Why Was TLOU2 Hated?

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
I read my fair share of arrogant ass statements on this and other gaming forums but this one is particularly full of hubris.
I don't really care. I'm tired of gamers not appreciating certain things in this medium. And writing a game off completely because their fav character died. Its shallow and stumps growth/creativity of the medium because devs now will always choose to play it safe because backlash.

Its an undeniably fantastic product. Even if for some reason you don't like the story.

The presentation, gameplay, animation, tech, performances, intensity of combat, graphics, feel of weapons, hit reaction, AI, etc, etc are all world class. If you cant appreciate them you are a problem to the medium.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
They video game avatar Joel got that double birdie hit off his dome and incels and neckeards took it personal

Legend has it that neckbeards beards legit fell off at the sight of that scenes, large clumps of hair in carpets all over america

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Game is dope af but there are plenty of issues, like just trying to make the game too much like a movie. The boring ending at the farm house. Or the zoo visit. I don't wanna do any of that, I wanna play the damn game. Abby might be buff but at least she took some dikk, that was a surprising scene. Lmao

The lesbian shyt was too prominent and that I would guess where a lot of the hate comes from. Joel is killed off so early you kind just forget it happened.

But if you always wanted a violent and brutal R rated video game without the cartoonish shyt this game should be for you.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
the last of us 1 is much better than the sequel imo
as a game it's amazing
as a story it sucks
this is the general vibe I'm getting from the replies and videos people have linked. and I still don't get how people can call it a bad game.

like I come from the sega genesis, playstation 1 & 2 era. I played BAD games. we used to dream of games that looked and played like this. and now things have advanced so far that we're extremely pedantic about our complaints and say that a sequel that looks and plays better than the original is somehow worse.

like I think MGS4 was a complete disappointment for me story-wise. it did a lot of stupid shyt and lowkey ruined the franchise in that regard imo. but I would never say it's a bad game because the gameplay was definitely better than any installment before it and I had fun playing it

I kinda feel people gassed TLOU1 too. I actually put off playing the whole game for years cause it felt so boring to me at first. like a slower less fun uncharted. finally finished it and thought it was good. maybe it would've had more impact if I beat it back in 2013, idk

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
@kingofnyc youve been summoned to the Arcadiam

:russ:

the game was terrible - They went from producing a game which everybody said the storyline was on par with a typical top tier all-time classic sci-fi movie in which I kinda agree to a point … only to make a part 2 & throw out ALL the realism & tremendous plot-line to the 1st one

You are a solid poster so salute you :salute:

I just don’t understand why 2 black men assuming that you are a black man can’t have a simple disagreement about a particular topic nor a game neverless

StackUp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I don't really care. I'm tired of gamers not appreciating certain things in this medium. And writing a game off completely because their fav character died. Its shallow and stumps growth/creativity of the medium because devs now will always choose to play it safe because backlash.

Its an undeniably fantastic product. Even if for some reason you don't like the story.

The presentation, gameplay, animation, tech, performances, intensity of combat, graphics, feel of weapons, hit reaction, AI, etc, etc are all world class. If you cant appreciate them you are a problem to the medium.

i think it's more so about how they egregiously butchered the story and two beloved characters.. not necessarily the gameplay

@kingofnyc pretty much summed it up perfectly
"the game was terrible - They went from producing a game which everybody said the storyline was on par with a typical top tier all-time classic sci-fi movie in which I kinda agree to a point … only to make a part 2 & throw out ALL the realism & tremendous plot-line to the 1st one"

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Game was absolute fire overall.
Story was great but definitely had pacing issues.
They laid on the lesbian love story pretty heavily which wasn't everybody's cup of tea. I wasn't a fan of it personally but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game and story overall anywhere near as much as the pacing issues did.
The high points of the game greatly outshine any low points.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
just finally went through TLOU1 & 2 for the first time. sorry if this been debated 1000 times but the search engine on this site is terrible

I caught some of the online commentary at the time and it seemed like part 2 was just despised. after playing both I thought 2 was pretty much better in every way. combat is very fun and when you're in the flow of things you feel like the predator. graphics were incredible, I played it on PS5 and it didn't feel like a last gen game at all

were the complaints all about the story? why did people care so much about joel getting killed? there was really nothing left for him to do and at the end of the day he was just a regular guy

I did think some of the abby story felt superfluous, I get they wanted to show the humanity of your enemy but some of her shyt dragged for me. I thought the writing and dialogue was strong tho. so much goes unsaid. ellie never even finds out joel killed abby's father. people in real life don't shout out their motivations before doing something either. plus the open-endedness of the ending. the game shows you things rather than tells you outright and that kind of writing is rare in games

so was this game just hated for goofy cac outrage reasons or were there valid criticisms about it?

