Why The US Has No High-Speed Rail

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
The strike is literally so they can't take sick days and get worked like Judah Ben-Hur.
That's like #4 on the list. Pay not matching inflation, health care costs wiping out pay increases, and one man crews. Thats what the strike is about.

The sick days you mentioned is a direct result of people already leaving and them forcing the remaining workers to cover the losses.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
That's like #4 on the list. Pay not matching inflation, health care costs wiping out pay increases, and one man crews. Thats what the strike is about.

The sick days you mentioned is a direct result of people already leaving and them forcing the remaining workers to cover the losses.

No it's not. They got like a 22% pay raise.

What's happening: The two largest unions, which represent about half of all the railway workers, are holding out for better terms. The other 10 unions (representing the other half) have signaled support for the current deal.

Still, it's not clear if rank-and-file members, who still have to vote on the deal, would support it: "From what I see at the shop, it's an overwhelming 'no,'" says the machinist.
He noted that his employer doesn't offer workers any paid sick time; only unpaid time off (which comes with penalties for overuse). BNSF said in a statement that train crew get paid vacation and personal leave days.
While some close to the deal talks expressed optimism, others issued warnings: "I frankly think there's a high degree of likelihood that there is going to be a strike on Friday. And this will be unprecedented in our country's history," says one industry source, speaking on condition of anonymity as talks continue.
The holdouts: The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, and The SMART Transportation Division say in statements that they need paid sick leave and better policies around work hours, before they sign onto the deal, according to a recent statement.

Workers are penalized — even fired — for taking sick time or visiting the doctor, the unions said in a joint statement Sunday.

Last edited:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
If I'm not mistaken they are building one between DFW and Houston, and eventually will build one between all 4 of the major Texas metropolitan areas.
Is it high speed because just like inflation …the US recently change the definition because they couldn’t compete with la China

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Breh, don't even start.

• Nyc is 850miles away from ATL.
  • The average Asian bullet train is doing 200mph(only in the countyside)
  • At those speeds that would be 4+ hrs on a train.:comeon:
  • The flight is only 2.5hrs:usure:
  • Planes are more convenient and cheaper at that time frame
We gotta face the facts that this country is several times bigger than every EU country with Highspeed rail. It is several times bigger than JP with high-speed rail. And it is more spread out than China with her. :unimpressed:

That sht is only practical Nyc -> DC -> Philly

And maybe southern California to SFO
milwaukee to Chicago?

Chicago to STL?

Chicago to Indianapolis, Twin Cities?

All practical routes

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would much rather take rail than plane for short to medium distances. The extra time on the train is offset by comfort, less time at airport, and typically train stations are in a central part of a city connected to other transportation. Traveling in Europe and Asia by train is a joy.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
There is nothing more frustrating then it's a nice weekend out and you wanna go somewhere in the US/North America that takes more than 1 hr and you talk yourself out of it due to traffic, stress of driving, wear and tear on your car or just want to sit and relax.

A simple night out, concert or festival you won't do due to a commute.

I'm convinced this is intentional to keep folks in their place.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
They should start regionally. Don’t let republicacs who still want to rely on fukkin coal and shyt have any say. fukk them, leave them behind. Connect LA to Vegas, Phoenix, SF, even all the way up to Seattle. Train ride on the PCH and through the PNW would be :banderas:

That connecting Portland to Vancouver would be nuts.

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
No it's not. They got like a 22% pay raise.
The PEB recommended a 22% pay increase. Which is the main reason there's going to be a strike.

The sick/attendance policy you keep referring to only applies to one RR, which is noted in that article.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
I would much rather take rail than plane for short to medium distances. The extra time on the train is offset by comfort, less time at airport, and typically train stations are in a central part of a city connected to other transportation. Traveling in Europe and Asia by train is a joy.
Right? I had a 55 minute flight from Detroit to Chicago.

Standing in the TSA line. Airport traffic. Jam packed plane only to be in the air 50 minutes?:camby:

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
The PEB recommended a 22% pay increase. Which is the main reason there's going to be a strike.

The sick/attendance policy you keep referring to only applies to one RR, which is noted in that article.

It's 2 total unions left. 10 of then ratified and it's the sticking point for the 2 left.

In any note, hope this can be avoided.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Dumb question, how much is high speed rail utilized in China?

I'm just thinking, it'll be great to have these high speed lines between cities, I often travel to Milwaukee from Chicago for work, but I still need a car once I get there because the office isn't next to the Metra station. Doesn't the transportation system in midsized cities need to be fixed in tandem to have a benefit here? Culturally are we even wired to benefit if the infrastructure is even built? People like their cars and big ass house in the suburbs.

Seems like a financial boondoggle if the billions, if not trillions are spent to get high speed rail. Some lines make sense, LA to San Fran, Texas triangle, northeast corridor, because the population density is there, but building a high speed line from one 500K city to another 500K city seems like a waste if only a few thousand people are going to use it daily.