Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Quick should of produced more for others.

Alot of His beats were waisted on himself
I wouldn't say he wasted the beats because they fit perfect with what he raps about

He's about partying, fukkin bishes, having fun. That goes good with Funk beats

Suga Free was the perfect dude for his production. It sucks he found him so late into his career and they didn't work wit each other much after his first 2 albums

Rollo Goodlove

Palestine Titty
Daps
Reppin
California, America
what was the DJ Quik beat that stood out the most in the 90's??

:jbhmm:

Dre got numerous stand out beats...Eric Sermon too....Preemo, Havoc, Rza and Pete Rock.

What DJ Quik beat was the #1 over the top beat that hip hop acknowledged in the 90's cuz I dont remember. I'm talking about a beat Hip Hop audeinces acknowledged...Not something on an album that u have to be a fan to know.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
The shirt Adam Levine got on is hiphop. It doesn't mean he is hiphop

But it's different when you talk about making albums. Adam Levine ain't hiphop but if he decided to make an album singing over nothing but Rza, Preemo, Havoc beats then it would be considered a hiphop album he put out

nah. It'd be considered RnB/trip hop/pop or some shyt. We'd say it's hip hop-influenced RnB/pop, like Aaliyah.

For you to make hip hop music, you gotta have a hip hop beat and you gotta rap. This is basic.

This not my era but quik shyt aged way better than premo and rza.

said no one.

The examples @smokeurobinson posted are nowhere near RZA and Premo's best work. He posted them to illustrate a point about how they mixed other genres' musical approach (jazz in this instance) while still firmly in hip hop, not as a quality stamp of their best work

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Quik has songs ppl remember... on the net nikkas just play crazy...

Long as the nikkas he gets compared to know what's up..all that matter..

Ppl blame Quik for justify my thug...but that's the shyt Jay wanted...n it was a throw away beat

Same with ball n mjg...buck bounce n janKY ..some shyt he was literally
ready to throw away....ball n G both wanted those beats..

nikka forget h e made shaQ sound great...gave Peter gunny a 2nd life.. hell I wanted to hear a Peter gunnz album produced by quik

Guru even said Quik came in on some mad scientist shyt...Givin everybody tips on they sound. .n how to use equipment properly n shyt..had everybody like :ohhh:

Quik doesn't have as many memorable joints as the other hip-hop producers in his weight class, point blank period.
And it has a lot to do with some of the artists he worked with. But like you said, the other producers in his era know what's up.

Quik doesn't get enough recognition for his engineering wizadry, because it's not a glamorous thing in the fans eyes. Most fans just think about the person whose name is listed under production.

We also have to blame his deal with Profile, which apparently kept him from even trying to get proper credits on his Death Row work.

He also should have done at least an EP with Raphael Saadiq while both of them were still hot.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Yep. Are the beats hip hop or not? Quincy Jones is a genius in every sense of the word, but he never made hip hop. Rapping alone doesn't make something hip hop.

If Quincy suddenly switched his MO and started making hip hop beats as great as RZA/Premo, then had Rakim rap on it, then yes... it'd be a hip hop album
:mjlol: @ Rakim rapping over Secret Garden

RebelHebrew

Rookie
Daps
nah. It'd be considered RnB/trip hop/pop or some shyt. We'd say it's hip hop-influenced RnB/pop, like Aaliyah.

For you to make hip hop music, you gotta have a hip hop beat and you gotta rap. This is basic.

said no one.

The examples @smokeurobinson posted are nowhere near RZA and Premo's best work. He posted them to illustrate a point about how they mixed other genres' musical approach (jazz in this instance) while still firmly in hip hop, not as a quality stamp of their best work
I get that but it still dont change the fact alot of preemo and rza stuff dont stand the test of time. Alot of that boom bap production didnt age to well

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
and lol at Rakim incorporating it in his set after "Eric B is President" and "Microphone Fiend" while expecting his audience not to have a problem with that:mjlol:
It sounds funny but if it was done the right way his audience would love it

Hiphop is as big as it is because of the way it can smoothly infiltrate other genres

Jay z fans loved it when Danger Mouse dropped The Grey Album. Jay z over music by the Beatles

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
It sounds funny but if it was done the right way his audience would love it

no they wouldn't. Unless it was done in a hip hop way.

Hiphop is as big as it is because of the way it can smoothly infiltrate other genres

Hip hop is as big as it is because it's eclectic. Not because it pretends to be other genres.

We borrow sounds from other genres to keep our beats unique and always interesting, but we don't ape that genre wholesale. Because otherwise, what would be the point?

Jay z fans loved it when Danger Mouse dropped The Grey Album. Jay z over music by the Beatles

no they didn't. I experienced those releases in real time breh. Indie rock cacs embraced that shyt. Most nikkas still have no idea those albums were ever made, and the ones that know don't give a fukk.

Jacaveli The Don

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#NarcissistGang
I've said this before but Quik is not just a sampler/beat maker like the other producers mentioned, Quik writes his own raps, produces the beats (a lot of the time with no samples), arranges songs for others, mixes, and plays the instruments himself.
Who else in hip hop can do that?

Quik has his fingerprints in a LOT of major songs, the last big one I know of was 'My nikka' by YG. He mixed most of 'All Eyez On Me' in 12 days. His drums were borrowed by Dre on 'In Da Club' by 50 Cent. 'Get Nekkid' by Mausberg was sampled by Pharrell on Nelly's 'Hot In Herre' and by Terrace Martin on Kendrick Lamar's 'King Kunta'.

I could go on

The people who are talking slick about Quik in this thread clearly have not listened to his discography, I'm no Jay-Z fan but I have and heard every album of his so I have a right to critique his work for example.