Why VR will fail.....

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
More will consider it at $400, but I don't see it moving too much at that price point either tbh. I think Sony might be able to get away with $300 for the initial crowd that wants it fast, but more or the same price as a PS4? Nah breh, I just don't see it for a good percentage of that crowd.
If they have lots of demo units set up throughout regional stores such as Bestbuy and Gamestop as well as a huge marketing campaign, they might be able to pull it off. Especially if there's some sort of "playroom" equivalent to it for the VR. Remember the PS4 camera?? That shyt started selling like fire because people saw other people using it to broadcast their house.

It wasn't even intended for that and it ended up being something that sold extremely well because it just caught on. It's funny how people will buy something for $400, buy a game, a year of PS+ and then turn around and buy a camera which probably ends up costing the same amount of money as an Xbox One. The perception is key. The camera is justifiable in the sense that it's just something extra. VR can be similar. Like you can just broadcast or you can use a camera. You don't "need" to face time,you can just talk on the phone but Skype and whatnot is probably much cooler.

You don't need VR but you certainly can play a coop racing game in whatever world with true immersion and feel like you're there. Word of mouth is powerful.

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I think the PSVR will succeed, if and only if, they come out the gate with a killer app. And they better send a test unit to every GameStop and Best Buy. I agree with the analysts. Sony has a larger market share for VR. It could take VR mainstream. The Rift and Vive are too expensive for the average, casual gamer. I think VR is the future, but we're still a few years out. It's only for tech heads like me right now. Sony could change that though....:yeshrug:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
If they have lots of demo units set up throughout regional stores such as Bestbuy and Gamestop as well as a huge marketing campaign, they might be able to pull it off. Especially if there's some sort of "playroom" equivalent to it for the VR. Remember the PS4 camera?? That shyt started selling like fire because people saw other people using it to broadcast their house. It wasn't even intended for that and it ended up being something that sold extremely well because it just caught on. It's funny how people will buy something for $400, buy a game, a year of PS+ and then turn around and buy a camera which probably ends up costing the same amount of money as an Xbox One. I suspect
Yeah, marketing can only do so much though. The reviews will come out and praise the tech, but then wonder about the real support the thing has.

Sony will have to pretty much require all their first party games to make full use of it to go along with massive titles such as Uncharted, the next last of us game, Gran Turismo and others to try to move the needle quickly. Problem is that those games are years away outside of Uncharted.

Whoever said this might just be a plant for PS5 integration is probably right, this will likely mean more in the next generation console than it does now. The Console market just isn't the source for bleeding edge tech for this reason man, it just hasn't shown that it can sustain the high entry cost when the market has told sony and microsoft to not go too far or they will dip out.

I wonder how many PS4 owners have even upgrade their PS4 with an SSD, that will be a good number to look up if the stats are out there anywhere.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I think the PSVR will succeed, if and only if, they come out the gate with a killer app. And they better send a test unit to every GameStop and Best Buy. I agree with the analysts. Sony has a larger market share for VR. It could take VR mainstream. The Rift and Vive are too expensive for the average, casual gamer. I think VR is the future, but we're still a few years out. It's only for tech heads like me right now. Sony could change that though....:yeshrug:
IMO it needs to have a year stretch in where 5-6 killer titles come out with great integration to get the console buyers to pony up the cash. That market is tough as shyt to move anything over $200 though...I can't even remember an expensive $200+ peripheral succeeding on consoles.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Console level VR on PS4 will fail, mainly because you cannot split a userbase and add on peripherals for consoles have always failed. And lets keep it 100, the PS4 isn't powerful enough for this shyt to begin with.

The PC level VR will not fail, because it's not just tethered to games, it will be used in many different fields, even the NBA/NFL are already testing how to bring VR to their fans.

As for gaming the point about a controller being immersion breaking is fukking ridiculous, since games are currently designed to be 3-D yet are played on a two dimensional medium. The headset will bring the world to life, have you even tried it yet?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, marketing can only do so much though. The reviews will come out and praise the tech, but then wonder about the real support the thing has.

