Why should someone pursue a Masters Degree?

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk a masters. older family and relatives trying to pressure me to go for that sh't.

im not even working in the field that i have a degree in.

That's what my ass in this shyt. :beli:

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
nah. george bush is a very very very very very bad example. contrary to public opinion, this dude is not an idiot. watch the debates he had with al gore and tell me that n1gga didn't come off intelligent as fucck.

if you think average work ethic will get u far in life, you better get ur ass back in school and accumulate as much degrees as u can.

there's a ddue at my job who is really smart. technically speaking. he has all the degrees. he can take a course and pass it, where, i couldn't pass exams even if i tried my hardest. tell me why this dude stay looking through my sh1t, always trying to catch up to me. seeing what my latest projects are. trying to replicate them. i let him do it for a while, till i realized dude was snake. so i put a stop to that. now, he walks around the office not talking to me and looking mad. thinking I give a fucck. matter of fact, i lock sh1t down even more now just to make sure he stays mad. fucck him

now, whats the point. u can be an excellent degree accumulator, or whatever u wanna call it, if ur ass aint creative and lack a strong work ethic, trust, u aint sh1t.

lol at your connections and "average work ethic" putting u past a man like me :childplease:

I never said George W Bush was stupid. But intelligence does not translate to a strong work ethic. George Bush bankrupted two companies as the CEO and as I stated before took the most vacation days of any active president and no he was not a good president. He was a cheerleader for fukksakes. He was not a hard worker yet he's still a multimillionaire and heir to a billion dollar fortune cuz of his family and connections. I'm not saying I'm in support of a subpar work ethic and nor does it apply to me but I'm making a point saying the average hard working man will never amount the financial fortune George W has due to his connections.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
From middle school up to high school all I heard was "Go To College. It opens up doors and is the key to success...blah...blah...blah..." I believed it, went to college. Freshman orientation was like "College is the key to success, it is the key to life. You took a great step in life....blah...blah...blah."

Then at college graduation the keynote speaker is like "Now you can go to grad school." :why: I'm thinking the key to success was a 4 year degree that's what nikkas been telling me since 7th grade up until this point in my life. I got out in the world acquired a bunch of shytty dead in jobs then got laid off 3 times in 4 years. nikkas now is telling me to go back to school and get a masters to better compete for 60-70K jobs I could've gotten a decade ago with an undergrad degree and work experience.

Education is a hustle right now. And it's designed to keep a lot of students in debt. And the notion that you are supposed to go deeper in debt to acquire a Masters or more is ridiculous. Unless you have a technical profession (i.e. Doctor, Dentist, Engineer, Lawyer) a 4 year undergrad degree is all the formal education you need. The rest is based around your connections, personality, work experience & to a lesser degree your work ethic. Those four items will take you a lot further in life than PHDs or Masters ever could.

Things change. More people are going to school; however, the economy is weaker than it was back then. Thus, you have more supply than demand. To separate you from the pack, you have to get your masters.

Better job prospects, its pretty obvious to me.

After undergrad I was able to get a job in my desired field (pathology) at about 35k annually, topping out at about 55k. The average graduate of my masters program has an average of two job offers waiting upon graduation starting at an average of 84k and topping out in low six figures.

It all depends what on what field you're studying in though in my opinion.

Yup, depends on the field.
nah. george bush is a very very very very very bad example. contrary to public opinion, this dude is not an idiot. watch the debates he had with al gore and tell me that n1gga didn't come off intelligent as fucck.

if you think average work ethic will get u far in life, you better get ur ass back in school and accumulate as much degrees as u can.

there's a ddue at my job who is really smart. technically speaking. he has all the degrees. he can take a course and pass it, where, i couldn't pass exams even if i tried my hardest. tell me why this dude stay looking through my sh1t, always trying to catch up to me. seeing what my latest projects are. trying to replicate them. i let him do it for a while, till i realized dude was snake. so i put a stop to that. now, he walks around the office not talking to me and looking mad. thinking I give a fucck. matter of fact, i lock sh1t down even more now just to make sure he stays mad. fucck him

now, whats the point. u can be an excellent degree accumulator, or whatever u wanna call it, if ur ass aint creative and lack a strong work ethic, trust, u aint sh1t.

lol at your connections and "average work ethic" putting u past a man like me :childplease:

:usure: What kind of projects are we talking about? Because your grammar in this post is absolutely atrocious:cacmjpls:

FLASH

Banned
Daps
Reppin
CHIRAQ
A wise man once told me "If you want to get rich in this country, you need to build relationships with the right people."

