Why doesn’t Nintendo get shyt for not having backwards compatibility?

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Nintendo historically has been a company that never really practiced backwards compatibility on their major consoles. They did it on the Wii-U and that's about it I believe. Think they've just conditioned folks to accept it and keep it moving

you could put a game cube disk in the Wii. Think it might have had VC as well. I think at most for each system the made you could go back 1 gen with no issue. even with the DS and Gameboy? At the bottom, one handheld had a slot for the top and bottom of it can't remember which one tho.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
It's because they keep making the same games over and over again.

Mario Kart 9 probably won't be out until 2023(mind u 8 came out in 2014:francis:) , what would a Switch owner want with Mario Kart 7?

U can also easily emulate the classics up to the GameCube.

Nintendo is basically niche at this point

I'm deadass surprised MK8 became the GTA kind of seller for the switch. Thing just won't stopp selling. but it's probably because it has to be the entry level game for the switch. you buy the console, you buy that game.

Daps
But over the long arc of history, this isn't true.

GBA was BC with GB.
DS was BC with GBA.
3DS is BC with the DS.
Wii was BC with the GC (at first anyways).
Wii U was BC with the GC.

Switch is the first time a console has flat-out not been BC since the N64, and it's because the games are formatted to SD flash cards. So I'm not upset.

I'll agree with ya'll that it's bullshyt their first party titles never drop in price. But..that's the Nintendo effect.

Thank you at least someone is dropping facts

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
People just love Nintendo's games so much that they don't have to update their practices. Their games also largely appeal to casuals and kids who don't scrutinize business practices. They just want to turn their system on and play something fun.

Something that I don't get is why people considered the Wii U a trash console when the majority of Nintendo's content for the Switch came from Wii U
- Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Mario 3d World
- New Super Mario Brothers 2
- Pikmin 3
- Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
- Wonderful 101
among others.
Wii U also had a real 'virtual console' where you could buy games for a variety of systems instead of hiding them behind an online paywall.

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
But over the long arc of history, this isn't true.

GBA was BC with GB.
DS was BC with GBA.
3DS is BC with the DS.
Wii was BC with the GC (at first anyways).
Wii U was BC with the GC.

Switch is the first time a console has flat-out not been BC since the N64, and it's because the games are formatted to SD flash cards. So I'm not upset.

I'll agree with ya'll that it's bullshyt their first party titles never drop in price. But..that's the Nintendo effect.

Quoting again because people seem to be overlooking this post.

Again I really wish posts could get pinned to the top of threads

Daps
As a fan I’ll be objective here

Nintendo fukked up in a lot of ways no analog triggers in their controllers despite the old ass GameCube being the one of the first to have them.

Poor online no messaging and party chat.

Lack of third party.

Weak hardware.

But their 1st party content is GOAT
Although I’ll agree Sony is catching up.

Concerning backward compatibility, the Wii and Wii U era was pretty decent, it’s only really been the switch where it’s not really acceptable. The GameCube and N64 were too different for it to be backwards compatible. The Handhelds have also had decent backward compatibility.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
People just love Nintendo's games so much that they don't have to update their practices. Their games also largely appeal to casuals and kids who don't scrutinize business practices. They just want to turn their system on and play something fun.

Something that I don't get is why people considered the Wii U a trash console when the majority of Nintendo's content for the Switch came from Wii U
- Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Mario 3d World
- Pikmin 3
- Wonderful 101
among others.
Wii U also had a real 'virtual console' where you could buy games for a variety of systems instead of hiding them behind an online paywall.

BOTW was on Wii-U? I thought it was just initialky slated for it, but went to Switch.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

- Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Mario 3d World
- Pikmin 3
- Wonderful 101
among others.

No one is gonna deny Nintendo doesn't deliver when it comes to its 1st party titles. But the Wii U had nothing else. What notable non-exclsuives did it have? The biggest improvement the Switch has is that its JRPG is fukkin fantastic. Also, its 3rd party support has been decent. Although portability is the main factor if we are being objective. People complained about the droughts the Switch has had, which was nowhere near as bad as those for the Wii U.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No one is gonna deny Nintendo doesn't deliver when it comes to its 1st party titles. But the Wii U had nothing else. What notable non-exclsuives did it have? The biggest improvement the Switch has is that its JRPG is fukkin fantastic. Also, its 3rd party support has been decent. Although portability is the main factor if we are being objective. People complained about the droughts the Switch has had, which was nowhere near as bad as those for the Wii U.

The Wii U and switch really aren’t that different. All the big games on the switch were on the Wii-u and the switch also has a shyt 3rd party line up, but thats kind of been Nintendo’s MO since the wii.

The only reason the drought hasn’t been bad is because people keep buying the wii-u games lol

ahxgxj8.jpg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The Wii U and switch really aren’t that different. All the big games on the switch were on the Wii-u and the switch also has a shyt 3rd party line up, but thats kind of been Nintendo’s MO since the wii.

The only reason the drought hasn’t been bad is because people keep buying the wii-u games lol

ahxgxj8.jpg

At this point it’s like, what are the actual switch exclusive games that are selling?

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

ahxgxj8.jpg
Calling Splatoon 2 and Smash ultimate ports is kind of disrespectful.

You are just looking at 1st party. Nintendo is doing decent in terms of 3rd party support which line I said before was non existent for the Wii U.

I mean it’s nowhere near the level of Microsoft and Sony clearly.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Calling Splatoon 2 and Smash ultimate ports is kind of disrespectful.

You are just looking at 1st party. Nintendo is doing decent in terms of 3rd party support which line I said before was non existent for the Wii U.

I mean it’s nowhere near the level of Microsoft and Sony clearly.

What so different about smash ultimate? I knew they updated some textures but to me it looks like esssentially the same game that they’ve just been slowly releasing more dlc for. It’s not a sequel to the wii-u version.