Why VR will fail.....

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Huh?? How will it split the userbase?? It's not like the next Uncharted or w/e will come out and only work with VR. I'm suspecting games will work with VR support as opposed to outright VR only and even then those games would be most likely labelled and advertised as a VR game so there should be no confusion. Also PS4 can have support for VR for things other than games. There are movie and sport apps on the PS4 that can easily support VR if they want to.

It's going to fail on PS4 breh, let it go, I know you ride for Sony but when has a peripheral ever worked out? Let alone one that's probably going to cost as much as the system itself.

The game has to be designed with VR in mind, you can't just take UC4 and hope it works on VR. The games need to run at 90fps, it's not about just enabling them to work with VR, you need the horsepower to push the game to 90fps or else you run into issues with motion sickness. All of the games showcased for the PSVR were far less graphics heavy and were designed with the headset in mind.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
the Wii came out 10 years ago. do you not think they've made advances in the tech since then?

getting the controls/controllers right is something they've been working on. they know they need very accurate tracking in order for the tech to work right
Yeah I know, but I've watched lots of demos and the controls still seem to be a rough point.

They are good enough for slower paced explorational stuff. But anything that's gonna need accuracy and responsiveness is gonna suffer.

Last edited:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
If you are bringing the world to life then your natural inclination would be to reach out and touch stuff. If you are sitting in a cockpit in a mech, you'd want to reach out and touch the buttons/levers as opposed to just hiting buttons on a controller.

Obviously this isn't a game breaker, but I think it's one of the challenges that have to be solved before VR will be adopted by the masses.

Sitting and looking at a 2D screen is far more immersion breaking, being placed into a world will blow peoples minds off jump. Yeah not seeing your own hands is a problem, but we're not at the stage when full body suits and treadmills are realistic. This is the first time VR will be available at a consumer level for an affordable price, it simply will not fail, especially since the first testing ground for it is PC :yeshrug:

The headsets will get smaller, there's already talk of wireless headsets and they will come down in price.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's going to fail on PS4 breh, let it go, I know you ride for Sony but when has a peripheral ever worked out? Let alone one that's probably going to cost as much as the system itself.

The game has to be designed with VR in mind, you can't just take UC4 and hope it works on VR. The games need to run at 90fps, it's not about just enabling them to work with VR, you need the horsepower to push the game to 90fps or else you run into issues with motion sickness. All of the games showcased for the PSVR were far less graphics heavy and were designed with the headset in mind.
That's exactly what's happening. UC4 is not getting VR support and that's great. No need to tack it on for something unproven.
What i'm saying is you're assuming is VR on PS4 has have some sort of AAA experience to justify having one. Like Witcher 3 type levels of immersion for it to be a success. Sure, we can't use any references where an expensive peripheral will work out but things happen. There's no way to know unless it's out. As for the motion sickness thing, Sony already confirmed that they are targeting 90fps for their games and something about the headset supports some 120hz reprojection or something. It comes with an external processing box. The PS4 is not doing all the grunt work alone. There's been hands on impressions with games like Driveclub for PS VR and then also I heard Tekken 7 and GT Sport will have VR support. I think the PSX stage demo was terrible and not representative of what we can reasonably expect.

This is from Digital Foundry/Eurogamer
  • DriveClub is rendering at a smooth 60fps, but the output is essentially 'upscaled' to 120fps on transmission to the VR headset. Those additional, interpolated frames are calculated based on updated sensor information supplied by the PlayStation VR headset. In effect, the game itself is running at 60fps, but the sense of movement and response looks and feels twice as smooth.
    [*]It's a technique used by all the major VR solutions, where it's commonly referred to as 'asynchronous time-warp'. In fact, applying reprojection to all frames - not just the interpolated ones - is common too, as it ensures that the very latest positional tracking data is applied to every image beamed to the headset.​

The prototype runs at 60fps and features a BAC Mono running a circuit race around one of the base game's India tracks. Evolution's Paul Rustchynsky explained that some optimisation has been made to get DriveClub running at 60fps - in contrast to the 30fps the base game runs at - with the car count being reduced from 12 to eight competitors, and with some trackside detail and the nuances of the weather and cloud system being dialled back. The rear-view mirrors were also disabled, though that's something that Evolution would like to address before any final release.

Following a single race, I'm pleased to say that it works, and it works well. VR's always been a good fit for racing games, and DriveClub only proves that. Being able to look to apex gives an extra layer of fidelity, and when matched with a good steering wheel - in this case Thrustmaster's T300 - it's one of the most authentic VR experiences you can get. The visual fidelity of DriveClub is largely intact, too - it's a little more sparse, but not distractingly so, and Evolution has been able to hit 60fps without the resolution taking a dive.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Sitting and looking at a 2D screen is far more immersion breaking, being placed into a world will blow peoples minds off jump. Yeah not seeing your own hands is a problem, but we're not at the stage when full body suits and treadmills are realistic. This is the first time VR will be available at a consumer level for an affordable price, it simply will not fail, especially since the first testing ground for it is PC :yeshrug:

The headsets will get smaller, there's already talk of wireless headsets and they will come down in price.
It will probably be successful in the same way kinect was. They'll sell enough for it to be profitable, but it won't become mainstream for all of the aforementioned reasons.