It seems like some big titles will support it such as GT Sport, Driveclub, Tekken 7, Final Fantasy XIV and i think media molecule's game Dreams. Next to that, other third party games may have support. A killer app may be all they need. Something like VR Playroom or group chat where you can literally be in any area of the world or w/e and physically see teh people you're chatting with or something. Maybe a VR sports arena where you can watch VR football or Basketball. Hell, I can even see them monetizing it.

Sony will have to pretty much require all their first party games to make full use of it to go along with massive titles such as Uncharted, the next last of us game, Gran Turismo and others to try to move the needle quickly. Problem is that those games are years away outside of Uncharted.

I don't know how a Last of US type game will work on this.

Whoever said this might just be a plant for PS5 integration is probably right, this will likely mean more in the next generation console than it does now. The Console market just isn't the source for bleeding edge tech for this reason man, it just hasn't shown that it can sustain the high entry cost when the market has told sony and microsoft to not go too far or they will dip out.

The console market doesn't have to be the source for bleeding edge tech. That's the whole point. It'll be VR, it'll work and people will talk about it.... If it's priced right and has something worth trying. Nobody will be talking about the specs except for a small number of people online. How many people you know in real life talk about framerates and all that tech stuff we know?? I'm talking besides a small circle of "in the know" friends but just the average person??

I wonder how many PS4 owners have even upgrade their PS4 with an SSD, that will be a good number to look up if the stats are out there anywhere.
I know people who wants to upgrade their HDD but Idk about to a SSD though. I suspect more people are doing it because they'll run into a storage limit and most likely try to found out what to do aside from deleting games.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
ony will have to pretty much require all their first party games to make full use of it to go along with massive titles such as Uncharted, the next last of us game, Gran Turismo and others to try to move the needle quickly. Problem is that those games are years away outside of Uncharted
Other problem is, you can't just hit a switch and make those games VR. The game would have to be built from the ground up for VR or it will be shoehorned in, in a non-meaningful way.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Console level VR will fail, mainly because you cannot split a userbase and add on peripherals for consoles have always failed.

The PC level VR will not fail, because it's not just tethered to games, it will be used in many different fields, even the NBA/NFL are already testing how to bring VR to their fans.

As for gaming the point about a controller being immersion breaking is fukking ridiculous, since games are currently designed to be 3-D yet are played on a two dimensional medium. The headset will bring the world to life, have you even tried it yet?
Huh?? How will it split the userbase?? It's not like the next Uncharted or w/e will come out and only work with VR. I'm suspecting games will work with VR support as opposed to outright VR only and even then those games would be most likely labelled and advertised as a VR game so there should be no confusion. Also PS4 can have support for VR for things other than games. There are movie and sport apps on the PS4 that can easily support VR if they want to.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IMO even $400 is too high for the console market, it has to be cheaper than the unit used to connect it to. The PC market can handle this because you have nuts like @Ciggavelli who basically have a NASA office in his basement.

@Prodigal Syndicate I don't think people are doubting the technology, it's more of a sense if it will connect with gamers. Things that stray a little too much outside of the comfort zone gamers are used to generally hasn't done well.
:pachaha:

@Ciggavelli you gotta drop a screenshot of your setup man. Lol I'm sure that shyt will probably have to be uploaded to a file sharing site to download from it being so big.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I find that hard to believe. you buy everything
That should tell you this things chances of success. I buy dumb crap I don't even need and this isn't even a blip on my radar.

This is just the next gimmick and it will fail as expensive peripherals tend to do.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If you are bringing the world to life then your natural inclination would be to reach out and touch stuff. If you are sitting in a cockpit in a mech, you'd want to reach out and touch the buttons/levers as opposed to just hiting buttons on a controller.

Obviously this isn't a game breaker, but I think it's one of the challenges that have to be solved before VR will be adopted by the masses.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Move/Wii motion controls: Waggle sucks, not responsive enough, traditional controller just works better for most games.

With VR sure there will be games that you can use a controller for, but that instantly kills the immersion you were trying to capture by putting the headset on. So you either have unresponsive motion controls, or you have an immersion breaking controller in your hand.
the Wii came out 10 years ago. do you not think they've made advances in the tech since then?

getting the controls/controllers right is something they've been working on. they know they need very accurate tracking in order for the tech to work right