Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
LOL @ Safe N Sound

I was there....

Quik never had a "Come Clean" or "Kick In The Door" like Preemo.....Quik never had a "Shook Ones 2" like havoc....Quik never had a "Triump" like Rza. Quik never had a TROY like Peter Rock.

fukk is your point?

He's still a better producer/musician than every nikka you named including Dre.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Op asked a question....I answered, thats the point. Stop being sensetive

What do u mean so?....Dude made a mistake and I corrected him..aint no so...

You answered with some nonsense, and dude didn't make a mistake. Those records played in every market except NYC. And that's only because of y'all hating ass DJ's.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You answered with some nonsense, and dude didn't make a mistake. Those records played in every market except NYC. And that's only because of y'all hating ass DJ's.

I answered with truth and u just dont like the answer. And actually yes that would be a mistake if he's incorrect also i already said dude was getting love down south which means u didnt even have to bring any of that up.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Its like every time Quik was about to strike it gold, life threw another curve ball his way.

I think Quik should have branched out and worked with, or produced more R&B/R&B artist. That would have helped him crossover, break into becoming. more mainstream. I love his hard shyt, but Ive always thought his sound was far better suited for R&B.

straight up.

I've rarely heard anything from Quik that has that hip hop energy.

Isn't this one of his harder joints?

^that shyt is straight up RnB to me.

"Fandango" is more hip hop to me, and the most hip hop-sounding Quik track I know. It aint even that great.

I still think "Justify My Thug" is the best hip hop beat Quik ever made.

Exactly. There were times when he tried to brand out- Rhythmaslism, and Blackqout album were his attempts, but even those didn't quite push the envelope.

Breh, can you please recommend the top 3 undeniable joints on both albums? :salute:

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
straight up.

I've rarely heard anything from Quik that has that hip hop energy.

Isn't this one of his harder joints?

^that shyt is straight up RnB to me.

"Fandango" is more hip hop to me, and the most hip hop-sounding Quik track I know.

The music Quik produced was more Funk, R&B and Jazz than it was hiphop.

That's why it's kind of dumb comparing him to hiphop producers like Rza and Preemo. I would put Quik up there with the Funk producers. Dr Dre, Erick Sermon, Big Hutch etc

This was prolly the most hiphop beat he made and it's still more fast paced and danceable than the average hiphop track

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
I answered with truth and u just dont like the answer. And actually yes that would be a mistake if he's incorrect also i already said dude was getting love down south which means u didnt even have to bring any of that up.

Again, he got love everywhere except NY.

That's not just "down south."

Whether someone got play in NY or not before '98 has no bearing on their worth as an artist.

nikkas was crabs.

SirBiatch

Daps
The true talent of Dj Quik is he didn't make "beats" he produced real music

When people heard this they didn't ask what hiphop producer made this beat? Because it didn't sound like a hiphop beat

If somebody like Rza or Preemo made a beat for a R&B group in the 90's it wouldn't sound like a beautifully produced song it would just sound like a R&B group singing over a hiphop instrumental

Get what I'm sayin?

that beat is exactly Quik's lane, and it's RnB.

...wait...why would u use some weird made up rule where real music is defined by not using a sample drum loop

i fukking hate when so-called hip hop fans do this. shyt is such a slap in the face. :stopitslime:

I think mainly because his specific brand of Cali music is vapid sounding even though it's executed expertly at a high level. If you aren't in Cali it won't resonate properly.

totally agree

So we gon' act like Pitch In OnA Party isn't a universally recognized hip hop beat??? :mindblown:

nah. I've never heard that beat anywhere.

Like @Big Mel, I can totally understand listening to this in sunny LA on some rooftop at night. But this shyt aint universal by any means

The music Quik produced was more Funk, R&B and Jazz than it was hiphop.[/MEDIA]

that's fair. Which is why I never fukked with Quik :yeshrug:

On a different note, this is why I hate seeing funk/jazz/RnB-esque albums being marketed as hip hop, and, even more insulting, somehow being more real hip hop than the actual hip hop being produced in the genre. Perfect example is that bullshyt marketing for To Pimp a Butterfly. As much as hip hop is born from funk, jazz and soul music, hip hop is not actually those things. It's an entirely different beast.

So telling me you're taking it back to real instruments doesn't mean shyt to me (and I don't mean you specifically - just saying that generally). All I see is a dude who wasn't into hip hop to begin with and is trying to devolve the culture.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
that's fair. Which is why I never fukked with Quik :yeshrug:

On a different note, this is why I hate seeing funk/jazz/RnB-esque albums being marketed as hip hop, and, even more insulting, somehow being more real hip hop than the actual hip hop being produced in the genre. Perfect example is that bullshyt marketing for To Pimp a Butterfly. As much as hip hop is born from funk, jazz and soul music, hip hop is not actually those things. It's an entirely different beast.

So telling me you're taking it back to real instruments doesn't mean shyt to me (and I don't mean you specifically - just saying that generally). All I see is a dude who wasn't into hip hop to begin with and is trying to devolve the culture.
U gotta remember there's a difference between Rap albums and HipHop albums tho

A good example is Erykah Badu and Beyoncé. They're not rappers but they both put out some HipHop albums

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is a HipHop album even tho she don't do too much rapping in it

SirBiatch

Daps
U gotta remember there's a difference between Rap albums and HipHop albums tho

A good example is Erykah Badu and Beyoncé. They're not rappers but they both put out some HipHop albums

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is a HipHop album even tho she don't do too much rapping in it

nah on all counts.

conflating soul, neo-soul, RnB and pop as hip hop is a huge issue, even to this day. e.g. the Hotline Bling Grammy nom. Just because it's a Black artist who may even borrow a hip hop element doesn't make their music hip hop