Why Was TLOU2 Hated?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
TLOU2 felt like a discussion that transcended gaming. Even people who don’t care about games were watching playthroughs and discussing it. It was pop culturally huge and i dont see another game having that same effect anytime soon.

Naughty Dog whether you dislike them or love them are kind of in a league of their own in terms of storytelling. No other game has had people ready to fight and formed entire hate groups around it

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I feel like most of the decisions they made regarding the plot and story structure were defensible. it is interesting going through both games for the first time one after another vs. playing the first one and waiting years for the sequel. I actually liked how anyone could be killed at any time and no one was sacred, but I get how hardcore fans of the first one would feel differently

I agree with the last point tho, actually ellie and abby both should've been killed like 5 times over but they squeak by because their captors suddenly turn stupid

With me, I don't go into a game with any reservations about what should be done. I don't really do the preview thing anymore because I want to go into a game as fresh as possible. So basically, I see a game, check out the premise. If I can rock with it, combined with past pedigree, then I'm in usually. It is the game developer's story to tell. It's then on me to determine if I like it or not. As a game, just sheer gameplay, the set pieces and such are great. Above average handling of the weapons, etc.. However, my thing is this, tell me a story but don't make it so out of whack or superfluous that I'm going to want to poke holes in the logic of it. I can do futuristic, whimsical, redeeming characters. However, when we doing 'white girl fall in movie' esque things in games, that's where I get the :stopitslime: like with the multiple captors or Tommy and Joel using their real names around Abby, etc.. Above all, pacing. To this day, Resident Evil 4 is the best paced game ever. To me, it jumps around too much. TLOU1 had great pacing. It never overstayed its welcome.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
TLOU2 pros
Gameplay is Naughty Dog's best of the uncharted/tlou franchises.
Top tier graphics.
Great writing.
As far as a game with polish, I don't know if there is one that goes beyond this to this point.

TLOU2 cons
Game drags at multiple points of the game.
A lot of people end up hating the characters.
As a game and a premise, the second game wasn't needed. TLOU1 wrapped a nice bow on the entire experience.
Naughty Dog's continued tonedeafness toward depictions of minorities, especially black people.

As a game, TLOU2 > TLOU1. As an experience, TLOU1> TLOU2.
Perfect breakdown. Some of those non action flashbacks should have been deleted or made into cut scenes. Rubbing around the aquarium on a date was cringe af. So much useless walking around

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
At some point I just stopped and thought why the fukk am I playing this. shyt was BORING.

Felt like I was playing a whole season of AMC's Walking Dead

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Some people read the leaks before the game was released, and already had their mind made up they were going to hate the game based off of what they had read. The funny thing is, some of the leaks where wrong and didn`t tell the whole story of the game.

This clown was one of the main ones. Watch the first vid (start @ 8:30), then some of the 2nd vid. All he did was jump on the hate bandwagon. And sometimes people just want to complain or be mad about something. That is his thing though so:

6\10 ...He gave Halo Infinite a higher score recently:heh:

He was also mad ND didn`t send him a review copy lol. His livestreams of him playing the game was literally him and his two other friends trying their hardest to hate on everything the game had to offer.
I remember there was one part where he was like (paraphrasing) "I see what you`re doing ND, trying to make us like Abby, it`s not going to work", and the part you fight Ellie he purposely got Abby killed and said it was the end.
Weird behavior imo. But yeah like i said, i feel like some of those who hate it (present tense because they still hate on it to this day) had their minds made up already before they played or finished the game. It became the popular thing to do.

Also TLOU2 hate videos were doing some #`s on YouTube at the time. And the Joel death (the way he died i guess) literally...Breh, LITERALLY killed the rest of the game for some people. Couldn`t be me. I like to see how things play out before i`m down on a game only two hours in.

I watched Chris Smooth, who I think has valid argument with some games, play through the Last of Us 1 and 2. He didn't like 2. Terrible plot

Veteran
Daps
tumblr_nexxbcsOyh1qzcmp3o3_250.gifv

I really hope Ragnarok does something equally as subversive

This is fanboy bias right here.

It wasn't brilliant at all. The entire premise of the plot was terrible. How many revenge plots have we had in games and movies? Several. The ending was atrocious.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Goofy gamers who are insecure few into a rage that their tough guy idol and surrogate father figure got touched. For the most part that was it.

I think the other big issues were as follows:

1. Total marketing fakeout. People were predicting since the first teaser dropped YEARS AGO that ellie would be avenging Joel. But all the marketing trailers and such leading to release showed him as part of the game. That shyt was totally different upon playing.

2. They shoehorned in some major characters for the second using major events of the first game. I don't think we were led to believe that the doctor you killed was humanity's only hope in the original. That role was clearly placed with ellie as the source of the cure. The med staff were just firefly npcs who were disposable. To hinge the entire sequel on this seemed to come out of left field.

Either way. I enjoyed the game and the work they put in to it. Its not the GOAT videogame story though

Veteran
Daps
Loads of people didn't like Joel dying so early and brutally. They also didn't like he was taken out by a woman. They also didn't like that said woman was buff and unattractive. They also didn't like that you had to play as that woman.

It really was an alt-right, gamergate chud feast, and they milked it for what it's worth. I don't think these guys are going to get another payday that easy any time soon.

IMO It was an easy GOTY for me. It took huge risks and I thought by the end it payed off extremely well. Seeing Ellie from another (an enemy) perspective was :whew:. You realize how scary and dangerous she is.

What identity politics? lol

Your post automatically becomes invalid when you place all opinions in one category.:francis:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
My only complaint with the story was the fact that the cure almost became irrelevant to the story. That's what I need answers on... Are there other people like Elle who are immune? The story just pushes the cure aspect of Last of Us and focues on revenge for Last of Us II.

But overall, the gameplay was fun af! And if I'm being honest here, the way Abbie played was straight heat!!!
the immune thing was weird. I felt like that should be the biggest news ever for whoever found out. they kinda write it off by saying that the doctor joel killed was the only one who could've made the cure. like really :gucci:

The cure part of the story was tossed aside for sure. And I guess it could be a bigger plot plot in a potential 3rd game (not sure if ND would want to do another one, but money talks sometimes).

Still, TLO2 heavily implied that finding a cure wouldn't have mattered because humanity is too far gone and they would've fukked it all up in a very violent way :heh:

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the Joel death upset people more than anything especially since it’s a possibility they’ll make a third one. But this isn’t uncommon in video game series people get attached to certain characters and there will be blowback if you remove/replace them haphazardly or without good execution.

the same thing happened with Street Fighter 3 back in the day people were upset that besides Ryu and Ken none of the other world warriors from SF2 didn’t make the roster in the 1st iteration of that series. And they tried to make Alex the new poster boy for the franchise.

Facts, damn near killed the Street Fighter Franchise too. Good thing 3rd strike turned out to be good