My opinion on why this game was terrible and should’ve never been made is quite different from most others

my reasoning is because this game premise is Abby’s revenge

Abby‘s father the surgeon had absolutely positively no right to experiment where he was going to have to take the life of Ellie a 14 year old girl at the time : so the minute that Joel stepped into the operating room telling everybody to back off , Abby‘s father should’ve complied and let Joel take Ellie away & let her decide if she wanted to give her life/brain for the potential cure 4 years later when she became 18 aka an adult … for those who don’t quite remember that ending scene as Joel walks into the room … Abbys so-called dark skin Indian looking father is the one who grabs the knife and threatens to stab Joel. LMAO. in which Joel has no other decision to do what he did

so, going back to my original point of this nonsense of the premise being Abby’s revenge

because Joel did not kill Abby’s father
Abby’s father killed his cotdamn self

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
My opinion on why this game was terrible and should’ve never been made is quite different from most others

my reasoning is because this game premise is Abby’s revenge

Abby‘s father the surgeon had absolutely positively no right to experiment where he was going to have to take the life of Ellie a 14 year old girl at the time : so the minute that Joel stepped into the operating room telling everybody to back off , Abby‘s father should’ve complied and let Joel take Ellie away & let her decide if she wanted to give her life/brain for the potential cure 4 years later when she became 18 aka an adult … for those who don’t quite remember that ending scene as Joel walks into the room … Abbys so-called dark skin Indian looking father is the one who grabs the knife and threatens to stab Joel. LMAO. in which Joel has no other decision to do what he did

so, going back to my original point of this nonsense of the premise being Abby’s revenge

because Joel did not kill Abby’s father
Abby’s father killed his cotdamn self

I mean I hear you but idk man, you think the whole game is terrible cause of that? abby aint even see nothing but her father dead on the ground and the name of the person who did it. I don't think the game really tries to tell you who has a "right" for revenge or not either. it just presents situations and lets you decide the morality. that's what makes it interesting imo

I kinda feel like people critique this game like it was a film. are stories in most games really good enough where we can say a whole game isn't good just because of certain plot points? most games I beat I can't even tell you wtf happened story-wise (e.g. every halo game)

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
I didn't know it was hated. I liked it but it's a game I can only play once; since it's such a suspense-based game, the excitement goes away after the 1st play. Same as RDR2.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
these basement dwelling neckbeards think they are the directors of the game,
The developers are the directors and its their story, and the story is the world of TLOU is unforgiving, dark, and cruel
So Joel had to die, get over it, he aint winning any video game character awards he aint that deep

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
I mean I hear you but idk man, you think the whole game is terrible cause of that? abby aint even see nothing but her father dead on the ground and the name of the person who did it. I don't think the game really tries to tell you who has a "right" for revenge or not either. it just presents situations and lets you decide the morality. that's what makes it interesting imo

I kinda feel like people critique this game like it was a film. are stories in most games really good enough where we can say a whole game isn't good just because of certain plot points? most games I beat I can't even tell you wtf happened story-wise (e.g. every halo game)

absolutely, the story is terrible based off Abby traveling across the country with a bunch of friends to kill a man that saved a 14 year old
she’s a grown ass woman she should’ve understood what her father attempted to do “take a child life without any consent”

as far critiquing the game as a motion picture, well that was due to the 1st one
like i previous said, Naughty Dog made TLOU based off realism/reality & then made TLOU2 based stupidity/fukk shyt
like *how is it possible in the TLOU Joel spends the whole entire game distancing himself from newcomers being combative and putting up a shield while the first few minutes of this new game he crossed paths with a bunch of strangers… greets them with open arms , tells them his name, his brothers name and inviting them back to the compound for cheese & crackers … if this wasn’t the most ridiculous piece of shyt writing i’ve ever seen …

TLOU - In game time spanned was well over a year with Joel teaching Ellie all all types of defense mechanisms to survive in this post apocalyptic world was the beauty of bonding between a father/daughter relationship, and for them to throw that aspect out within a few minutes of part 2 … pretty much defeats the purpose of part 1 - even the latest Matrix storyline was more believable then TLOU2
what a shyt show

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I think the Joel death upset people more than anything especially since it’s a possibility they’ll make a third one. But this isn’t uncommon in video game series people get attached to certain characters and there will be blowback if you remove/replace them haphazardly or without good execution.

the same thing happened with Street Fighter 3 back in the day people were upset that besides Ryu and Ken none of the other world warriors from SF2 didn’t make the roster in the 1st iteration of that series. And they tried to make Alex the new poster boy for the franchise.

The Joel death set them back like when Negan killed Glen on TWD.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
these basement dwelling neckbeards think they are the directors of the game,
The developers are the directors and its their story, and the story is the world of TLOU is unforgiving, dark, and cruel
So Joel had to die, get over it, he aint winning any video game character awards he aint that deep

Developers are free to tell the story they want and people are free to like or dislike it. Its not a one way relationship. Same concept works with that ME3 story debacle.

Last edited: