Why The US Has No High-Speed Rail

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
haven't read the whole thread, but willing to bet there are alot of people/companies that rely on car travel that lobby against this type of shyt. All those small town gas stations and small town restaurants. Towns that have little roadside attractions. Some of these ragedy ass Police and Sheriffs departments that rely on speeding tickets.

Just like in the city, people rely on you going outside everyday and spending money. They set up shop right in our paths. Probably a bunch of other side industries that eat off of highway travel. Hell, the airline industry probably hatin behind the scenes.

KRayner

All Star
Daps
they got a train in Orlando but it doesn’t run on weekends

:dead: :sad:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)

Question: I want to know when we’ll get high-speed rail. There has been a proposal for a long time for high-speed rail to connect Atlanta to Charlotte. Whatever happened to that? —Leu Croll

Answer: A long time indeed: It was in 1992 that the Federal Railroad Administration first pitched the idea of five high-speed rail corridors around the country, including an initial Southeast route from Washington, D.C., to North Carolina; later in the decade, the FRA added Atlanta and Savannah to its plans. So: On its 30th anniversary, how are plans progressing?

Slowly—though they are progressing. In June, speaking to the Rotary Club of Atlanta, Senator Jon Ossoff promoted the idea of a bullet train between Atlanta and Savannah, noting that he’d steered some federal money into funding an initial environmental survey. The broader vision of a Southeast corridor here could include routes not just to Savannah but to Nashville, Augusta, Charleston—and, yes, Charlotte. “This has the potential to be a really significant part of our state’s infrastructure future,” Ossoff said.

The hurdles are several. First, engineering. High-speed rail can be powered by electricity on its own dedicated line or fueled by diesel on existing tracks. Around our neck of the woods, the latter option is a no-go: In the mountainous areas north of Atlanta, the existing freight track moves through a topography with lots of sharp curves and heavy grades, said Gary Wolf, president of Atlanta-based Wolf Railway Consulting, whereas high-speed rail is “better suited to lighter gradients and easy curves.” New tracks—and the right of way on which to install them—are required.

Click the link to Read More

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC

The hurdles are several. First, engineering. High-speed rail can be powered by electricity on its own dedicated line or fueled by diesel on existing tracks. Around our neck of the woods, the latter option is a no-go: In the mountainous areas north of Atlanta, the existing freight track moves through a topography with lots of sharp curves and heavy grades, said Gary Wolf, president of Atlanta-based Wolf Railway Consulting, whereas high-speed rail is “better suited to lighter gradients and easy curves.” New tracks—and the right of way on which to install them—are required.

Click the link to Read More
CAP

high speed rail goes through all kinds of mountainous terrain in Japan, China, South Korea and Europe. They build platforms to create a flat route over a long distance

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
the want $250 for round trip on namtrack from nye to DC. shyt should be like $50 each way.

Smh. I took the train to NYC from DC a few yrs back......got there in like 3 hrs, relaxing ride. Been trying to take the fam back up on the train....but I'm not paying a rack for everyone to go :patrice:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Smh. I took the train to NYC from DC a few yrs back......got there in like 3 hrs, relaxing ride. Been trying to take the fam back up on the train....but I'm not paying a rack for everyone to go :patrice:
You can get round trip DC-NYC tickets for $60, just gotta book >30 days advance

ShvU3ML.png

Daps
Reppin
NULL
megabus. the train is a luxury mode of transport at that price point. Its a shame that many times I can fly to BWI from JFK and make my way to silver spring for less that what Amtrak is charging.