Why Was TLOU2 Hated?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Killing Joel then making you play as the killer was not a great move.

tumblr_nexxbcsOyh1qzcmp3o3_250.gifv

I really hope Ragnarok does something equally as subversive

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
just finally went through TLOU1 & 2 for the first time. sorry if this been debated 1000 times but the search engine on this site is terrible

I caught some of the online commentary at the me and it seemed like part 2 was just despised. after playing both I thought 2 was pretty much better in every way. combat is very fun and when you're in the flow of things you feel like the predator. graphics were incredible, I played it on PS5 and it didn't feel like a last gen game at all

were the complaints all about the story? why did people care so much about joel getting killed? there was really nothing left for him to do and at the end of the day he was just a regular guy

I did think some of the abby story felt superfluous, I get they wanted to show the humanity of your enemy but some of her shyt dragged for me. I thought the writing and dialogue was strong tho. so much goes unsaid. ellie never even finds out joel killed abby's father. people in real life don't shout out their motivations before doing something either. plus the open-endedness of the ending. the game shows you things rather than tells you outright and that kind of writing is rare in games

so was this game just hated for goofy cac outrage reasons or were there valid criticisms about it?
This nikka really wrote an essay just to ask the most obvious question...you find out 30 min into the game why it was hated...but I think you knew that :stopitslime: this place falling off

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
This nikka really wrote an essay just to ask the most obvious question...you find out 30 min into the game why it was hated...but I think you knew that :stopitslime: this place falling off
nikkas talkin bout writing essays on a messageboard :mjlol:

I'm late to the party and wanted to know if there were reasons people hated it besides what I mentioned. I also actually want to know how people on this board felt about it. if this convo don't interest you you can gone head sir

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Simple, they hated it because of what happened to Joel in the opening hours of the game then you were forced to play as Abby.

That's the only reason. They couldn't say nothing about the gameplay because it had better gameplay than part 1.

I dont care for TLOU simply because I don't fukk with zombie games. Same reason I dont fukk with Days Gone. Sony got something right by rejecting a sequel :mjgrin:
You should play resident evil 2 remake...friend :shaq:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Because gamers have shyt taste, are immature, and think the medium has peaked with shyt like Ghosts of Tsushima.

Cant appreciate artists trying to elevate the medium of gaming.

The people who hate it are impressed by basic, generic, do nothing for the medium, piss poor writing games like Ghosts of Tsushima. Simply because its safe.

If you dont like TLOU 2, you simply have low standards.
:dahell: You played it 5 times?

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I never cared for Joel, I never cared that I had to use Ellie, actually preferred it because she is the most important character in the franchise. Never cared that you used Abby. Never really minded that we used Abby. Damn sure don't give a damn about the dogs. There were points in the game where there were literally perfect spots that should have been the end. Like when Ellie leaves to go after Abby one last time. That wasn't needed. She should have had closure with Dina and her baby. Ellie's campaign is top notch, Abby's is a few tiers below. In all honesty, the game's timeline should have been told in a linear fashion and not as flashbacks. By the time we got to Abby, most of us already had a decision made on her because we just got done investing 10+ hours on Ellie, building her up to the point that she can move like Sam Fisher and we know that Joel was killed by Abby. Had this been done in a linear fashion, we would have come to see Abby as more human that we come to see her in the game. By the time we use her, she's is already blinded by vengeance plus its like the game starts over again with a wack ass pistol. Ellie spends the first half of the game just mowing down the WLF and then Abby's side is trying to humanize them. That is weird plot structure. Characters that carried over from TLOU1 and their deaths were basically shock value deaths. No real thought put into them as they didn't impact the story in any meaningful way. TLOU2, in many ways, plays like Naughty Dog forgot why the first one was so beloved. It culminated into Joel making a moral decision that affected all of mankind, even with fukked up choices like killing Marlene at the end of the game. The theme of revenge is present in the air the entire time in TLOU2 and they are just empty vessels, slaughtering everything in their path. Not to mention, TLOU1 set up the greatest thing for Ellie to see, the trade for her continuing to live life was the oppressive world that she found herself in. At no point in time, does it ever hit Ellie like 'yo, my death for the cure could have stopped all of this'. The plot and how things were presented were just messy and has holes. Like, Abby got captured at two different times but no one put a bullet in her head because they didn't recognize how dangerous she was?