I doubt Fallout 6 will have meaningful VR support.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Yeah I know, but I've watched lots of demos and the controls still seem to be a rough point.

They are good enough for slower paced explorational stuff. But anything that's gonna need accuracy and responsiveness is gonna suffer.
again, this is something they've been constantly working on. HTC/Valve just released a new iteration of their controllers for the Vive-Pre. O.R. delayed their controllers

I'm not sure how you can really judge the accuracy and responsiveness of their controllers by watching someone else play. but never the less, whatever you saw was probably old tech

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
That's exactly what's happening. UC4 is not getting VR support and that's great. No need to tack it on for something unproven.
What i'm saying is you're assuming is VR on PS4 has have some sort of AAA experience to justify having one. Like Witcher 3 type levels of immersion for it to be a success. Sure, we can't use any references where an expensive peripheral will work out but things happen. There's no way to know unless it's out. As for the motion sickness thing, Sony already confirmed that they are targeting 90fps for their games and something about the headset supports some 120hz reprojection or something.

No, it's going to fail because expensive peripherals have never worked in console history. The console market is completely different from the PC level, where the headsets will be used for everything from gaming to Engineering to work in medical fields. PSVR will need a killer app for people to justify buying it, where as on PC if you have the power you can brute force damn near any game into having VR support. That PSVR game RIGS got a lot of love, but that's not a system seller of any kind. If you're not getting the UC4, God Of War level games, what is the point of having it?

Sony can say what they want, I'll believe it when I see it, VR is all about processing power.....

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
It will probably be successful in the same way kinect was. They'll sell enough for it to be profitable, but it won't become mainstream for all of the aforementioned reasons.

I doubt Fallout 6 will have meaningful VR support.

The VR headsets are going to be far more successful than kinect, it's not confined to one system and there are multiple manufactures of the headsets :yeshrug: It will become mainstream once the NFL/NBA apps drop for it and people can sit courtside. You're looking at this all wrong and not taking into account all the different fields this will be used in.

Fallout 6 wont have VR support?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
again, this is something they've been constantly working on. HTC/Valve just released a new iteration of their controllers for the Vive-Pre. O.R. delayed their controllers

I'm not sure how you can really judge the accuracy and responsiveness of their controllers by watching someone else play. but never the less, whatever you saw was probably old tech
It was a fairly recent video and the guy actually said that the controls were a bit iffy.

And motion controls will NEVER be as responsive as a controller. But you are right I'm cool to wait and see how they turn out.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The VR headsets are going to be far more successful than kinect, it's not confined to one system and there are multiple manufactures of the headsets :yeshrug: It will become mainstream once the NFL/NBA apps drop for it and people can sit courtside. You're looking at this all wrong and not taking into account all the different fields this will be used in.

Fallout 6 wont have VR support?

That's shoehorned in, and nowhere near a serviceable experience for 40-100 hour game.

In this thread I'm, taking about gaming applications, but even with NBA/NFL support, I don't see VR becoming mainstream anytime soon. Watching sports is very social, people go to bars and invite friends over. VR kills that part of the enjoyment. Yes it will be appealing to a limited market of guys, but for most of us no.

You preordered yours yet?

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
That's shoehorned in, and nowhere near a serviceable experience for 40-100 hour game.

In this thread I'm, taking about gaming applications, but even with NBA/NFL support, I don't see VR becoming mainstream anytime soon. Watching sports is very social, people go to bars and invite friends over. VR kills that part of the enjoyment. Yes it will be appealing to a limited market of guys, but for most of us no.

You preordered yours yet?

How would you know if it's not a serviceable experience...:wtf: VR support on the PC is relatively simple, you talking about how a game 5-6 years from now wont have support :dead:

You also saw the Kinect being a huge success, your predictions on the gaming industry aint that good breh.

No, I don't want Oculus Rift, I'm getting the HTC Vive (Steam).

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No, it's going to fail because expensive peripherals have never worked in console history. The console market is completely different from the PC level, where the headsets will be used for everything from gaming to Engineering to work in medical fields. PSVR will need a killer app for people to justify buying it, where as on PC if you have the power you can brute force damn near any game into having VR support. That PSVR game RIGS got a lot of love, but that's not a system seller of any kind. If you're not getting the UC4, God Of War level games, what is the point of having it?

Sony can say what they want, I'll believe it when I see it, VR is all about processing power.....
The kinect worked and sold 24 million units last I heard. Idk man, I don't see VR for consoles as a gimmick. To me, it's like seeing a 3D game after playing Side scrolling super nintendo games for all your life and going "Meh that's going to fail." It's like a logical step to a new paradigm and way to experience games. I firmly believe price and perception will cause it to not catch on to consoles at least. I don't see why someone would actively not want VR to take off for the future. You can only increase the resolution and framerate so much.