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Things change. More people are going to school; however, the economy is weaker than it was back then. Thus, you have more supply than demand. To separate you from the pack, you have to get your masters.

Yup, depends on the field.

:usure: What kind of projects are we talking about? Because your grammar in this post is absolutely atrocious:cacmjpls:

:laugh: the nerve of this n1gga. my grammar???? :laugh: :laugh:

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
the people in my fam that went for they masters did it cuz it was gonna mean an increase in pay

my aunt went back and she said she wouldnt have if her job told her they was gone pay and she was gonna have more opportunity in the company

depends on your field

and does it directly benefit you at that moment? if not i would say its not needed

but if its gonna open more doors for you then hell yea i say go for your Master's imo

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm going back for my MBA in a few years. It can only help. Its been part of the plan since I started undergrad.

DirtyMoney

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man degrees aint shyt. I got 1 bachelors and make $200k and i am 28. Hustle > Degrees.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:dwillhuh: I got about a year and a half for my bachelors for mechanical engineering and I'm goin' through it right now :lift:. If this has the same value as a diploma, I might as well kill myself right now, because I'm damn sure not goin' for my Masters :no:

I'm either movin' packs, or I'm robbin' n!ggas, but more school after countless hours of studying, bum a$$ raggedy summer internships, plus school through ever summer since high school :heh:

If an employer tells me, "Maybe you should try for your Masters and get back to us", Imma be on some real murder sh!t
2f931a0de37b82e56fd967170dd105c4.jpg

N!ggas gon' bleed

thats the problem breh...... :beli:

should have gone with chemical or electrical....

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thats the problem breh...... :beli:

should have gone with chemical or electrical....

nah breh. he's good with that mechanical degree. i'm sorry but any employer who isn't satisfied with that degree needs to be laughed at and walked out on.

with a degree in that sh1t, and a few years of work experience, he's golden.

its just inhumane to be brainwashing people to pursue "higher education" when in most cases, sh1t is NOT necessary. the institution of colleges is a money making institution. they need suckers to keep believing that bs and keep coming back for more education.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
:dwillhuh: I got about a year and a half for my bachelors for mechanical engineering and I'm goin' through it right now :lift:. If this has the same value as a diploma, I might as well kill myself right now, because I'm damn sure not goin' for my Masters :no:

I'm either movin' packs, or I'm robbin' n!ggas, but more school after countless hours of studying, bum a$$ raggedy summer internships, plus school through ever summer since high school :heh:

If an employer tells me, "Maybe you should try for your Masters and get back to us", Imma be on some real murder sh!t
2f931a0de37b82e56fd967170dd105c4.jpg

N!ggas gon' bleed

You chose a major with a high demand. As long as you do internships and some extracurriculars along with a good GPA you'll be fine. If not you're going to have to be open to moving in order to get some experience.

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
There's a lot of factors to weigh, that's for sure. Is it a personal goal, is your job asking and/or paying for it, what's the job market look like/need, etc. Sometimes, it pays to get one while other times it might not be needed, especially if debt or lack of time/focus is an issue.

If an employer is paying for it, by all means go for it. Continuous learning won't hurt anyone in that instance...:leon:

Otherwise, do your homework and weigh the options...:manny:

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If a friend Graduated from undergrad, and decided to work to pay off the loans and go back to school later...should that individual be pressured into getting his/her masters right after school?

why is working for some time then going back a worse option?

more marketability, more opportunity, more formal knowledge, sometimes positions require the masters to get it hence more opportunity

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If a friend Graduated from undergrad, and decided to work to pay off the loans and go back to school later...should that individual be pressured into getting his/her masters right after school?

more marketability, more opportunity, more formal knowledge, sometimes positions require the masters to get it hence more opportunity, oh and direct correlation with higher earning over lifetime of a position and you can get higher paying positions faster.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

No. Paying off debt and getting some work experience before pursuing a Masters is a good idea. Getting experience at a company that will reimburse tuition for said Masters is even better.

The option that doesn't put the student further in debt is what should be the logical choice.