I believe Joel's death was a necessary vehicle to move TLOU2 forward, I just don't agree with when or how it was presented in the game. I absolutely adored the first one (I've shown my mancave many times so if you've seen the pics, you know that Ellie and Joel hang on a canvas in the very room I'm typing all of this in) so that is why I pushed through the second one. I left the first one satisfied. I left the second one unsatisfied.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I think a bunch of beta ass dudes were mad they couldn't play as Joel and then had to play as a second female character that killed Joel. It's sort of like the bait and switch when MGS2 came out and everyone wanted to play as Snake again but then they introduced Raiden instead as the playable character.

The only thing I wish they did was they should've intertwined Ellie & Abby's story more as opposed to playing as Ellie for all of Seattle and then re-playing it in Abby's POV. I also wasn't a fan of the ending with Ellie's choice, but it was still a great game.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
I never cared for Joel, I never cared that I had to use Ellie, actually preferred it because she is the most important character in the franchise. Never cared that you used Abby. Never really minded that we used Abby. Damn sure don't give a damn about the dogs. There were points in the game where there were literally perfect spots that should have been the end. Like when Ellie leaves to go after Abby one last time. That wasn't needed. She should have had closure with Dina and her baby. Ellie's campaign is top notch, Abby's is a few tiers below. In all honesty, the game's timeline should have been told in a linear fashion and not as flashbacks. By the time we got to Abby, most of us already had a decision made on her because we just got done investing 10+ hours on Ellie, building her up to the point that she can move like Sam Fisher and we know that Joel was killed by Abby. Had this been done in a linear fashion, we would have come to see Abby as more human that we come to see her in the game. By the time we use her, she's is already blinded by vengeance plus its like the game starts over again with a wack ass pistol. Ellie spends the first half of the game just mowing down the WLF and then Abby's side is trying to humanize them. That is weird plot structure. Characters that carried over from TLOU1 and their deaths were basically shock value deaths. No real thought put into them as they didn't impact the story in any meaningful way. TLOU2, in many ways, plays like Naughty Dog forgot why the first one was so beloved. It culminated into Joel making a moral decision that affected all of mankind, even with fukked up choices like killing Marlene at the end of the game. The theme of revenge is present in the air the entire time in TLOU2 and they are just empty vessels, slaughtering everything in their path. Not to mention, TLOU1 set up the greatest thing for Ellie to see, the trade for her continuing to live life was the oppressive world that she found herself in. At no point in time, does it ever hit Ellie like 'yo, my death for the cure could have stopped all of this'. The plot and how things were presented were just messy and has holes. Like, Abby got captured at two different times but no one put a bullet in her head because they didn't recognize how dangerous she was?

I believe Joel's death was a necessary vehicle to move TLOU2 forward, I just don't agree with when or how it was presented in the game. I absolutely adored the first one (I've shown my mancave many times so if you've seen the pics, you know that Ellie and Joel hang on a canvas in the very room I'm typing all of this in) so that is why I pushed through the second one. I left the first one satisfied. I left the second one unsatisfied.
I feel like most of the decisions they made regarding the plot and story structure were defensible. it is interesting going through both games for the first time one after another vs. playing the first one and waiting years for the sequel. I actually liked how anyone could be killed at any time and no one was sacred, but I get how hardcore fans of the first one would feel differently

I agree with the last point tho, actually ellie and abby both should've been killed like 5 times over but they squeak by because their captors suddenly turn stupid

Daps
Reppin
NULL
My only complaint with the story was the fact that the cure almost became irrelevant to the story. That's what I need answers on... Are there other people like Elle who are immune? The story just pushes the cure aspect of Last of Us and focues on revenge for Last of Us II.

But overall, the gameplay was fun af! And if I'm being honest here, the way Abbie played was straight heat!!!

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
My only complaint with the story was the fact that the cure almost became irrelevant to the story. That's what I need answers on... Are there other people like Elle who are immune? The story just pushes the cure aspect of Last of Us and focues on revenge for Last of Us II.

But overall, the gameplay was fun af! And if I'm being honest here, the way Abbie played was straight heat!!!
the immune thing was weird. I felt like that should be the biggest news ever for whoever found out. they kinda write it off by saying that the doctor joel killed was the only one who could've made the cure. like really :gucci:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
the immune thing was weird. I felt like that should be the biggest news ever for whoever found out. they kinda write it off by saying that the doctor joel killed was the only one who could've made the cure. like really :gucci:
Not only that, but no one killing the doctors in the first TLOU would have ever dreamed that descision would have came back to haunt Joel . I think there were better ways to tie in Joel's questionable past catching up to him.