Why VR will fail.....

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The Kinect only pushed 24 million because that shyt was pushed everywhere. I believe it was becoming damn near impossible to find an xbox 360 without the kinect and of course the xbox one sold several hundred units with the kinect as well.
That's even more of a reason it will be difficult for VR to match its success

And it was only $200:francis: and didn't need a $1000+ computer to run it.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
That's even more of a reason it will be difficult for VR to match its success

And it was only $200:francis: and didn't need a $1000+ computer to run it.
On the PC I think it won't have a problem pushing that number over a few years.

It's the console market that I wonder how long it will take to pull off. That market just isn't willing to drop that kind of cash on hardware and things that change the experience so much.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
On the PC I think it won't have a problem pushing that number over a few years.

It's the console market that I wonder how long it will take to pull off. That market just isn't willing to drop that kind of cash on hardware and things that change the experience so much.
According to nvidia only 13 million PCs are ready for VR today. Even if all of those people buy VR that's still a long way from 24million.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
According to nvidia only 13 million PCs are ready for VR today. Even if all of those people buy VR that's still a long way from 24million.
13 million today, possibly 40-50 million by the time pascal comes out and people start buying the old 970's that are bound to pop up in the after market. With the increase in performance nvidia is promising, I am assuming that all the pascal cards will be VR ready. The goal should be to release a $200 card that can handle it, currently there are none on the market.

The consoles might technically have the market share to penetrate to VR, but maybe 5% of the consumer base that will actually be willing to spend that kind of cash on one anywhere near $600.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
13 million today, possibly 40-50 million by the time pascal comes out and people start buying the old 970's that are bound to pop up in the after market. With the increase in performance nvidia is promising, I am assuming that all the pascal cards will be VR ready. The goal should be to release a $200 card that can handle it, currently there are none on the market.

You pulling numbers out your ass breh :wtf:

That's a huge jump in just a couple months.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
All I know is I'm going hard on VR this year. I hope all 3 succeed. It's the future. I can see the OR being more casual, and focusing on movies and sports as well as games. The Vive will be for the hardcore, and will cost the most. The PSVR will be the least powerful, but the most assessable for the average consumer. I think a lot hangs on the PSVR. If it fails, I think it'll be hard for VR to become mainstream. I'll probably have all three, but I see the PSVR selling the most, as it doesn't need a 1K plus PC to run it. I think the future relies on Sony at this point. If it fails, shyt might just fall off. The OR has the name recognition and games right now, but the Vive will catch up. If it's $1500 though, I don't see it selling well.

All that being said, I'm already planning my dedicated VR PC for this year. I want it all :blessed: I've been waiting for good VR since I was a little kid. This is the most excited I've been for gaming in a long time. What a great time to be alive :blessed:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
You pulling numbers out your ass breh :wtf:

That's a huge jump in just a couple months.
I like to do that.

You are also not accounting for what AMD and Intel has up their sleeve. That is the beauty of the PC market.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
All I know is I'm going hard on VR this year. I hope all 3 succeed. It's the future. I can see the OR being more casual, and focusing on movies and sports as well as games. The Vive will be for the hardcore, and will cost the most. The PSVR will be the least powerful, but the most assessable for the average consumer. I think a lot hangs on the PSVR. If it fails, I think it'll be hard for VR to become mainstream. I'll probably have all three, but I see the PSVR selling the most, as it doesn't need a 1K plus PC to run it. I think the future relies on Sony at this point. If it fails, shyt might just fall off. The OR has the name recognition and games right now, but the Vive will catch up. If it's $1500 though, I don't see it selling well.

All that being said, I'm already planning my dedicated VR PC for this year. I want it all :blessed: I've been waiting for good VR since I was a little kid. This is the most excited I've been for gaming in a long time. What a great time to be alive :blessed:
I thought you were kinda mad at PC gaming? I knew you would be back sooner than you thought. I predicted it in the xbox cloud thread that I keep upping :lolbron:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I thought you were kinda mad at PC gaming? I knew you would be back sooner than you thought. I predicted it in the xbox cloud thread that I keep upping :lolbron:
Nah, that was only for 6 months, like I said a year and a half ago. I've been back on PC since the beginning of last year. I missed nothing during my 6 month console hiatus. Once those Titan Xs dropped, I went straight back to PC gaming. I got a bad card now, which pisses me off, but I should be able to RMA it. If not, I'll just buy 2 980tis. It shouldn't come to that though, as nvidia should come through with the new card. I just hope it comes before Jan 28, so I can play Tomb Raider in sli, but if not, one Titan X will be good at 1440p.

PC gaming pisses me off because my shyt always breaks, but it's definitely my preferred platform.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I don't see psvr being cheaper than 350$

I also can't see it catching on unless it's 150-200$

Console gamers aren't big on buying accessories.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
if early adopters get on the internet like "OMG this shyt is incredible!", people will find the money

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
How the hell are some of yall calling it a fail but then saying it will be greater later?!?! Yall trippin ain't no way this is going to fail. They gonna make it better and better as time goes on...more realistic, smaller headset, cheaper. Everything has a starting point and even if these early models don't sell out the building i think more and more ppl will gravitate towards the experience IF the games are good. Also Imagine actually being in a Super Mario world.:banderas:

EDIT: Ok i take back the "no way this will fail" boldness...just watched Occ Rift Super Mario and was not impressed. I do think this thing will get better with time and so it won't be a total fail as the worlds become more immersive. Also it seems you can use alot of already popular, existing games with Occ Rift and that is HUGE. So that you're not buying all new different VR games, altho i'm sure that might be developing that category as we speak to get more money.

Last edited:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
The PSVR will be the least powerful, but the most assessable for the average consumer. I think a lot hangs on the PSVR. If it fails, I think it'll be hard for VR to become mainstream. I'll probably have all three, but I see the PSVR selling the most, as it doesn't need a 1K plus PC to run it. I think the future relies on Sony at this point. If it fails, shyt might just fall off.
Nail on head. Ultimately if the PSVR is attractively priced (£250/$350) and has some basic level of support it could serve as catalyst for the whole thing to blow. I'm optimistic.