Why Was TLOU2 Hated?

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
TLOU 2 an open world game :mjlol::mjlol:
done with yall:what:

so that’s the only point you feel isn’t true? I thought you said “none of it” was. So debunk the whole list muthafukka?

To be fair, that Seattle part did have a “open world” feel to it. Maybe not full blown GTA shyt but it did have that element to it so stop. It wasn’t straight up linear like the first one.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
While the TLOU2 for me was a good, but not better game than TLOU, I totally respect the effort by ND. Killing Joel is the right move to do as franchises are so afraid of taking characters that are loved, and killing them; example being the Chewbacca and 3CPO fake out in that last Star Wars movie.

Especially during a Post-Apoc or War movie.

When you create stuff, you create a story YOU want to tell to the buyers. You don't cave in to their wants, or their weird ass fantasies. Alot of times stuff that is fukking hated in the first place, ends up being "Actually in retrospect it's actually cool."; case in point being John Carpenter's THE THING; it came out just after E.T. which was all happy, where THE THING was bleak and nihilistic, and critics fukking hated it.

Now 40 years later, no one gives a fukk about E.T., as no one really remembers the story, while people have viewed THE THING is groundbreaking and borrow from it for their own stories to tell.

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
so that’s the only point you feel isn’t true? I thought you said “none of it” was. So debunk the whole list muthafukka?

To be fair, that Seattle part did have a “open world” feel to it. Maybe not full blown GTA shyt but it did have that element to it so stop. It wasn’t straight up linear like the first one.
literally every single thing he said was either untrue, or went over his head. its one of the worst posts ive seen on Arcadium, def the worst of the year so far.

white savior complex?? the white guy whos the main character of the series dies in the first couple hours a brutal death... then the rest of the game is literally cac on cac violence :mjlol:

The originial TLOU ending wasn't retconned, they added more details to it that were untold in the original.. yall just throwing words around now. it was factually not retconned.

"Changing a beloved character into something that makes absolutely no sense" You mean giving a character .... character development? You expected Ellie to stay the fukking same for 5 years? the hell?

"They deviated so far from what his character was in the first one" - No they did not. He learned to trust people, he saw a youg girl running for help from infected ad helped her - let his guard down, slipped up, it could happen. THIS shyt HAPPENS IN LITERALLY EVERY zombie movie ever and yall never say shyt.

"Using LGBT+ as a shield for sorry writing" just absolute bullshyt....

I could go on. too much. literally everything he said was wrong. a terrible post. this game goes over all yall heads. just wow.

Oh and it has the GOAT combat, animations, presentation, production values, etc.

Last edited:

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
One of the greatest games ever made, if Joel wasn’t killed there wouldn’t have been any controversy.

Brandwin

Pro
Daps
My only issue with the game was the pacing. It dragged in some parts and was a little too long. Other than that,’it was top notch in plenty other categories.

I can’t wait for the multiplayer, TLoU remake, TLoU 2 PS5 and the show.

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
The game is fantastic, but the game needed a couple of rewrites to nail the landing of the story is main problem. It tries to be Spec Ops the Line, but completely lacks the nuances and weight of it.

When looking back at it now... It possibly borrowed too much from Spec Ops Meta storytelling too a degree that it comes off as a copy cat inside of a revenge story.

Character logic can be downright awful where in the 1st game was so much grounded in survivalism. At times Last of Us becomes Walking Dead where characters made decisions to push a narrative than an organic decision.

Which brings me back to Spec Ops The Line... Everything felt organic with how the story was woven. Last of Us had amazing ideas for it's narrative, but the execution was simple poor and felt just forced. Structure of the narrative and pacing was terrible

It needed a rewrite and possibly a consultant to balance out Neil narrative decisions.

8/10 game. Fantastic gameplay. Disappointing story that had all these brilliant ideas, but couldn't convey it or execute it properly.

facts

the real answer is that its real polarizing because people insert their own politics into the story and masquerade it behind the high/low points to claim its either the best game of all time or the worst

joels death and abby's story werent the series killing plotlines that people who disliked the gender or racial story beats try to pretend like it is

the reciprocal revenge story isnt the psychological masterpiece that folk who ride for naughty dog and sony exclusives like to claim that it is

it was a very fun game with an ambitious story that didnt execute every plot point as successfully as it could have; it was a great step for storytelling in videogames and a good look for the medium, but there are clear wrinkles in the pacing that people either exacerbate or sweep over depending on whether they want to like the direction or not

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
That whole last portion of the game when you decide to leave the farm and go back out to find Abby could have been left out. I just sat there thinking “I know damn well she not about to leave her slice of happiness to go back out into that bullshyt” yet there she went. I just shook my damn head.

