Why Isn’t Trae Young in the MVP Conversation ?

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Your point would have more merit if he was the actual MVP of his own team though. That distinction belongs to Capela. It's the same logic as to why Mitchell isn't the MVP of his own team. Gobert is.

Defense matters regardless of how much the analytics say otherwise.
Nobody ever said Magic wasn’t the MVP of his team because Michael Cooper was the superior defender. Or Nash wasn’t the MVP of his team because Shawn Marion was their best defender

Im just trying to figure out when these rules changed and who had the authority to change them?

And will the same energy be kept consistently going forward?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
He gets those stats on bad shooting #'s, high turnovers and terrible defense. And despite playing in the easier conference he's got the 11th-best record in the NBA.

Luka's team is 20-9 against the East. Trae's team is 16-13 against the West. If they switched conferences the difference in their records would be even bigger.

And Luka, with more efficient play, better defense, and a better record, STILL isn't seriously in the MVP conversation. That's how far Trae is from making it.

Because defensive rating is a useless stat that depends way too much on how your teammates perform. NO ONE serious uses defensive rating to evaluate players. If you watch basketball and seriously think that Dame and Beal are worse defenders than Trae, I have to question what you're watching.

This metric isn't perfect either but it's a lot better than "defensive rating". Trae looking lonely there in the bottom corner.

E1HgAZZWYAAVJn9

“LEBRON Defensive Points Saved” :laff:

Man get the fukk out of here. You went and searched for the most made up shyt to prove your point.

NBA Real Plus-Minus - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Look up the traditional defense plus-minus and tell me where Trae is :sas1:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
And to be fair, I don’t think Trae is a mvp type player yet. It’s just crazy he’s getting criticized for shyt that they let other players get a pass for.

I don’t even think he can be a #1 on a championship level team because besides Zeke and Curry, you don’t win when a small player is your #1 option. But dudes here and analytic cacs be saying some off the wall shyt but be acting like Luka is the 2nd coming

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
He isn't that good though if you look deeper into the numbers though. Capela is the more impactful big man for them at a lower cost.

for sure, I’m not really a fan of his game either, but I mean should the hawks just let him go for nothing or try and keep him and eventually try to trade him? (Which will be tough if he’s making a max or close to it)

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Nobody ever said Magic wasn’t the MVP of his team because Michael Cooper was the superior defender. Or Nash wasn’t the MVP of his team because Shawn Marion was their best defender

Im just trying to figure out when these rules changed and who had the authority to change them?

And will the same energy be kept consistently going forward?

Honestly and I've said this before, there is no basis or consistency when it comes to determining MVP. The criteria changes each year based on the narrative.

I think CP3 deserves MVP with what he's done for Phoenix, he can't even get a fair mention in the conversation without people minimizing his impact for what he's doing for the Suns.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
for sure, I’m not really a fan of his game either, but I mean should the hawks just let him go for nothing or try and keep him and eventually try to trade him? (Which will be tough if he’s making a max or close to it)

They could always do a sign and trade, which I think they want and will end up doing anyways. Young is due an extension here soon plus other young players on the roster. They won't be able to pay them all, so some will have to go and Collins will likely be one of them.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
The Hawks are currently a 4 seed, just like the Nuggets...

The roster has been riddled with injuries all season just like the Nuggets.

He doesn’t defend anyone just like the leading MVP candidate from the Nuggets.

Not saying he deserves it. But the fact he’s not even in the conversation seems like media hate.
Because he isn't good enough yet in my eyes. Before LP was fired, he was playing like Zeke 2.0 sometimes and a lot like Marbury 2.0, and it was costing us games. He's Zeke 2.0 now consistently but he's not the reason we were winning games now. That is:

1. Nate M.
2. Everyone not named Hunter, Trae, Collins, or Capela. Reddish had our highest WAR at 0.1 when LP was fired. Bogi had a bottom 25 -1.1. Kevin was -0.6. Gallo was -0.3. Snell and the rest were in the negatives. Since that time, Cam still hurt but Bogi is 4.3 WAR which is a 5.4 improvement since the end of Feb. Kevin 2.8 which is a 3.4 improvement, 1.9 WAR for Gallo, only Solo is still in the negatives and his improved massively too from his time with LP.
3. Trae plays a lot more under control and runs the offense Nate has, LP offense was Trae ball. Also, Trae does a lot less baiting now which is a good thing as a watcher of the Hawks.

Trae does deserve a lot more respect but he's not the biggest reason for our upswing.

Steezy

Career 13 ppg scorer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Atlanta
he's just not very liked on the internet for whatever reason...maybe it's a Atlanta thing but he was getting hated very heavily on Oklahoma as well. fans do ride for him based off last year's all star votes and he's pretty respected by most hoop insiders..save a bill simmons.

he's a phenomenal player...prolly won't be a mvp candidate unless the hawks crack top 2 seeding..even then trae gonna give you his 26&9...that'll be up to hunter and reddish fufiling their potential

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I think CP3 deserves MVP with what he's done for Phoenix, he can't even get a fair mention in the conversation without people minimizing his impact for what he's doing for the Suns.
That’s who my choice would be. Especially since Embiid doesn’t have enough games. But we all know that’s not going to happen because of pre-established narratives.