Why should someone pursue a Masters Degree?

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
Its impossible to say whether anyone should have a masters or not with out knowing individual details about each persons need. Its a case by case situation.

For Example, most of the people I know from undergrad went on to get a MS or MBA, right after undergrad. In Accounting you need a certain amount of college hours to be able to sit for the CPA Exam. Unless you are taking useless classes to pad your schedule you will leave undergrad with less hours than needed to take the exam. This will cause you to end up getting a graduate degree and in the process get the amount of hours needed to take the test. And if you are doing accounting outside of government work that CPA opens up everything for you. Some companies wont even hire you unless you meet the requirements to sit for the CPA exam and will be pursuing it. Plus you can teach college courses with a Masters Degree/CPA and a few years of work experience.

And if approached correctly, one can avoid college debt..its alot of money out there that people never discover.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Depends on what you aspirations are.

At the company I work for if you have any type of executive aspirations at all you'll need a masters degree.

Not too sure why. I just know its a requirement.

Now this is true in a lot of cases, but what percentage of the workforce is in executive management?

5% at the most maybe?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Just speaking from experience as someone who did just that...

I would recommend that you obtain your bachelors, get a job, work for a few years (3+) and then decide if you want to go back.

Why? Well for starters a master's degree is a major investment and there is no guarantee that you'll like the first job that you ever have. I know a ton of people who have completed their undergrads, got a job in their field--and then totally decided it wasn't for them and left the field altogether. Getting a masters immediately after your UG sort of forces you to remain in that field (due to the financial commitment) without even knowing if it's for you. And believe me when I tell you, there are few things worse then being stuck at a job day in and day out that you absolutely detest, but have no choice but to stay there.

Plus, outside of a professional degree (law, medicine etc), most jobs that require a masters degree also require work experience to qualify for the salary and responsibility--work experience that most UGs don't have yet. Either way, if you get the masters directly from UG, chances are, you won't qualify for the positions that have that requirement anyway until you can gain experience at the entry level.

Daps
Now this is true in a lot of cases, but what percentage of the workforce is in executive management?

5% at the most maybe?

Yeah that sounds about right. I'm not saying that he NEEDS one I was just saying it depends on what his goals are.

I only have a bachelors and I see no reason to go back at all. (plus i'm already catching a beating with my school loans currently)

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
You don't have to take out loans to get an education. She should start looking at scholarships. Does her job offer tuition reimbursement?

she is getting scholarships, but still has to pay some tuition. I dont think she is getting tuition reimbursement, but I gotta check. I totally forgot about that.

but still, all that education is for the birds when you have yet to benefit from it monetarily.

if it were all about education, she should make more than me cuz I have a bachelor's and she has a master's.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
I have a master's degree, an MPH

My personal advice, apply for a PhD program instead of going for your masters. PhD programs are usually endowed... meaning you pay nothing.

Only master's degree I think is really worth it is the MBA. Only reason I got my MPH is because I was already in the medical field, therefore I had work experience, and I knew I would directly benefit from it as far as job opportunities.

Get work experience first, and once you find the field you truly want to be in via that experience... then go and get your master's degree in that field, once you know it can directly benefit you.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
she is getting scholarships, but still has to pay some tuition. I dont think she is getting tuition reimbursement, but I gotta check. I totally forgot about that.

but still, all that education is for the birds when you have yet to benefit from it monetarily.

if it were all about education, she should make more than me cuz I have a bachelor's and she has a master's.

She hasn't found the right job and she'll probably have to switch companies to get a decent salary. But still :salute: to her for pursuing education. I think all mothers should have a degree...two or three can't hurt either.

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
:comeon: so posting someone suggesting that bachelor degrees are equal to high school diplomas means it's the truth

Dumb nikka came in here regurgitating some shyt you heard then when people question your logic you got flustered and bailed.

flustered? bailed?

lol i dont got time to sit here and debate

you believe something different

your opinion WILL NOT change

im not going to waste an hour trying to convince you about anything

so like i said....you could have ya thread back

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
You chose a major with a high demand. As long as you do internships and some extracurriculars along with a good GPA you'll be fine. If not you're going to have to be open to moving in order to get some experience.

:yeshrug: I actually look FORWARD to movin' around to new places, I wasn't planning on staying in South C@c after graduation

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
I have a master's degree, an MPH

My personal advice, apply for a PhD program instead of going for your masters. PhD programs are usually endowed... meaning you pay nothing.

Only master's degree I think is really worth it is the MBA. Only reason I got my MPH is because I was already in the medical field, therefore I had work experience, and I knew I would directly benefit from it as far as job opportunities.

Get work experience first, and once you find the field you truly want to be in via that experience... then go and get your master's degree in that field, once you know it can directly benefit you.

PHD programs are 5-6 years bruh and there's fukkin quals. You trippin:russ:

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
thats the problem breh...... :beli:

should have gone with chemical or electrical....

I was in Chemical eng and switched to mechanical 3 semesters ago, and dat sh!t was hell (it's supposed to be tho). The good thing about it was that it was a broad field and covered a lot, and I was maintaining my GPA, but Mechanical engineering fit more in line with what I want to do.......plus I'm not overextending myself like I was before (still difficult at times)

I know finding work won't be difficult for me with just a bachelors, I was just sayin' if it was, I would flip the f*ck out because of all the work I put in.

I got a decent internship for Merrick and Co. coming up this Summer (way better than my first internship last year) , but I got to go all the way from South Carolina to Oak Ridge in Tennessee :wow:

1 semester and some change and I'm audi, no masters degree for me.:mj:

There's a 10% chance that I might go back later down the road, but I doubt it