cannot compare retro gaming to last gen games :stop:

You'd be more upset with gaming overall if you only indulged in the AAA games because most of them are just prettier versions of last gens hits. My lady never played gears of war before. We played thru the first 3games (she did gears 2 dolo) now we playing gears 4 together. She was about to buy witcher 3, I told her to ease up and try witcher 2 first. She was hooked. Put her on to mass effect, but I only had pt.2 She was about to start playing that. I had to stop that. No need to rush into the pinnacle :mjpls:

And the indie games have been the real stars of this gen, but it's not marketed that way so you wouldn't know. My point is a game is a game is a game. Now when people buy games they can get the entire series for free. It's a great idea and I'm sorry your system of choice can't do it.

Sucks to be yooooooooou :win:

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
I call bullspit on the "minutes per user" stat. Obviously, you have millions of gamers who only play new shyt online. They probably never touch BC stuff. You also have gamers who prefer single player experience, who probably play more BC stuff. The minutes per user stat ignores the latter group. There's more people who don't care about BC than those who do care, yes. But those who do care probably play a lot of older shyt.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You cannot compare retro gaming to last gen games :stop:

You'd be more upset with gaming overall if you only indulged in the AAA games because most of them are just prettier versions of last gens hits. My lady never played gears of war before. We played thru the first 3games (she did gears 2 dolo) now we playing gears 4 together. She was about to buy witcher 3, I told her to ease up and try witcher 2 first. She was hooked. Put her on to mass effect, but I only had pt.2 She was about to start playing that. I had to stop that. No need to rush into the pinnacle :mjpls:

And the indie games have been the real stars of this gen, but it's not marketed that way so you wouldn't know. My point is a game is a game is a game. Now when people buy games they can get the entire series for free. It's a great idea and I'm sorry your system of choice can't do it.

Sucks to be yooooooooou :win:
This would all make sense if I didn't already say I have and play these old games and they fukking suck

Don't come in here telling me what your non gamer girlfriend is doing. I'm sorry, you forced her to do cause she wanted to play current gen and you talking about nah play this first.

I have the old systems. I have the new systems. I have the old games. I have the new games.

Them shyts is dated as fukk and gets no play in this ride

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Old games I would like to play on PlayStation 4 (tell me if some are already available in PSN store to buy digitally please):

Uncharted series
Metal Gear Solid series
Ninja Gaiden Sigma series
Bayonetta
Devil May Cry series
God of War series
Tenchu series
Killzone series
Resistance series
Bushido Blade series
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Zone of the Enders series
Bionic Commando series
Jax and Dexter or whatever that shyts called series
Ratchet and Clank series
Starhawk

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
obviously the main draw is always gonna be new shyt, but that doesn't mean that BC isn't a nice option to have. these companies are always pushing concepts like 'brand loyalty', and 'investing in their ecosystem', and BC would only bolster these concepts

now obviously there's a lot of technical reason that makes BC for older titles difficult. but I think moving forward it is gonna be an expected feature

Its a nice option to have (for a very small amount of people) but Sony don't have unlimited time and resources to pour into everything. They have to pick and choose, and when you look at the stats, you have to ask why they would bother investing in something the vast majority of gamers just don't care about.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Its a nice option to have (for a very small amount of people) but Sony don't have unlimited time and resources to pour into everything. They have to pick and choose, and when you look at the stats, you have to ask why they would bother investing in something the vast majority of gamers just don't care about.
apparently they thought it was worth investing in PSNow. why would anybody play that?