Why Isn’t Trae Young in the MVP Conversation ?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Atlanta Hawk fans..... Do you bite the bullet and match whatever offer comes in for Collins or do you still go through with the sign and trade depending on the price?

I wouldn't be too keen on paying a player a near max extension with no defined role on defense and can't generate offense without being assisted on. In a way, I feel like Capela makes him expendable, which is why they traded for him in the first place.

I try to do a sign and trade first but I’m not letting him go without getting anything so I’m matching offers. I’m hoping the hawks take some of their other players and consider packing them up into a deal and acquiring a star quality vet team leader type of guy which probably won’t be available as it isn’t many of those guys around. Internal development is probably what they need the most and consistency in coaching. Not a massive roster overhaul.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trae Young averages 25.5 PPG but that's all anyone pays attention to.
They ignore the fact that he's defensively terrible and doesn't offer as much of an impact on the floor as many other players.

He doesn't even crack the top 20 in value over replacement.
If people could get over their infatuation with PPG (which matters, but is not everything), a more honest assessment of value can be had.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I try to do a sign and trade first but I’m not letting him go without getting anything so I’m matching offers. I’m hoping the hawks take some of their other players and consider packing them up into a deal and acquiring a star quality vet team leader type of guy which probably won’t be available as it isn’t many of those guys around. Internal development is probably what they need the most and consistency in coaching. Not a massive roster overhaul.

They won't be able to pay everyone of their young players, so it would make sense that they try and consolidate some of them to bring in a more established talent. It's just been obvious for a while now that they aren't really a fan of throwing the bag at Collins and would rather try and flip him for assets in a sign and trade.

Plus their success this year has kind of accelerated their timeline in that they don't really have the time now to wait for the majority of their young players to come along.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They won't be able to pay everyone of their young players, so it would make sense that they try and consolidate some of them to bring in a more established talent. It's just been obvious for a while now that they aren't really a fan of throwing the bag at Collins and would rather try and flip him for assets in a sign and trade.

Plus their success this year has kind of accelerated their timeline in that they don't really have the time now to wait for the majority of their young players to come along.

Almost every season we see a team do this. The assumption is that the team will continue to improve and the players will further develop. But with this team it’s definitely time to like you said consolidate players into that major piece. I can see why they aren’t enamored with maxing Collins but i most definitely can’t let him go without getting anything back.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The Hawks are currently a 4 seed, just like the Nuggets...

The roster has been riddled with injuries all season just like the Nuggets.

He doesn’t defend anyone just like the leading MVP candidate from the Nuggets.

Not saying he deserves it. But the fact he’s not even in the conversation seems like media hate.
Jokic is a good rebounder, drop back P&R defender, has great active hands, and is a good man-to-man post defender, he also runs out and contests stretch bigs.

Jokic is not a good rim protector and can’t guard the elite vertical spacers like Anthony Davis. Overall, he’s a good team defender stop spreading this myth.

Young is not an MVP candidate because Clint Capela has arguably been their best player or has been as good as Trae and he’s been putting up dominant stat lines every other night it seems probably giving Hawks fans shades of Mutombo.

Just because a guy is on a high seed and putting up some good numbers doesn’t automatically make them an MVP candidate. Trae will likely be in the back end of the top 10 for the award.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Almost every season we see a team do this. The assumption is that the team will continue to improve and the players will further develop. But with this team it’s definitely time to like you said consolidate players into that major piece. I can see why they aren’t enamored with maxing Collins but i most definitely can’t let him go without getting anything back.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
So do you feel like this era is watered down and all offensive stats are inflated?

Yep because the game is tailored now towards offense instead of defense. It's why I've mentioned that a lot of players in the league now are putting up numbers with minimal impact, yet using it as an excuse of why they are/were a snub. I know people on this site hate analytics, but that's how it's going to help establish greatness and whose worthy of All-Star/All NBA consideration in this era.

The perfect example of Anthony Edwards. If you look at his raw numbers, then yes he'd be ROY. But if you look deeper into the numbers, then he's one of the worst SG's in the league and is not ROY over Lamelo. The exact argument and knock towards him coming out of college.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

I'm not a believer in maxing out a young core just because they show potential. That's how a team runs into eventual situations where the team is treading water where the majority of their young players that they paid don't become good enough to become franchise difference makers or elevate the team.

It's exactly like the situation Sacramento finds themselves in where they have a good young core, but none of them are good enough to elevate the team.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Yep because the game is tailored now towards offense instead of defense. It's why I've mentioned that a lot of players in the league now are putting up numbers with minimal impact, yet using it as an excuse of why they are/were a snub. I know people on this site hate analytics, but that's how it's going to help establish greatness and whose worthy of All-Star/All NBA consideration in this era.

The perfect example of Anthony Edwards. If you look at his raw numbers, then yes he'd be ROY. But if you look deeper into the numbers, then he's one of the worst SG's in the league and is not ROY over Lamelo. The exact argument and knock towards him coming out of college.
Ant Edwards team situation needs to be considered.

He’s not as bad as the analytics make him out to be. Although yes LaMelo is better.

Also, I don’t believe stats are “inflated” people need to understand pace and space. Nobody says the numbers in the 80’s are inflated. Hell, no one says the numbers in the 60’s are inflated, Wilt/Oscar/Elgin/Russell numbers are contextualized as being because of weak competition when really it was super high pace that modern fans couldn’t imagine.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Ant Edwards team situation needs to be considered.

He’s not as bad as the analytics make him out to be. Although yes LaMelo is better.

Also, I don’t believe stats are “inflated” people need to understand pace and space. Nobody says the numbers in the 80’s are inflated. Hell, no one says the numbers in the 60’s are inflated, Wilt/Oscar/Elgin/Russell numbers are contextualized as being because of weak competition when really it was super high pace that modern fans couldn’t imagine.

He's gotten better the 2nd half of the seasons, but the analytics into his numbers aren't pretty when you look at the entire season's body of work. I'm going to post the numbers that I did a few days ago:
  • Edwards is shooting just 48% on 2-pointers and 33% on 3-pointers. His effective field-goal percentage (48%) ranks 118th among 126 qualified players.
  • He’s averaging 2.8 assists per game and 2.3 turnovers per game. Among non-bigs averaging so many turnovers per game, only Pistons forward Josh Jackson is averaging fewer assists per game than Edwards.
  • Edwards’ defensive estimated plus-minus (-1.2) ranks in the 23rd percentile.
Edwards will get there, but the question is will he and the team become good enough in time to convince KAT to stay long term.

To your second point about inflated stats, that's because a lot of people are biased when it comes to the older generations and tend to overlook the aspects of the game at that time which would change the narrative of those player's greatness.