Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also he never had a valuable protege like how Dre had Snoop, or Timbo had Ginuwine/Missy, or Pharrell had Timberlake.

But he's definitely top 10 producers regardless

This quik hate in this thread is crazy disrespectful

"he didnt have a Shook Ones or a T.R.O.Y."

what the fukk does that even mean

those can be reasons why he wasnt bigger in the mainstream but to use that statement as to why he's not a great producer is dumb

You're getting way too emotional. People are answering the question from the title of the post. Quik doesn't have nearly as many big songs as most of the other production legends we can name.
That's why he isn't a bigger deal, his name doesn't come up as often as it should, because people remember the producers who have big songs.

And @smokeurobinson is right about Quik not really popping out East. Doesn't mean Quik is less dope. But for whatever reason, we caught on to NWA and everything that came from that tree (Cube, DOC, some Above the Law etc) , then started rocking with Mc Eiht & Spice 1 to some extent, then Death Row, but not so much DJ Quik.
When I think of slept on West Coast producers, I think Battlecat. That nygga made this beat :scust:
And Kurupt did what he needed to do. Imagine if Quik was working with Kurupt during THIS era

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Damn that's crazy how everyone says Quik captures the vibe of Cali in his music ,I've always felt the same thing :ohhh:
Not just cali..Quik sound is deeper than being regional...

Quik sound is fish fry barbecue. .hitting the city with a bad ass broad or 2...house party shyt..blowfly type shyt

That's when came out..hearing he was from compton..u thought it was some more gang banging shyt..

Hell the mix tapes he has was just him n hi c see amG n k having fun

nikkas in the streets knew based of the streets he would mention..n he was using crip slang ..to represent tree top on liked out hood..which was funny..

Wasn't no other bloods in the industry at the time jus..him hi c N 2nd ii none. ..

He didn't have shyt to prove...like eiht n the others Killin 9000 nikkas on wax..

But if u ran up on any of quits crew a fight cane with it..they never backed down from anyone even out numbered

Quik is the Isaac Hayes of rap. .nobody had the production Isaac had...

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
nah on all counts.

conflating soul, neo-soul, RnB and pop as hip hop is a huge issue, even to this day. e.g. the Hotline Bling Grammy nom. Just because it's a Black artist who may even borrow a hip hop element doesn't make their music hip hop

Let's say Rakim decided to get Quincy Jones to produce an album for him. He's rapping over nothing but Quincy Jones beats

Would u say that's not hiphop because Quincy Jones ain't a hiphop producer?

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
You're getting way too emotional. People are answering the question from the title of the post. Quik doesn't have nearly as many big songs as most of the other production legends we can name.
That's why he isn't a bigger deal, his name doesn't come up as often as it should, because people remember the producers who have big songs.

And @smokeurobinson is right about Quik not really popping out East. Doesn't mean Quik is less dope. But for whatever reason, we caught on to NWA and everything that came from that tree (Cube, DOC, some Above the Law etc) , then started rocking with Mc Eiht & Spice 1 to some extent, then Death Row, but not so much DJ Quik.
When I think of slept on West Coast producers, I think Battlecat. That nygga made this beat :scust:
And Kurupt did what he needed to do. Imagine if Quik was working with Kurupt during THIS era

Quik has songs ppl remember... on the net nikkas just play crazy...

Long as the nikkas he gets compared to know what's up..all that matter..

Ppl blame Quik for justify my thug...but that's the shyt Jay wanted...n it was a throw away beat

Same with ball n mjg...buck bounce n janKY ..some shyt he was literally ready to throw away....ball n G both wanted those beats..

nikka forget h e made shaQ sound great...gave Peter gunny a 2nd life.. hell I wanted to hear a Peter gunnz album produced by quik

Guru even said Quik came in on some mad scientist shyt...Givin everybody tips on they sound. .n how to use equipment properly n shyt..had everybody like :ohhh:

Last edited:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Let's say Rakim decided to get Quincy Jones to produce an album for him. He's rapping over nothing but Quincy Jones beats

Would u say that's not hiphop because Quincy Jones ain't a hiphop producer?

Yep. Are the beats hip hop or not? Quincy Jones is a genius in every sense of the word, but he never made hip hop. Rapping alone doesn't make something hip hop.

If Quincy suddenly switched his MO and started making hip hop beats as great as RZA/Premo, then had Rakim rap on it, then yes... it'd be a hip hop album

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Yep. Are the beats hip hop or not? Quincy Jones is a genius in every sense of the word, but he never made hip hop. Rapping alone doesn't make something hip hop.

If Quincy suddenly switched his MO and started making hip hop beats as great as RZA/Premo, then had Rakim rap on it, then yes... it'd be a hip hop album
:beli:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Yes it does

Rapping is one of the elements of hiphop

Breakdancing is hiphop also

taking an element from hip hop doesn't make something hip hop, breh :dwillhuh:

So if I go to a classical symphony performance, and in the midst of the ballet dancing, someone starts breakdancing... all of a sudden the entire thing was one big hip hop performance? Cmon breh.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I remember a older Mexican dude told me he went from gangster rap to RnB so it made me think:ohhh:

And y'all notice alot of Mexicans listen to Quik and Suga Free:dead:

As quik titled it himself he was 'Way 2 Fonky"

IMO his sound was too funk influenced to be mainstream. Example here are two songs with the same sample, from Dre and Quik. You'll notice Dre tones down funk feeling and swing out the track.

Also Quik's drums ain't all that. :francis:

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
taking an element from hip hop doesn't make something hip hop, breh :dwillhuh:

So if I go to a classical symphony performance, and in the midst of the ballet dancing, someone starts breakdancing... all of a sudden the entire thing was one big hip hop performance? Cmon breh.
If dude is breakdancing for real than yeah he really started performing a hiphop act in the middle of whatever else he was doing