It’s just too many instances of characters kicking themselves in the nuts and making their life a shyt ton worse to overlook.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That whole last portion of the game when you decide to leave the farm and go back out to find Abby could have been left out. I just sat there thinking “I know damn well she not about to leave her slice of happiness to go back out into that bullshyt” yet there she went. I just shook my damn head.

It’s just too many instances of characters kicking themselves in the nuts and making their life a shyt ton worse to overlook.

Thats like the underlying theme of the entire game

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
While the TLOU2 for me was a good, but not better game than TLOU, I totally respect the effort by ND. Killing Joel is the right move to do as franchises are so afraid of taking characters that are loved, and killing them; example being the Chewbacca and 3CPO fake out in that last Star Wars movie.

Especially during a Post-Apoc or War movie.

When you create stuff, you create a story YOU want to tell to the buyers. You don't cave in to their wants, or their weird ass fantasies. Alot of times stuff that is fukking hated in the first place, ends up being "Actually in retrospect it's actually cool."; case in point being John Carpenter's THE THING; it came out just after E.T. which was all happy, where THE THING was bleak and nihilistic, and critics fukking hated it.

Now 40 years later, no one gives a fukk about E.T., as no one really remembers the story, while people have viewed THE THING is groundbreaking and borrow from it for their own stories to tell.
what are you talking about breh????

taker597

Superstar
Daps
facts

the real answer is that its real polarizing because people insert their own politics into the story and masquerade it behind the high/low points to claim its either the best game of all time or the worst

joels death and abby's story werent the series killing plotlines that people who disliked the gender or racial story beats try to pretend like it is

the reciprocal revenge story isnt the psychological masterpiece that folk who ride for naughty dog and sony exclusives like to claim that it is

it was a very fun game with an ambitious story that didnt execute every plot point as successfully as it could have; it was a great step for storytelling in videogames and a good look for the medium, but there are clear wrinkles in the pacing that people either exacerbate or sweep over depending on whether they want to like the direction or not
Pretty much how I feel.

The deal that's made about this game is pretty annoying. It's either the worst or the greatest thing.

I still have GOW above this and that's perfectly fine in regards to PS4 exclusive with Ghost as a distance 3rd. They are all 3 fantastic game, because the story and writing puts it over the top for me personally. God of War edges out as a tiny favorite over Last of Us 2. Yet, LoU2 completely blasts GOW in moment to moment world building storytelling and the realism in non narrative moments. It's pretty top shelf. The cowering and beg for their life hits, man.

The LoU2 also goes into my least favorite subgenre in zombie narrative. Nonstop bandit drama shyt. Mainly because the way the 1st game has this really deep ground idealogy on survivalism and realism rule. It subverted so many expectations on zombie apocalypse on what would really happen and how it interwoven that drama and realism so well. The whole cure plot being twisted into an almost certain albatross for Joel and Ellie to certain death. It was a way for the fireflies to gain power over society. They was killing innocent, immune people to make an impossible(and useless) cure at all cost with no means distribute or the infrastructure to make a cure accessible. Even a cure doesn't stop the clickers from straight up killing you. You had to really pay attention to the little details to get that. Joel made a human decision to perserve her life.

This is the level of brilliance in the subtle writing that was missing in the sequel. Sequel you just straight up murder a pregnant woman and it becomes very upfront and blunt with its themes. Maybe they could of Re-Cut and change the pacing of the game where that was more of a shocking reveal. So, it resonate stronger. It didn't resonate that well... Unlike the White Phosphorus scene in Spec Ops the Line. The shock and surprise of murdering all those innocent people. Yet, the story wasn't finished or clear of what's going on.. LoU2 try to do this narrative style of showing its cards in the 1st half of the experience. This works magnificently in shorter games, because it's fresh. It runs really dry for me quickly.

You do a lot of heinous shyt and it doesn't really hit the right note, because it was mad abundantly clear in its message. I guess could blame some really dull characterization, but I think a lot of is the game's narrative structure might of been better going a nonlinear approach. Then, having a b side game that is all linear and things play out as it did in the original cut. Pull a Resident Evil 2 and saved that heavy hitter consequences in 2nd b side campaign.

I wish I could tinker LoU2 editing and move stuff around while removing probably a few hour so. It would probably be beloved.

LoU2 biggest fault is being too long and running into diminished returns more quantity and less quality when it comes writing.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I didn't care for how the game tried to make you care about Joel's killer are her people. fukk all of them.

Game was too long and at that time I was being forced to play as Abby so I stopped.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Gameplay is great, story is too woke for its own good. They literally kill of a character that needed more closure, and instead of giving us a Rick or Daryl (Walking Dead), we got a Carl. Cringey/forced sex scene as well as final boss. Beyond that, I enjoyed playing it, but, it was like playing MGS2, I was really hoping I was gonna play as someone else at some point.