Why does the Black community depreciate Black clothing brands while putting white clothing brands on a pedestal?

Daps
In 1992 if I wore Karl Kani or Polo, I would be fly. But in 2024 if I wear Karl Kani, cats would swear I just got out of prison from doing 30 years and I'm wearing the clothes still in my closet from 30 years ago. But I'd still be fly if I rocked Polo in 2024

Late 90's/early 2000's, if I rocked FUBU, Phat Farm or Versace I'd be fly. But in 2024 if I wear FUBU or Phat Farm, cats would think I buy my clothes from garage sales. But I'd still be fly if I rocked Versace in 2024

Why is that?

:jbhmm:

Why did we depreciate Karl Kani....Fubu....Sean John...Rocawear? Is it psychological damage from slavery that the Black community makes it seem as if the white mans ice is colder when it comes to clothing brands? Polo, Versace, Prada, D&G, Armani, Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vatton.....All hot in 2024 just like they were in the 90's and even prior

Billionaires Boys Club seems to be the only Black clothing brand that has lasted decades. 1 damn clothing brand.

Essentials/Fear Of God is hot now but only time will tell.

Barriers is hot now but again, only time will tell

Yeezys don't count because Adidas is the manufacturer and if u wanted to count them, they are finished because Yeezy depreciated them himself with his crazy ranting. Jordans don't count. The white man made that movie "Air" to let us know that Jordan did not create the Jordan sneakers, the white man did. They went as far as telling us in that movie the white man had to plead with Jordan to make that sneaker because he wasn't into it at first.

( And don't no one dare come in here with that "Lacoste was a Black Man" nonsense:comeon:)
The black brands marketed only to black people when they were hot. If you want a sustainable business marketing to just black people is not enough at some point. Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc. are legacy brands that been around a century and are well capitalized to survive any downturns. And yes there will always be a large subset of black people who aspire to wear European brands because of status even though 99.9% are made in China, or by Chinese factories in Italy.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
The black brands marketed only to black people when they were hot. If you want a sustainable business marketing to just black people is not enough at some point. Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc. are legacy brands that been around a century and are well capitalized to survive any downturns. And yes there will always be a large subset of black people who aspire to wear European brands because of status even though 99.9% are made in China, or by Chinese factories in Italy.

But see now the question is why is it that the Black community can't sustain a Black clothing brand after it's debut hype? Why do that to just the Black brands when the white brands don't get that same treatment? You would think "OK this is for us, by us so lets make sure to upkeep this." You would think that's how it would be. If we know those white clothing brands aren't marketing to us why do we depreciate what's for us and then turn around and put a higher value on that which isn't even aimed at us? The question I'm asking is why does the community do that?

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Can someone put me on game of black owned clothing that's not considered street wear?

Damn shame no one ever responded to you so I'll respond.

If you are referring to casual wear, only one I can think of is Sean John

If you are referring to NOT TOO GAUDY...basic wear.....only ones I got are:

Crumbs To Crowns
and
Nipsey Hussles The Marathon Clothing....they got some cool polo shirts.

Everything else is gaudy....

Tulones
Denim Tears
Wckdthghts
Bikiy
Murder Bravado
moneyb4sleep
Gallery DEPT

All of those are gaudy which does say a lot about how a good portion of these Black designers aim for gaudy and street fashion looks over casual.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Most Black clothing brands followed trends, so when the trends changed, they went out of style. And most of these hip hop brands were made for younger people. When you grow older and start going to work, usually your style gets a bit more conservative.

Look at brands like Polo, yeah they’ll have some trendy stuff, but you can also get the same shirt from them today that your dad wore in 1988

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Most Black clothing brands followed trends, so when the trends changed, they went out of style. And most of these hip hop brands were made for younger people. When you grow older and start going to work, usually your style gets a bit more conservative.

Look at brands like Polo, yeah they’ll have some trendy stuff, but you can also get the same shirt from them today that your dad wore in 1988
To add to this, the euro fashion houses have signature pieces they built their name on….LV has their luggage and bags, Burberry has raincoats, Cartier has jewelry and eyeglass frames, Ralph Lauren/lascoste has polos… brands like Sean, John or FUBU never innovative, or pioneered a signature piece

ReasonableMatic

Daps
But see now the question is why is it that the Black community can't sustain a Black clothing brand after its debut hype? Why do that to just the Black brands when the white brands don't get that same treatment? You would think "OK this is for us, by us so let’s make sure to upkeep this." You would think that's how it would be. If we know those white clothing brands aren't marketing to us why do we depreciate what's for us and then turn around and put a higher value on that which isn't even aimed at us? The question I'm asking is why does the community do that?
Great-great deep questions.

So I’ll build on that with the following question.

Why is it that so many in the Black community put Christianity, lslam and Judaism over African Traditional Spiritual systems?

Answer(s) to your questions, are in answers to that question.

It’s deep uncomfortable truths that most Black ppl are not ready to answer.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Where is Tommy Hillfiger? United Colors of Benneton? Ed Hardy? Abercrombie? Von Dutch? Guess? Juicy Coture? Nautica?

You're comparing fledgling hip hop brands to the most successful clothing brands and Fashion Houses ever...not many brands last long. Polo is an outlier and even that was established in 1972. Gucci is 100 years old and Louis is like 175 years old. You're not even comparing apples and oranges, its apples and cherries.
Abercrombie just made a big comeback. :yeshrug:

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
no, there is plenty of truth in that. people with money and class wear brands that 99% of black hypebeasts have never even heard of, obscure and nondescript labels whose output is of exceptional quality in terms of materials and construction.

my closet is filled with pieces from brands that would have most brehs go :wtf:

i get a lot of my shirts and jackets from labels in germany and amsterdam.
They still care about brands and names. They are the ones buying those 45K purses and shyt.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Lot of that stuff didn’t age well. Also it doesn’t help when the age police decide to hop in and tell you what you can and can’t wear at 40. The people who grew up on Jordan’s can’t wear Jordan’s now :snoop: People will clown you if you wore a classic Karl Kani or Fubu fit, it is what it is. Maybe make some understated pieces like a tee with a small logo, etc. if people want to drop their paychecks on lucrative brands, who am I to stop them??

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Damn shame no one ever responded to you so I'll respond.

If you are referring to casual wear, only one I can think of is Sean John

If you are referring to NOT TOO GAUDY...basic wear.....only ones I got are:

Crumbs To Crowns
and
Nipsey Hussles The Marathon Clothing....they got some cool polo shirts.

Everything else is gaudy....

Tulones
Denim Tears
Wckdthghts
Bikiy
Murder Bravado
moneyb4sleep
Gallery DEPT

All of those are gaudy which does say a lot about how a good portion of these Black designers aim for gaudy and street fashion looks over casual.
Thanks for the hookup. Crumbs To Crowns seems to be more simple and clean look at a normal price. Wish they had some polo's but ima grab a few tees.

I'm 37 and not into any type of gaudy wear. I literally like the simple color/black tees with little or no logos at all or button up/polo's. It's easy to find what I like in places Target but I don't mind paying a premium if I find the right brand that's black owned. Kinda feel like this is a real void that isn't filled yet.